The Student Room Group

Not really having a great social life so far at uni...

I came here on Monday to my halls. I think I've bumped into most of my flat mates, there's 7 in total. I only just made a plan with one of them because we eat breakfast together.

And... I hear two of them come in around 10 everynight. Just felt a bit sad that they made plans with other but not the rest of us. It's all male my one. I thought we could arrange nights out, I was so prepared for getting social with my flatmates. I think everyone needs to be on the same page for that though, most of the guys in my flat are a bit too nerdy/keep to themselves even in the kitchen they don't like to discuss much or talk much, they're mainly on their phones. And that's fine if that was how they envisaged it.

And I hear parties evey night. And I really wanna go but I just know the guys I'm staying with aren't the type to go partying. I knew some people in my college who openly spoke about how they hate parties and nightlife etc so I'm vary.

And I see like a group of 3/4/5 people often wandering around campus and I just know they are flat mates who make plans and stick together. Although I do of course see people on their own. Not that I mind being on my own at all, I just mean I wished I had flat mates who were pro active and made plans to do stuff.

I just hope and somehow know that I'll make friends through my course, especially since we'll have break and lunch time during the same times.

Is this normal in halls? That some people just don't make plans with their flat mates?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hitashami
I came here on Monday to my halls. I think I've bumped into most of my flat mates, there's 7 in total. I only just made a plan with one of them because we eat breakfast together.

And... I hear two of them come in around 10 everynight. Just felt a bit sad that they made plans with other but not the rest of us. It's all male my one. I thought we could arrange nights out, I was so prepared for getting social with my flatmates. I think everyone needs to be on the same page for that though, most of the guys in my flat are a bit too nerdy/keep to themselves even in the kitchen they don't like to discuss much or talk much, they're mainly on their phones. And that's fine if that was how they envisaged it.

And I hear parties evey night. And I really wanna go but I just know the guys I'm staying with aren't the type to go partying. I knew some people in my college who openly spoke about how they hate parties and nightlife etc so I'm vary.

And I see like a group of 3/4/5 people often wandering around campus and I just know they are flat mates who make plans and stick together. Although I do of course see people on their own. Not that I mind being on my own at all, I just mean I wished I had flat mates who were pro active and made plans to do stuff.

I just hope and somehow know that I'll make friends through my course, especially since we'll have break and lunch time during the same times.

Is this normal in halls? That some people just don't make plans with their flat mates?

In a similar position. I really want to go partying but can only seem to make friends with the people who don't really enjoy it? The people who do enjoy going to clubs etc don't seem to really want to talk to me/ know me.
The most important thing about uni is your course. The second most important thing is making friends- you have 3 years to do that. I keep in touch with like 3 people since graduating. You have 3 years so plenty of time.
Reply 3
Original post by Hitashami
x

I was in a similar situation when I first started. My flatmates would just end up doing their own stuff or go with other people they met. I met a lot of friends from societies since we have things in common. I'd advise you to join societies then and meet people Hope it all goes well with you!!
Try & join some societies & make friends there. :smile: If you get on with your housemates it's great but that isn't the only way to have a social life at uni. It might be daunting but you might as well give it a try. :smile:
Original post by sunnydespair
The most important thing about uni is your course. The second most important thing is making friends- you have 3 years to do that. I keep in touch with like 3 people since graduating. You have 3 years so plenty of time.

Thanks. This does mean a lot to me. And yeah I did remind myself every now and then that I'm here to study my course and sure to make friends. Just tonight I was getting a bit down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLK
I was in a similar situation when I first started. My flatmates would just end up doing their own stuff or go with other people they met. I met a lot of friends from societies since we have things in common. I'd advise you to join societies then and meet people Hope it all goes well with you!!

Yeah I will go to see societies available. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Try & join some societies & make friends there. :smile: If you get on with your housemates it's great but that isn't the only way to have a social life at uni. It might be daunting but you might as well give it a try. :smile:

Yup, will look at societies at my uni in a couple of days when they have stalls set up at a get together. Hope my social life gets better from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year when my cousin started her first year at uni her social life wasn't that good and she was disappointed because she went from having an amazing social life during her GCSEs and A levels to having a crap social life at the start of uni. When she started her course though she made friends that wanted to do the same things as her and had an amazing social life. She didn't actually want to leave at the end of the first year to come back home because she was enjoying herself so much.
I'm studying a masters course at the moment. I don't really have any friends in the uni at the moment. I might have one friend, I'm not sure if I can call it a friendship or acquaintance. Hopefully I will make some friends this year ! I live in hope :smile:. Going to join a few sports societies, and some intellectual and social stuff too, maybe some creative ones
Original post by xxxSophiexxx
Last year when my cousin started her first year at uni her social life wasn't that good and she was disappointed because she went from having an amazing social life during her GCSEs and A levels to having a crap social life at the start of uni. When she started her course though she made friends that wanted to do the same things as her and had an amazing social life. She didn't actually want to leave at the end of the first year to come back home because she was enjoying herself so much.

That's how I was thinking I would meet my new friends: through the course. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunnydespair
I'm studying a masters course at the moment. I don't really have any friends in the uni at the moment. I might have one friend, I'm not sure if I can call it a friendship or acquaintance. Hopefully I will make some friends this year ! I live in hope :smile:. Going to join a few sports societies, and some intellectual and social stuff too, maybe some creative ones

Which year are you in? And good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about trying to 'break the ice' with your flatmates a little? maybe get to know them more?

You don't even have to go out, you could play some drinking games or something. Try to bond with them a little.
I've come back to uni to do my Masters. I live in postgrad halls so it is marginally quiet, and at least 3 out of my 4 housemates rarely go out partying. I'm an extremely shy person, but I plucked up the courage to go to some social events on my own, I managed to make friends! I do generally believe that it's hard to find housemates which are a lot like you, as it varies, be it their age or course. However, you have something in common with those on your course (be it your interests), and whatever societies you choose to join. I really wouldn't worry about not 'clicking' with your housemates, I certainly haven't (and it doesn't bother me), I just remain on a acquaintance level with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about the "I brought beer" technique.

You just turn up at a randomers party with a crate of beer and announce to the assumed host "I brought beer". It has never failed me.
Hey I moved in the other day and had the same feelings so don't worry. Be yourself and say hi to your flatmates every time u see them, even if they don't, I live with 5 other girls. It was really uncomfortable for me at first but give it a couple of weeks and it will be a lot easier for you as u will get into a routine and the others will be settled in too. You have all year to go out all together so don't worry about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reeeeyah
What about trying to 'break the ice' with your flatmates a little? maybe get to know them more?

You don't even have to go out, you could play some drinking games or something. Try to bond with them a little.

I do get to know them a bit of course. Like ask what course they're doing, where they're from etc. Hope we get closer over time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charmander12
I've come back to uni to do my Masters. I live in postgrad halls so it is marginally quiet, and at least 3 out of my 4 housemates rarely go out partying. I'm an extremely shy person, but I plucked up the courage to go to some social events on my own, I managed to make friends! I do generally believe that it's hard to find housemates which are a lot like you, as it varies, be it their age or course. However, you have something in common with those on your course (be it your interests), and whatever societies you choose to join. I really wouldn't worry about not 'clicking' with your housemates, I certainly haven't (and it doesn't bother me), I just remain on a acquaintance level with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good. I feel a better knowing not everyone clicks with their flat mates, takes away some pressure as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
What about the "I brought beer" technique.

You just turn up at a randomers party with a crate of beer and announce to the assumed host "I brought beer". It has never failed me.

Hmm, I'll certainly think about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katenworb
Hey I moved in the other day and had the same feelings so don't worry. Be yourself and say hi to your flatmates every time u see them, even if they don't, I live with 5 other girls. It was really uncomfortable for me at first but give it a couple of weeks and it will be a lot easier for you as u will get into a routine and the others will be settled in too. You have all year to go out all together so don't worry about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I hope we become closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending