Can a PS helper still look at my statement?

Watch
Inglisred
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I've finished my PS but I was wondering if the PS helpers are still active?
Hannahmay01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Inglisred)
Hi,

I've finished my PS but I was wondering if the PS helpers are still active?
To be honest I wouldn't bother, I sent in my ps last year and the person said it was rubbish, however my form tutor said it was great and I got five interviews and five offers
Inglisred
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hannahmay01)
To be honest I wouldn't bother, I sent in my ps last year and the person said it was rubbish, however my form tutor said it was great and I got five interviews and five offers
Hmm... Interesting. The thing is with me though is that I don't have many people to show other than my family since I'm applying during my gap year. What course did you apply for?
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol you should name and shame
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

The format of PS Help on TSR has changed now. A new PS builder tool has been developed which will help you to make a start and write your statement. There is a review service as well but the reviews are now done by teachers and it it is a paid service.
k9markiii
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can often get to the interview stage despite rather than because of your personal statement. If you had predicted results close to what they require you are likely to get an interview if they are a uni that interviews. You will have done well in interview, which is more important than the PS. Essentially the statement isn't your whole application. I don't know what you applied for but it varies from subject to subject how much emphasis they put on it. For the sciences they don't care quite as much about it as if you were studying English or history for example.

Having said that it's always good to seek advice from a range of people and o follow your own instincts as it is your personal statement and not anybody else's.
Hannahmay01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm... Interesting. The thing is with me though is that I don't have many people to show other than my family since I'm applying during my gap year. What course did you apply for?
I applied for Primary Education, a course in which personal statements are very important.
Hannahmay01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ByronicHero)
Because of course you cannot achieve such a feat despite the quality of your personal statement....

Anyway, I just took a quick look at the statement you submitted last year. You received an excellent review which, alongside providing guidance regarding what your statement should focus on, fixed your grammar and punctuation.

Beyond this, you were not told that your statement was rubbish. You asked if your statement was "useless" and consequently you received a constructive reply.

Now that the service no longer exists, I accept that this is a moot point. However, I felt your misrepresentation of the truth needed to be addressed.

Congratulations on your offers and best of luck with your course
I know it was a great service I was just so nervous I think it just made me more stressed though. I'm really thankful for the advice for the punctuation errors! I think that if you think its ok really then you just need to go for it
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know it was a great service I was just so nervous I think it just made me more stressed though. I'm really thankful for the advice for the punctuation errors! I think that if you think its ok really then you just need to go for it
Well, people are free to disregard the advice they receive if they like. The truth is that so many PSs are horribly written, contain little or no academic substance and are replete with errors. Add to this the fact that advice from schools is often lazy at best and harmful at worst and I'm sure you can understand that having the free review service on here was incredibly useful to thousands of applicants. I personally didn't use the service when writing my PS so I understand having confidence in your own abilities but I think extending your confidence to to other people could persuade them not to heed good advice - advice they may want or need more than you do.

As you say - things couldn't have gone better for you anyway. Other people, without the benefit of an interview, might not be so lucky!

Again, this is moot as you now pay £75 for a review - from some "expert" ([ex?]teacher) or another - of as yet undetermined quality :dontknow:
Inglisred
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByronicHero)
Well, people are free to disregard the advice they receive if they like. The truth is that so many PSs are horribly written, contain little or no academic substance and are replete with errors. Add to this the fact that advice from schools is often lazy at best and harmful at worst and I'm sure you can understand that having the free review service on here was incredibly useful to thousands of applicants. I personally didn't use the service when writing my PS so I understand having confidence in your own abilities but I think extending your confidence to to other people could persuade them not to heed good advice - advice they may want or need more than you do.

As you say - things couldn't have gone better for you anyway. Other people, without the benefit of an interview, might not be so lucky!

Again, this is moot as you now pay £75 for a review - from some "expert" ([ex?]teacher) or another - of as yet undetermined quality :dontknow:
Were you a PS helper? I can tell that you're skeptical of the new system. How come the old system was removed? I feel would have really benefited from it, esp since people outside really do give awful advice.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Were you a PS helper? I can tell that you're skeptical of the new system. How come the old system was removed? I feel would have really benefited from it, esp since people outside really do give awful advice.
I was, but am now part of the new "PS Advisor" service. We don't actually provide reviews but float around trying to advise applicants as best we can without the ability to see their statements.

The old system was removed because demand was outgrowing supply and TSR decided that a different approach was necessary.

Most people benefited from the service, but I think the logic from their end is that the new PS help tool, in tandem with a paid "expert" review service (with - relevantly - concessions for poorer students) will offer more utility.

I am highly skeptical. I wasn't really around to engage in the behind the scenes discussion previously as I wasn't really active on the site but my understanding is that we (meaning the PS help team, past and current) are all skeptical. The choice, however, was a simple one. When it was clear that the decision(s) had been made we had the option to put ourselves forward for the new team or not. Frankly, the former choice affords those of us who are so inclined the opportunity to engage with how the new service - which is of course in its infancy - develops.

I'm sorry the service no longer exists for you to make use of but if you have any questions somebody should be able to help you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (59)
21.77%
Excited but a bit nervous (124)
45.76%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.92%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.56%

Watched Threads