Therambo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm applying for architecture in 2015 however my A Level results werent really that great.
I got an E in Biology a E in Maths a D in Psychology and a C in Philosophy.
I've dropped Biology and I'm retaking a unit in psychology and one unit of maths again. In Maths i got two CC's and a really low U so my overall grade dropped to an E. Therefore if i retake Stats, it will increase my grade drastically. I'm hoping to finish with a BBB and have applied to uni's that give BBB as their entry requirement however I'm scared my teachers will give me low predicted grades which will therefore leave me facing rejection from my chosen uni's. I have no clue what to do or how to persuade my maths teacher at least, that I can get a B overall. I have a feeling i will end up going through clearing. Help me pleaseee
SMH95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Therambo)
I'm applying for architecture in 2015 however my A Level results werent really that great.
I got an E in Biology a E in Maths a D in Psychology and a C in Philosophy.
I've dropped Biology and I'm retaking a unit in psychology and one unit of maths again. In Maths i got two CC's and a really low U so my overall grade dropped to an E. Therefore if i retake Stats, it will increase my grade drastically. I'm hoping to finish with a BBB and have applied to uni's that give BBB as their entry requirement however I'm scared my teachers will give me low predicted grades which will therefore leave me facing rejection from my chosen uni's. I have no clue what to do or how to persuade my maths teacher at least, that I can get a B overall. I have a feeling i will end up going through clearing. Help me pleaseee
Hi, I applied for architecture last year and got into Edinburgh.
My AS results weren't ideal for the entry requirements of the unis I applied to, so I asked for my predicted grades to be lifted. As my tutors knew I was capable of more they granted this request, so I'm sure if you ask they will lift them for you too. After all it's there job to get you into the best uni they can.
Despite this I was told that if the predicted A2 grades that they send off are more than 2 grades above the result you achieved at AS unis tend to get suspicious and generally disregard this claim, so it is unlikely your tutors will send off predicted over BBC.
That said, I achieved AAB when my offer requested AAA, so unis are flexible for 1 grade at least... and I received their offer very late, so I'm guessing they didn't desperately want me... but I still got in.
As far as your maths tutor goes... get your homework in on time (or early), ask for extra homework or question booklets, be interactive in class to show you're interested in improving, and just go up to them and tell them that you want and need a B and how you're going to achieve it... I had to do this as they didn't think I took the subject seriously after seeing my Maths AS result.
Good luck!!! Hope that helped
Therambo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by SMH95)
Hi, I applied for architecture last year and got into Edinburgh.
My AS results weren't ideal for the entry requirements of the unis I applied to, so I asked for my predicted grades to be lifted. As my tutors knew I was capable of more they granted this request, so I'm sure if you ask they will lift them for you too. After all it's there job to get you into the best uni they can.
Despite this I was told that if the predicted A2 grades that they send off are more than 2 grades above the result you achieved at AS unis tend to get suspicious and generally disregard this claim, so it is unlikely your tutors will send off predicted over BBC.
That said, I achieved AAB when my offer requested AAA, so unis are flexible for 1 grade at least... and I received their offer very late, so I'm guessing they didn't desperately want me... but I still got in.
As far as your maths tutor goes... get your homework in on time (or early), ask for extra homework or question booklets, be interactive in class to show you're interested in improving, and just go up to them and tell them that you want and need a B and how you're going to achieve it... I had to do this as they didn't think I took the subject seriously after seeing my Maths AS result.
Good luck!!! Hope that helped

thanks for your advice!! it helped alot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.33%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.1%
Financial worries (62)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.22%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.21%

Watched Threads