.Trooper.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
"8.2g of propan-2-ol is oxidised to form 2.9g of compound Q. Calculate the percentage yield of Q."

I should really know this but my head has gone completely blank. I'm aware of the basics of calculating percentage yield but I just hit a wall with this question. Any help appreciated!
Thinking_Aloud
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by .Trooper.)
"8.2g of propan-2-ol is oxidised to form 2.9g of compound Q. Calculate the percentage yield of Q."

I should really know this but my head has gone completely blank. I'm aware of the basics of calculating percentage yield but I just hit a wall with this question. Any help appreciated!
The percentage yield equals the amount of product created over the amount of product that was wanted, all of it multiplied by 100.
You would therefore divide 2.9 by 8.2.
You would then multiply by 100 to gain a percentage.
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As worded question has no solution. You can't calculate percentage yield not knowing the theoretical yield, and this is neither given, nor possible to calculate without knowing what Q is.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Borek)
As worded question has no solution. You can't calculate percentage yield not knowing the theoretical yield, and this is neither given, nor possible to calculate without knowing what Q is.
You are told that the secondary alcohol is oxidised... the product is a ketone, i.e. propanone
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good point. Sigh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.51%
No one else does (81)
31.52%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.89%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (87)
33.85%
We don't use a video platform (4)
1.56%
I don't have a camera (6)
2.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed