Want more information about this university?
ArcticFever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm currently in 11th grade and I'm from the USA. I've always wanted to go to Manchester, and plan on applying in a year or two, but the thing that hinders me the most is the cost. For the course I plan to study, it's £19,000 (~$31,000). For three years, that's £57,000 (~$93,000). I have about $6,000 and have no idea how I'm going to possibly be able to get the $93,000 for tuition, plus travel, accommodation, and food costs. Is Manchester lenient when it comes to international students? Does it do anything for it to be more affordable for international students? Because I know that to get a Tier 4 visa I have to have enough money to get me through tuition and living costs, but that's going to be over $100,000 and there's no way for me to get that kind of money.
newguy101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArcticFever)
So I'm currently in 11th grade and I'm from the USA. I've always wanted to go to Manchester, and plan on applying in a year or two, but the thing that hinders me the most is the cost. For the course I plan to study, it's £19,000 (~$31,000). For three years, that's £57,000 (~$93,000). I have about $6,000 and have no idea how I'm going to possibly be able to get the $93,000 for tuition, plus travel, accommodation, and food costs. Is Manchester lenient when it comes to international students? Does it do anything for it to be more affordable for international students? Because I know that to get a Tier 4 visa I have to have enough money to get me through tuition and living costs, but that's going to be over $100,000 and there's no way for me to get that kind of money.

Maybe I'm being stupid here but could you not get a student loan to cover the full amount? Just throwing it out there, sorry if this is unhelpful. Ask your school for information as they are probably very experienced when it comes to sending students abroad and advising them.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would it be more financially sensible for you to go to university in your own country and participate in the Year Abroad scheme instead?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is no motivation for the university to be lenient towards international students. That is where a significant amount of their funding comes from. Unfortunately if you cannot afford it you will need to consider other options. It's a very popular uni that doesn't have to reduce prices in order to get applicants. Could you consider coming for a postgraduate degree instead?
ArcticFever
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarky)
There is no motivation for the university to be lenient towards international students. That is where a significant amount of their funding comes from. Unfortunately if you cannot afford it you will need to consider other options. It's a very popular uni that doesn't have to reduce prices in order to get applicants. Could you consider coming for a postgraduate degree instead?
I really worded my original post wrong. When I said lenient, I meant in regards to bursaries and other financial support. Does the university allow international students to access these and are they easy to get? Or do international students have to pay the full amount for the course they want to go in to?
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really worded my original post wrong. When I said lenient, I meant in regards to bursaries and other financial support. Does the university allow international students to access these and are they easy to get? Or do international students have to pay the full amount for the course they want to go in to?
Bursaries are generally only available to UK and EU students.

You could look at some of the scholarships but I don't know if there are any available to international students, some of the ones on this page explicitly say only UK and EU students are eligible: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...ecific-awards/
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very unlikely for the same reasons stated above. There may be some scholarships but you'd need to contact them and in all probability they're likely to be sidelined for home students. If you have a significant standout point in your application then that may help but its still worth considering other options.
ArcticFever
Rep:
?
So how do international students afford to go to university overseas? How do they make it possible when the fees are so high and they have to have all of the funds they need before they go and cannot work through uni?
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So how do international students afford to go to university overseas? How do they make it possible when the fees are so high and they have to have all of the funds they need before they go and cannot work through uni?
The fact is, most students go to university in their own country, the majority of people who are international students either have a fairly wealthy family who can afford to pay for them.

The other option would be to go to uni a couple of years later than you'd like to, get a job and save all your money to go towards your tuition and living costs.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do you think? Either they are absolutely exceptional students that the university wants at all costs (very unlikely) or they have very rich parents who pay their costs upfront.

It's a lot cheaper than a UK student going to the US.

Intuitively - why should it be cheap? If you're a US citizen, there's no benefit to the UK in educating you at a discount. You and your family are very unlikely to have contributed via taxation over the years, and there is a good chance that you will leave the country after finishing school.

So you've contributed nothing, will probably contribute nothing in the future and there is no means by which the country can recover a loan from you if you leave.

In short - to give international students loans of funding or discounts would be utter madness.
simon6754
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Student loans available in the U.S. can be used to attend U.K. Universities not just U.S. Universities.
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi. I'm also an American student, though several years older. We are eligible to take out government loans. They will not cover anywhere near the full expense though. The rest would have to come from out of pocket or private loans. You can also work as an international student. Only 20 hours during term though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Uhm.. i seem to notice that your main problem and question is something else than what these answers have stood for. Now, I don't know if it's like this for any country in the world, but you don't need the full amount of money for all of your uni years at once. More exactly, you don't need the full 100.000$ in your account to get a visa. You only need like 2000$ or a bit more, something like that. So I don't see the worry and don't understand these answers., they're not helping you ease out at all. If what I'm saying is wrong, please correct me, because I'm basing my application on my words as well. I'm also an international student and have looked on the uk visa website and I've also received some persoanl advice from advised people. Tell me if there's anything else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed