The Student Room Group

Wisdom tooth extraction

I have to have a wisdom tooth from right at the back pulled on Tuesday. I've been told this can be extra painful afterwards. How bad will it be? :afraid:

Of course, I am visiting a proper dentist and not getting a friend to do it or something. :teehee: I am a little nervous though.
Reply 1
I had 2 done on separate occasions, its OK, did not hurt much.
Reply 2
Best not to think about it. :smile:
Reply 3
Take a few painkillers afterwards. There is one called 'Naproxen' (formula name) look for it's trade name. It's quite good for tooth pain.
Original post by miser
Best not to think about it. :smile:

Trying. Really, really trying. :cry2:
Moved to Health

Hope all goes well. Dreading having mine out.
Reply 6
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Trying. Really, really trying. :cry2:

I've never had to have it done so don't pay any mind to me. It really won't be as bad as you'll let yourself imagine it might be though.

Edit: Last year I had a two-hour long operation to remove infection from my gums and perform root canals. People afterwards told me how bad that operation is, and I had two in one sitting! But it didn't deserve its reputation in my opinion. Take it as a test of character to go into it with a strong will, and don't pay any mind to the idea that it is a difficult experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Isn't it supposed to be ache or throbbing afterwards? You'll probably be numb for a while, but I'd think the dentist will tell you a suitable painkiller for when that wears off.
I had all 4 extracted last year. It was painful and I couldn't talk for 2 days as my lips were too big lol
I had to eat lots of soft foods like soup and pudding
I also was lying in bed sleeping a lot because of the medication and I had a really bad headache

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I had all 4 extracted last year. It was painful and I couldn't talk for 2 days as my lips were too big lol
I had to eat lots of soft foods like soup and pudding
I also was lying in bed sleeping a lot because of the medication and I had a really bad headache

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my goodness, what a lot to have to go through. :console: Glad you made it! :smile:
I had all 4 out at once and afterwards it hurt a LOT. Make sure you have soft foods in your house so you can eat without having to go out to buy specific food if you're in pain. The worst thing is dry socket, I got that in two of my teeth holes and omg it hurt, the dentist prescribed me extra strength painkillers but even they hardly touched it. I don't think my situation always happens to people, I've heard of people who got hardly any pain so don't get too scared, just prepare for the worst - you might be in a lot of pain for a few days so don't fill up your calender.
All 4 of mine fit perfectly :colone:
Had 4 pulled out 2 weeks ago to make room for my braces. The actual extraction didn't hurt because some anaesthetic was injected in my gums. But when it wore off it killed like a bitch!! Only for like a day though. It was a lot better after that. Couldnt eat proper food for like a week. Good luck!
Why, compared to extraction of other teeth, does wisdom teeth extraction seem that much worse? Or is it because they're right at the back? I've had 9 teeth out, 5 were local and the rest general and I had very little problems after. Aside from not being to speak properly and dribbling. :redface:
I've had three out (two together, one separately) and I was in so much pain from the teeth themselves that the only sensation when they were taken out was sheer relief. Yes, the aftermath of the extractions hurt a bit - but nowhere nearly as much as those teeth did when they were still anchored in my mouth! I was so happy they were gone. I felt groggy from the medication and didn't feel like eating for a couple of days, but that was about the worst of it.
Original post by OU Student
Why, compared to extraction of other teeth, does wisdom teeth extraction seem that much worse? Or is it because they're right at the back? I've had 9 teeth out, 5 were local and the rest general and I had very little problems after. Aside from not being to speak properly and dribbling. :redface:

I was going on what some people seem to say about them being a horrible experience, plus the dentist was full of warnings about it, but I suppose they just want to cover themselves because people occasionally have problems. I feel a little more confident now after reading some of the replies on here. :smile:
OMG!! Its just painful dental surgery, rather it is quite difficult for surgeons too.

Quick Reply

Latest