Chemistry titration question!

Watch this thread
jbird2704
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In an experiment to find the concentration of some dilute sulphuric acid, a student diluted it exactly 10 times to give a concentration suitable for titration. He made up some standard sodium hydroxide solution by dissolving 1.00g of it in 250cm3 of solution. He then found that 25.0cm3 of the sodium hydroxide solution required 23.5cm3 of the diluted sulphuric acid for neutralisation. Calculate the concentration of the original dilute sulphuric acid in mol dm-3
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jbird2704)
In an experiment to find the concentration of some dilute sulphuric acid, a student diluted it exactly 10 times to give a concentration suitable for titration. He made up some standard sodium hydroxide solution by dissolving 1.00g of it in 250cm3 of solution. He then found that 25.0cm3 of the sodium hydroxide solution required 23.5cm3 of the diluted sulphuric acid for neutralisation. Calculate the concentration of the original dilute sulphuric acid in mol dm-3
Can you give your working so far? We can't do your homework for you. A good starting point would be working out the number of moles of NaOH in the 25ccm.
jbird2704
Rep:
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Can you give your working so far? We can't do your homework for you. A good starting point would be working out the number of moles of NaOH in the 25ccm.
i am not sure how to tackle this question at all sorry, i know i have 1.00g and 25.00cm of 2NAOH and 23.5cm3 of h2so4. Not sure where to begin? thanks
Chlorophile
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
i am not sure how to tackle this question at all sorry, i know i have 1.00g and 25.00cm of 2NAOH and 23.5cm3 of h2so4. Not sure where to begin? thanks
I just gave you a starting point. You should be able to work out how many moles of NaOH there are in 1g and therefore how much there is in 25 ccm of the solution.
jbird2704
Rep:
how do you go about doing that? which equation do i use, moles = mass / ar or moles=( m x v ) / 1000.
jbird2704
Rep:
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I just gave you a starting point. You should be able to work out how many moles of NaOH there are in 1g and therefore how much there is in 25 ccm of the solution.

which equation do i use? moles=mass/ar, if so, what about 25cm then?? surely i need to put that somewhere
Chlorophile
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
which equation do i use? moles=mass/ar, if so, what about 25cm then?? surely i need to put that somewhere
Once you work out how many moles there are in 1g of NaOH (and hence 250ccm of solution) you can work out the number of moles in 25ccm of solution by dividing by 10.
Borek
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
See if this introduction to titration doesn't help: http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads