The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Wireless internet, what ya need!

Don't know if someone has told you or you've had all the bumpf and useless printed stuff of LIS (Library), but to get the internet in your room you need to make sure you PC can pick up a wireless connection.

Most laptops will pick one up but if it doesn't work or is too weak you'll have to get one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/45581

and for desktop PC's you need a wireless reciever like:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/45622

The library sell them, but they sell out and you have to wait weeks for them to come in, so I suggest you either get there quickly or go to a shop in Swansea Market called "Mike-O-Soft" (see what they did there :wink:) and they sell them.

The internet is free in the halls, village and campus. Ignore ntl, trying to sell you stuff.
Reply 1
awh your like our little guide to swansea :smile: thanks!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
yeah.. legend. What's their policy on downloading stuff? I know they're obviously gonna tell you you can't do it, but do many people find ways around it?

I need my Lost fix!!!!

Also, are there any sort of filters on the internet to block you from certain websites?
Reply 3
gez1809
yeah.. legend. What's their policy on downloading stuff? I know they're obviously gonna tell you you can't do it, but do many people find ways around it?

I need my Lost fix!!!!

Also, are there any sort of filters on the internet to block you from certain websites?

All of the internet is avaliable with the exception of Torrents and limewire.

So I'm afraid illegal downloading is unavaliable. Although you can do what I did when I was there and pay (in Fosters cans, 1 can per episode of Lost Season 2) a 2nd year in private accomodation (like me) to download it for you and rip it to DVD and meet up :rolleyes:
Reply 4
ooh i just had an idea... Im assuming things like YouSendIt are accessable, so i may get my friend who's staying at home to download them and upload them for me every week. I could buy him a few pints whenever he's home...

I think i'll see what i can do...
Reply 5
Thanks for the info, I was gunna ask but you got there first:smile:

Glad its all available, obviously I assumed you wouldnt be able to p2p, will have to download my music/movies before i go :wink:

edit; oh i meant to ask how long does it take to get it all sorted, is it instant registration or do I have to wait 24hrs or so?
Reply 6
Jacksonxvi
Thanks for the info, I was gunna ask but you got there first:smile:

Glad its all available, obviously I assumed you wouldnt be able to p2p, will have to download my music/movies before i go :wink:

edit; oh i meant to ask how long does it take to get it all sorted, is it instant registration or do I have to wait 24hrs or so?

Forgot to mention this! It's the most complicated thing ever to set up. Sorry if this is long but it you need to know how to do it!

To log into anything your username is you student number and your password is you date of birth e.g. 322456 and 12/12/86.

Your wireless network card has an individual number called a MAC address. You have to go into the LIS library and register your computer's MAC address to the system (people will help you with this when your there).

Or I don't see why you can't do it now, as this is the page you use:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/computing/forms/docking.asp

There's instructions on how to obtain the MAC address at the bottom of that page.

You then have to wait I think a day and it'll be fine to use.

In order to use it though you have to setup the "nomadic" connections on your computer. This is done by the following, select the operating system you have on the right, like XP home, Xp pro ec... and also set up IE or Firefox.

http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/computing/networking/howto/xp_hme_roam.asp

Then It'll work :smile:

It's the most complicated crap system ever! Nomadic will haunt you for a year :biggrin:

Also by the way, take some (like 4-6) passport photographs with you. You have to have them for your student card etc... And don't forget to pick up an NUS card in the Freshers tent.

Bet your glad you asked :smile:
Reply 7
"Students must be fully enrolled before this service can be used. You will not be able to register if you are not fully enrolled."

looks like I'll have to wait until I'm enrolled (especially since it says it will email me once its registered, i.e to my uni email address which I dont have yet:P)

I have 3 passport photos to take, had 4 but set off one for the student card, hoping this is enough!

Oh nooo a week without msn how will I cope?!
Reply 8
Jacksonxvi
"Students must be fully enrolled before this service can be used. You will not be able to register if you are not fully enrolled."

looks like I'll have to wait until I'm enrolled (especially since it says it will email me once its registered, i.e to my uni email address which I dont have yet:P)

I have 3 passport photos to take, had 4 but set off one for the student card, hoping this is enough!

Oh nooo a week without msn how will I cope?!

haha never mind, you'll hopefully be too drunk to care...

btw, the uni email access is from email.swan.ac.uk
Reply 9
My stupid laptop got a virus and died yesterday. Sending it back on Monday. Second time I've had to do this since I got it a month ago (first time was a hard disk error so they just replaced it), but this time they're reparing it so it will be over a week before I get it back, which means I won't have it for moving into uni. Will that cock everything up in terms of registering my computer and setting up the internet and stuff, as I'll probably have to wait at least a week after getting there for my dad to bring it up.
Reply 10
Do you have to send off a passport photo for the student cards before you get to Swansea?
Reply 11
Yeah, I received a letter demanding a photo for the Uni ID card weeks ago. I assume you can do it down there though.
Reply 12
Got a question for you -

What's Swansea's policy on things like skype, netmeeting, webcams/microphones on msn messenger etc?

Ive heard some uni's dont allow these things.
We got sent this earlier...

You may or may not be aware that there are some significant changes coming into effect regarding the Swansea Wireless Internet Service ready for the start of the next academic year.
Most of these changes will be transparent to the majority of users, but some will affect everyone.
The most significant change that applies to those of you who already use the service, is that the wireless network name (or SSID) is changing from 'nomadic' to 'uniroam'. The method of authenticating to the network will remain unchanged; it's only the network name that is changing.
Work to carry out this change is being done at the beginning of next week, Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th September.
After this work is complete the SSID of 'nomadic' will no longer be available and as a result if you do not associate to 'uniroam' you will not be able to use the service.
Depending upon your set up and Operating System you may be required to set your wireless adapter to associate (connect) to the new SSID of 'uniroam'; you should only have to do this the first time that you connect to the SWIS after the work is complete.
All online registration forms and documentation pages have been taken off line as of today until Wednesday 27th September in order not to cause confusion for new intake arriving over the weekend period.
The other change that you may notice is that over the summer a great deal of work has been carried out to install wireless access points in nearly all teaching buildings on campus; these works are almost complete and these buildings will be brought online in due course.
The SWIS website has been updated and now includes a forum which will hopefully help users quickly find a solution to any problems they may encounter. The SWIS site can be found at http://swis.swan.ac.uk ; Please note, as stated above these pages are currently offline until Wednesday 27th September.
We apologise for any inconvenience that this disruption to the service will cause; though we hope that the changes come into effect with as little confusion and trauma as possible.
Many thanks,
IT Support.

Latest