The Student Room Group

Really bad UKCAT score, where should I go from here? Medicine 2015 Application

The day I took the UKCAT I was very ill and ended up with a very low score of 580 avg :frown:. I'm not sure what universities to apply to for medicine (I don't care where I go as long as it's medicine). My GCSE grades are 5A*'s 5A's and my AS Grades are AAAB (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem Respectfully) and My predicted grades are A*AAA With The A* in Biology. I would really appreciate any advice or help. Thank you :smile:
Take the BMAT and apply to those unis which require that instead? Unis also have preferences on how highly they regard the UKCAT in comparison to A-levels, so find a uni which holds more weight with your grades and doesn't care as much about UKCAT
Reply 2
Deffinitely take the BMAT and apply to 2/3 BMAT unis! For the others look at St George's UEA Bristol
Original post by MedicineHelpPls
The day I took the UKCAT I was very ill and ended up with a very low score of 580 avg :frown:. I'm not sure what universities to apply to for medicine (I don't care where I go as long as it's medicine). My GCSE grades are 5A*'s 5A's and my AS Grades are AAAB (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem Respectfully) and My predicted grades are A*AAA With The A* in Biology. I would really appreciate any advice or help. Thank you :smile:

Take the BMAT - BSMS and Leeds have just started using it so they're possibilities. Also try Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster.
Original post by Jimbob995
Take the BMAT - BSMS and Leeds have just started using it so they're possibilities. Also try Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster.

Thank you so much!! So there's still hope?

Which one of those do you think would be the easiest to get into? I know no Medical school is easy to get into, but do you know any statistics regarding applicants per place? But thanks again!
Reply 5
Go to church my friend, Jesus will guide you.
Reply 6
That's exactly what I got and you don't see me worrying :smile:

Some uni's base their 'cut off score' on everyone that applied that years average ukcat score.

So all we can do is hope for the best!
I would recommend taking the BMAT and applying to 1 or 2 BMAT unis. Then consider Bristol, Liverpool and Lancaster, as someone already said. They are all very competitive due to the fact they don't use the UKCAT, but it's worth a try, right?? Worst case scenario you can reapply next year if you get your grades :smile:
Original post by MedicineHelpPls
Thank you so much!! So there's still hope?

Which one of those do you think would be the easiest to get into? I know no Medical school is easy to get into, but do you know any statistics regarding applicants per place? But thanks again!

I think BSMS will not have many applicants this year because of the switch to BMAT (all though this is me speculating). Liverpool and Lancaster are competitive but a great PS will definitely help. There's still hope! If you got a good BMAT score + PS you'd be in a good position. Ask your school about the BMAT as the prices go up after October :smile:

Type in 'medicine competition ratios' in google for more information - it's really useful
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for all your help I appreciate every bit of it!

So far here are my choices, please tell me what you think:

Imperial A100 App/Place Ratio: 8.1
UCL A100 App/Place Ratio : 7.5
Lancaster A100 App/Place Ratio : 10.2
Liverpool A100 App/Place Ratio : 11.6
Kings BC99 (My BioMed Choice)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending