Russian history: Why did Serfdom prevent modenisation of Russia in the 19th centuary?

Watch
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
??? tanx people
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I studied this last year for my AS History [EDEXCEL]

From what I recall, Serfdom is what prevented Russian society by modernising into an industrial society known later as by 'Witte Great spurt' from 1905+; However Serfdom prevented Russian society from modernising as because 80-90% of the population of Russian society consisted of peasants who lived in agriculture land thus keeping Russia in a backwards society compared to the other great western powers.

Rep my answer please, took time writing a response.
Tj789
Rep:
?
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
I studied this last year for my AS History [EDEXCEL]

From what I recall, Serfdom is what prevented Russian society by modernising into an industrial society known later as by 'Witte Great spurt' from 1905+; However Serfdom prevented Russian society from modernising as because 80-90% of the population of Russian society consisted of peasants who lived in agriculture land thus keeping Russia in a backwards society compared to the other great western powers.

Rep my answer please, took time writing a response.
Im taking the same course. Are you saying serfdom stopped Russia modernising into an industry because those serfs could only be involved in agriculture and if thats the case how can industry prosper?

What did you get for AS history? Oh and what did you studying for the British bit? Tanx
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Im taking the same course. Are you saying serfdom stopped Russia modernising into an industry because those serfs could only be involved in agriculture and if thats the case how can industry prosper?

What did you get for AS history? Oh and what did you studying for the British bit? Tanx
I got an 'B' overall for my AS History.
Unit 1: 54/100 -> D on unit 1 = America & Russia - ESSAY
Unit 2: 98/100 -> A on unit 2 = Britain & India source paper - SOURCE

---> 152/200 = 76% B average.
I was averaging "b's" on unit 1 mocks consistently.

I could have got an A overall but I recall my mind went blank for 10 whole minutes into unit 1 exam however I performed beyond my capabilities in unit 2.

BACK TO QUESTION: I was saying Serfdom prevented Russian Society from modernising as serfs couldn't travel from one region of land to another without the permission of Landowners who could reject/grant their wish. The emancipation of Serfs in 1861 was a great success towards modernisation as serfs could travel where ever they wished however this was undermined by the following Tsar Alexander the 3rd through the scheme of 'Repression'.

Hope you understand?
Tj789
Rep:
?
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
I got an 'B' overall for my AS History.
Unit 1: 54/100 -> D on unit 1 = America & Russia - ESSAY
Unit 2: 98/100 -> A on unit 2 = Britain & India source paper - SOURCE

---> 152/200 = 76% B average.
I was averaging "b's" on unit 1 mocks consistently.

I could have got an A overall but I recall my mind went blank for 10 whole minutes into unit 1 exam however I performed beyond my capabilities in unit 2.

BACK TO QUESTION: I was saying Serfdom prevented Russian Society from modernising as serfs couldn't travel from one region of land to another without the permission of Landowners who could reject/grant their wish. The emancipation of Serfs in 1861 was a great success towards modernisation as serfs could travel where ever they wished however this was undermined by the following Tsar Alexander the 3rd through the scheme of 'Repression'.

Hope you understand?
Tanx very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (8)
14.04%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (13)
22.81%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
7.02%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
14.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
7.02%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
31.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.51%

Watched Threads