The Student Room Group

What is the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?

Hi there in year 12 at the moment and starting to thing what I would like to do at university. Can someone please explain the main differences between chemical engineering and chemistry? Which one would offer the best job prospects? and what sort of topics does each degree cover how does the course differ?
Also is it preferred to do meng instead of beng?
Chemistry is the theory on a small scale as well as crossovers into quantum mechanics or biochem.

Chemical Engineering is the scaling up of what we know and is more physics and maths with some chemistry. Its things like fluid dynamics and thermodynamics and stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Chemistry is the theory on a small scale as well as crossovers into quantum mechanics or biochem.

Chemical Engineering is the scaling up of what we know and is more physics and maths with some chemistry. Its things like fluid dynamics and thermodynamics and stuff.

A chemist will be asked to produce a drug or a new chemical or do things on a microscopic scale with lots of precision equipment. You will need to know about atom structure/movement and biochem.

A chemical engineer will be asked to find a way to produce that new drug or chemical in a large scale for public use or whatever. You use a lot physics laws and forces and thermodynamics etc to make the equipment or improve existing methods.
Original post by ETRC
A chemist will be asked to produce a drug or a new chemical or do things on a microscopic scale with lots of precision equipment. You will need to know about atom structure/movement and biochem.

A chemical engineer will be asked to find a way to produce that new drug or chemical in a large scale for public use or whatever. You use a lot physics laws and forces and thermodynamics etc to make the equipment or improve existing methods.

Exactly :biggrin:

So it depends on what you prefer OP. I used to want to do chemeng but realised I wanted the 'purer' stuff for lack of a better word so am going for Chemistry.

Chemical Engineering however has good career prospects.
Reply 4
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Exactly :biggrin:

So it depends on what you prefer OP. I used to want to do chemeng but realised I wanted the 'purer' stuff for lack of a better word so am going for Chemistry.

Chemical Engineering however has good career prospects.

Are you doing OCR A2 chemistry btw?
If you are do you think I should get the CGP book or the OCR one.
the OCR physics book is useless so idk if i should get chem or not.
Chemistry is why molecules behave how they do, whereas Chemical engineering is how we can use these compounds to makes some money. Chemical engineers earn a lot more, their degree has maths, learning of separation techniques, lab works. Chemical engineers tend to work in multidisciplinary teams so require team working and leadership skills. But if your gonna do Chemical Engineering MEng is very important to get into industry!
Chemical engineers need manage resources, get to design chemical plants and impact the world stretching from foods, pharmaceuticals, energy and water
Chemical engineering is the 2nd highest paid job after graduation behind dentistry, people who do chemistry tend to end up in finance and some are lucky to get into chemistry fields but its low paid compared to chemical engineers.
People haven't mentioned that Chemical Engineers do cool stuff like working on oil rigs :awesome:
Original post by ETRC
Are you doing OCR A2 chemistry btw?
If you are do you think I should get the CGP book or the OCR one.
the OCR physics book is useless so idk if i should get chem or not.

Yep

Urmmm I think OCR one is better bet but I don't use them

Maybe I'll use them this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending