The Student Room Group

Moving out of quantity surveying

I've been working as a trainee quantity surveyor for the past 3 months and it's not for me. I took it as it was good money and I was struggling to find work at the time.

I'm degree qualified with a degree in Statistics. What are the exit options like? Does anyone leave quantity surveying and are the skills and experience transferable or will i find myself back at the bottom of the entry level graduate chain again if I move away from it?

I wanted to use my stats degree to work in analytics but not sure how they'd view me coming from a quantity surveying job.
Reply 1
I am thinking about moving into QS for the reason that it pays well. Could you elaborate on why it was not for you and wouldn't recommend it?
Reply 2
Original post by SundayFunday
I've been working as a trainee quantity surveyor for the past 3 months and it's not for me. I took it as it was good money and I was struggling to find work at the time.

I'm degree qualified with a degree in Statistics. What are the exit options like? Does anyone leave quantity surveying and are the skills and experience transferable or will i find myself back at the bottom of the entry level graduate chain again if I move away from it?

I wanted to use my stats degree to work in analytics but not sure how they'd view me coming from a quantity surveying job.

I knew a guy a few years back with a Stats degree who left his job in a Countryside service to go into bioinformatics. He said there was a big shortage in this growing area. I don't think he had any advanced science qualification but he did have relevant work experience.

I don't think coming from QS would count against you because at least it shows that you're employable. There must be a shortage of stats people so even if you start low you should be able to progress quickly.
Reply 3
No disrespect but you can't have a lot of skills and experience to transfer after just three months. Maybe you should give it a little longer before you throw the towel in. Being a trainee QS isn't much fun but it'll get better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending