The Student Room Group

How protozoa are acellular?

I read that protozoa are unicellular and acellular. But unicellular mean they've one cell to perform all the life activities and then acellular mean without cell. so I'm confused what does that mean?and about reproduction in protozoa, it is said that though they prefer asexual reproduction but if sexual reproduction don't occur for a long time, the specie weakens. so my question is, say the specie has already strong genes important for the survival and it is transferred from generation to generation without variation, then why sexual reproduction is required?and please let's discuss protozoans characteristics. mostly a thread just get one reply but I want a little discussion for the sake of learning and revision.thanks.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Slearner
I read that protozoa are unicellular and acellular. But unicellular mean they've one cell to perform all the life activities and then acellular mean without cell. so I'm confused what does that mean?and about reproduction in protozoa, it is said that though they prefer asexual reproduction but if sexual reproduction don't occur for a long time, the specie weakens. so my question is, say the specie has already strong genes important for the survival and it is transferred from generation to generation without variation, then why sexual reproduction is required?and please let's discuss protozoans characteristics. mostly a thread just get one reply but I want a little discussion for the sake of learning and revision.thanks.

You're using acellular out of context, it can also mean unicellular in terms of single celled organisms, which in this case is protozoa.

In terms of sexual reproduction, it is important in nearly every species, not just protozoa. You can't really define whether a species has 'strong' genes or not. Some genes may be more favourable under certain conditions, say stress related genes to counteract pathogen infection. Not all protozoa may have this gene, but has recently emerged due to a mutation in a current protozoan lineage. This organism carrying the pathogen-resistant gene will survive in the presence of the pathogen, whereas other strains of protozoa will not. Sexual reproduction ensures that this gene containing pathogen resistance can be passed on to it's offspring, creating more pathogen resistant strains.

This isn't just the sake for pathogen resistance. Pathogenic bacteria can mutate to give rise to antibiotic resistant strains. Plants may have to adapt to a change in weather/climate, so the plants which mutate to become more resistant to severe climate will have better survival prospects. Genetic diversity is good to overcome various threats and natural disasters.

Quick Reply

Latest