Help with first History Essay? AS Level? Watch

Abdo332
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys! I'm self-studying History A Level using the CIE Exam Board and have just taken my first attempt at writing an essay. (so don't laugh)
Honestly, I have no clue how exactly to approach the question and what exactly it is that I have to write The question is relatively straight forward but I have no clue as to what I should include,how many words, how to start it off, how to close it, whether it's a knowledge and understanding question or a rather argumentative one where I judge and argue..etc.

Anywhoo, it's about The French Revolution and this is what I have down so far, it's only 300 words and I know it's not essay format..etc but any help I can have would be highly appreciated...

What do you think was the most significant reason for the outbreak of the French Revolution in 1789?

There are many reasons for the outbreak of the French Revolution, however the most significant of these and one which had substantial effect was undoubtedly the refusal of the nobility to accept reforms that would interfere with their traditional privileges. Numerous tax exemptions all fell in favour for the nobles, imposing the heavy burden of taxes on the working class. These exemptions, most notably the tax laws, only added to the already present hostility between the social classes. Interference in continuous wars had took their toll and the country was in the midst of a financial crisis. Ministers Viscount Calonne and Jacques Necker had tried to raise money for the monarchy by imposing higher taxes on the wealthy however both acts of social justice were both defeated. Unable to tax the nobility out of tradition, King Louis called a meeting of the Estates General upon desperate measure. However, this only fueled the animosity between the middle class and the nobles as all votes in favour of reform were continuously outvoted by the nobility and the church in arbitrary collective voting. In addition, King Louis XVI had proven his lack of leadership qualities, offering weak support to the first and second estate but failing to force his own will or make firm decisions regarding the matter of reforms. After failing to address their demands, the Third Estate broke away from the Estates General in order to form an independent assembly that more fairly reflected the demands of the lower classes. The creation of the National Assembly after failing to address the majority’s demands regarding taxing the nobles upon other things was the major source that sparked the revolution in 1789.
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
j1997
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, although I did Tsarist Russia and Mussolinis Italy, so modern history , if you're doing a 12 marker you generally want:

Intro

2 paras for you argument, 1 counter

Conclusion

24 markers:

Intro

3 paras of your argument, 2 counter

Conclusion

Make sure to link to the question at both the start and the end of your paragraphs!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads