The Student Room Group

What if the uni released me into clearing becos of miscommunication

I asked the uni is it still possible for me to released into clearing, how long would it take and what are the implications. And then the uni emailed me and say it "will release me today". I thought the uni was merely answering my query because I was really making one, and not asking to be released. But then half a day later i saw myself in clearing in ucas.

Now the uni is saying that they did wat i asked for.

If this can be considered a miscommunication, can I make the uni reverse the situation in any way?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaffee
I asked the uni is it still possible for me to released into clearing, how long would it take and what are the implications. And then the uni emailed me and say it "will release me today". I thought the uni was merely answering my query because I was really making one, and not asking to be released. But then half a day later i saw myself in clearing in ucas.

Now the uni is saying that they did wat i asked for.

If this can be considered a miscommunication, can I make the uni reverse the situation in any way?

How did you ask the uni? If by phone, unfortunately you have no real proof.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
How did you ask the uni? If by phone, unfortunately you have no real proof.

Its by email. And its quite obvious i was merely asking because i asked what are the implications. One would expect a logical reply to state how long, no implications, and then ask me for my confirmation.

So are you saying with this email as proof i can do something abt it? Please advise me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaffee
Its by email. And its quite obvious i was merely asking because i ask what are the implications. One would expect a logical reply to state how long, no implications, and then ask me for my confirmation.

So are you saying with this email as proof i can do something abt it? Please advise me.

It certainly acts as evidence in your favour, yes. Have you told the university you didn't ask to be released? Ring UCAS too, and explain the situation, highlighting that you never at any point asked to be released.
Reply 4
Unis are very busy, so no, you can't expect a long reply. They also expect you to do some research and know what you're actually asking. TSR is full of people saying getting released takes too long already, so it would just inconvenience applicants and unis more if they had to jump through hoops like you're suggesting.

Instead of trying to blame the uni, grow up and take some responsibility for your actions. Learn from this, and realise that in future you should research things before doing, rather than afterwards. It might also help to take some additional English lessons, as if your email was written like your TSR posts it would be easy for the uni to get confused - this might actually be a good thing for you, because you could struggle to write uni standard essays.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
It certainly acts as evidence in your favour, yes. Have you told the university you didn't ask to be released? Ring UCAS too, and explain the situation, highlighting that you never at any point asked to be released.

Thank you for your answers so far. So do you mean UCAS will speak to the uni and force them to reverse their action or, UCAS can automatically tinker with my account and reinstate the offer? Have you heard of cases alike mine before?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaffee
Thank you for your answers so far. So do you mean UCAS will speak to the uni and force them to reverse their action or, UCAS can automatically tinker with my account and reinstate the offer? Have you heard of cases alike mine before?

It's highly unlikely UCAS will force the university to do anything; your best shot is explaining the situation to the university yourself. To your second question, no. I've never heard of anything like this before.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Unis are very busy, so no, you can't expect a long reply. They also expect you to do some research and know what you're actually asking. TSR is full of people saying getting released takes too long already, so it would just inconvenience applicants and unis more if they had to jump through hoops like you're suggesting.

Instead of trying to blame the uni, grow up and take some responsibility for your actions. Learn from this, and realise that in future you should research things before doing, rather than afterwards. It might also help to take some additional English lessons, as if your email was written like your TSR posts it would be easy for the uni to get confused - this might actually be a good thing for you, because you could struggle to write uni standard essays.

Whats wrong with my english? Is it mandatory to adhere to oscorla conventions on a forum? Punctuations? Even when Im typing on an iphone? Ppl have greater problems. So I really don't need anything from a grammar nazi today. Ok? Its children like you who make life unbearable in uni and society and everyone try all their best in the choices they make solely to avoid sitting in the same class with you! My advice to you is you have aspergers and you have to see a shrink for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by kaffee
Whats wrong with my english? Is it mandatory to adhere to oscorla conventions on a forum? Punctuations? Ppl have greater problems. So I really don't need anything from a grammar nazi today. Ok?

"Ppl" might have greater problems, but when you're complaining about a miscommunication, your posts make it obvious where it came from. That, and the fact that you did the uni equivalent of going to Tesco and expecting the till staff to tell you how to cook a chicken.
When did this happen? TBH, this can only be dealt with by a real human being at the end of the phone at the university. Ucas are only the postmen, so whatever happened was done on the instructions of the university and only they can undo it. Phone them first thing in the morning. If it's only just happened, they might be able/willing to undo the damage. If it was some while ago, they may have filled your place and the best you could probably negotiate is a deferred place for next year.

I feel I have to ask why you asked them this in the first place. I assume to be asking that at all, you must have been considering not going, and therefore if you have lost the place, it won't be a total tragedy
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
"Ppl" might have greater problems, but when you're complaining about a miscommunication, your posts make it obvious where it came from. That, and the fact that you did the uni equivalent of going to Tesco and expecting the till staff to tell you how to cook a chicken.

How do you know what did i write exactly to the uni?? You ought to drop those preston grammar books and take some thinking and reasoning classes. Your language isnt that flawless either. I can easily spot some rather awkward expressions there. Instead of "as if" use "since if"! And put a comma inbetween if you worry about grammar so much! It would be a tremendous accomplishment for you since you know nothing other than english and only english. And how is asking the uni how long it takes to be released the same thing as asking tesco how to cook a chicken? Is tesco gonna buy my chicken? Am I applying to tesco cooking school? I have a feeling im talking to a form five student here. I have no intention of wasting my time on you. But I think I have made my point perfectly clear. You want to practise your argumentation skills go argue to a tree.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending