Just wondering. Discuss.
    Which Islamic values?

ReputationRep:
    hell no

ReputationRep:
    Yes who doesn't love

*Oppression of women
    *Animals brutally slaughtered in a bizarre ritual
    *Seperate Shariah courts that protect criminals from the real law, and hand out harsh physical punishments for things like not covering up.
    *People being taught to hate homosexuals/jews/christians/atheists.

And let's not forget companies that no longer serve bacon/pork/ham so as not to offend.

ReputationRep:
    No if anything its holding society back. It's held the middle east back for centuries and they've been sitting on the most valuable resource in the world.

ReputationRep:
    What are these mysterious Islamic Values?

I haven't seen anything change as far as values are concerned in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    There are no Islamic values in Britain. Alcohol is being consumed everywhere, there is a betting shop on every corner, Nightclubs and Stripclubs are common, prostitution is normal etc.

ReputationRep:
    None that I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo-neon)
    Yes who doesn't love

*Oppression of women
    *Seperate Shariah courts that protect criminals from the real law, and hand out harsh physical punishments for things like not covering up.

And let's not forget companies that no longer serve bacon/pork/ham so as not to offend.
    I mean, the rest of us brutally slaughter animals without a bizarre ritual. There isn't that much of a difference, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I mean, the rest of us brutally slaughter animals without a bizarre ritual. There isn't that much of a difference, really.
    That's not true at all, under UK law, the animal is first stunned and then instantly killed with a bolt to the head, so it feels no pain whatsoever.

However, an exception is given for religious practises, in order to make food halal, the animals throat is slit and the animal is left to bleed to death in agony while an imam chants prayers over it while dying in pain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say atheistic values and religious people becoming more moderate has made the UK a better place. No longer do we discriminate against gay people because of religion. Atheism is a mainstream position in the UK, while in the USA they are one of the least trusted minorities. No longer do we believe creationism when all evidence points to evolution. No longer does religion inhibit scienctific advances as it historically did. No longer does religion foster intolerance as it did in the past.

An increase in atheism and the people who remain religious being much more moderate in their religious views are the main reason for this. If this hadn't happened, we'd still be taking biblical arguments seriously when talking about things like gay marriage, and we'd probably have some form of creationist lobby here in the UK (thankfully, this is pretty much non existent in the UK today).

ReputationRep:
    nope

but no religion has really.

ReputationRep:
    Yes who doesn't love

*Oppression of women

*Oppression of women

We've barely stopped doing that ourselves, they'll catch up.

The only difference is the ritual.

*Sharia courts

Not sure on that one, information seems a bit limited

All we have to do is change that to:

*People being taught to hate homosexuals/jews/muslims/atheists.

And we get what christians in this country have been doing for centuries and in some cases still do, do, you could probably switch out any religion in there and get the same result.

So no I don't think they have made the UK a better place, I don't think they have actually made it any worse either, there are some cultural problems but we are hardly perfect as a nation ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DasSnipez)
    *Oppression of women

We've barely stopped doing that ourselves, they'll catch up.

The only difference is the ritual.

*Sharia courts

Not sure on that one, information seems a bit limited

All we have to do is change that to:

*People being taught to hate homosexuals/jews/muslims/atheists.

And we get what christians in this country have been doing for centuries and in some cases still do, do, you could probably switch out any religion in there and get the same result.

So no I don't think they have made the UK a better place, I don't think they have actually made it any worse either, there are some cultural problems but we are hardly perfect as a nation ourselves.
    When was the last time native British women had to be completely covered from head to toe with only a little slit for the eyes, even in prudish victorian times they weren't as covered up.

And no, to make food halal, the animals throat is slit and its left to bleed to death in pain, while prayers are said over it, for the rest of UK law, the animal is first stunned then a bolt through its head so no pain?

Shariah courts are openly acting in parts of B'ham, London, Luton, Bradford, where the community protects criminals from police, but a woman who wants to leave her husband is punished.

And no, as far as I'm aware there have been 0 cases of Christian schools and Christian being found to be teaching to kill others.

I'm not Christian, and I agree it holds us back, but you can't really compare the 2, you don't have christian extremists blowing up buildings and killing people, you don't have christian extremists attacking people in the streets.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true at all, under UK law, the animal is first stunned and then instantly killed with a bolt to the head, so it feels no pain whatsoever.

However, an exception is given for religious practises, in order to make food halal, the animals throat is slit and the animal is left to bleed to death in agony while an imam chants prayers over it while dying in pain.
    The stunning procedure involves whacking it over the head. That's got to be pretty painful.

ReputationRep:
    The stunning procedure involves whacking it over the head. That's got to be pretty painful.
    No it doesn't at all, that's utter BS, a stun gun is used, to instantly stun, then the bolt in the head instantly kills, so the animal feels no pain.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trolling? A stun gun is used, the animal isn't walloped over the head....:curious:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.