The 'No' vote is bad for the English

Watch
Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Put aside, regarding the Scots fate, all the BS about how they would have ended up having powers transferred to Brussels rather than Westminster(not entirely convinced as to why westminster are such infallible gods, and we are controlled in large part by Brussels and America anyhow, but there you go). But it's profoundly bad for the English as a nation because they are politically ignorant, sedated, and it will reinforce their conservatism and complacency. The establishment only came up about a week before the vote to make cursory, patronising speeches about how it wasn't a general election. It was a fear, not hope campaign. That crystallised it for me. But what's to come? More complacency, more refusal to deal with this nation on the basis of what it's true status in the world is, I've pointed to it before but America dictating whether we should stay in the EU, and Hammond announcing the deal that we will never take military action independently of the US does not wake anyone up, it's the same cloud cuckoo land and evoking of Monarchy, and empire. I really hoped that a Yes vote would force England to look at itself and reconfigure itself, that we would become more informed and involved in democracy, and start changing things, but if the Scots don't achieve their independence we could just get worse.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The thing is, depending on political alignment, it was either good or bad for rUK on a political front. On an economic front it's questionable, however socially it seems to be more bad.
Politically, if you prefer the Conservatives it's bad, after all the main thing gives Labour any hope of winning that could easily be removed is Scotland, obviously it works the other way if a Labour supporter
As far as socially, well maybe not socially but whatever, all this leads to is further devolved powers from Westminster while leaving England, as always, neglected.
Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
The thing is, depending on political alignment, it was either good or bad for rUK on a political front. On an economic front it's questionable, however socially it seems to be more bad.
Politically, if you prefer the Conservatives it's bad, after all the main thing gives Labour any hope of winning that could easily be removed is Scotland, obviously it works the other way if a Labour supporter
As far as socially, well maybe not socially but whatever, all this leads to is further devolved powers from Westminster while leaving England, as always, neglected.
Don't know exactly what you mean by 'socially'. I just meant generally in terms of making the English less apolitical, and waking them up, and also getting people more open minded and informed, not that god awful type of patriotism and conservatism which is all fantasy and living off the past. It's not that conservatism doesn't have it's place, but to me, they are conservative over the wrong issues(Monarchy, keeping the illusion of being the global player etc) and 'progressive' over the wrong ones, (the EU). The overwhelming trend seems to be one of conservatism and how other people, their betters, know best, combined with a lack of objectivity and a weird way of being continually hung up on tradition for it's own sake. The type of patriotism that it's not based on objective value and changing your country, but more the last refuge of the scoundrel. I see an awful lot of spite and delusion in the English(see response to Murray's support for independence as an example of what I'm talking about) and I think it comes from being the dying empire.
Monarchism is intimately linked with this mindset, I'd go so far as to say encourages it-ie an infantilized population living in the past.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)
Don't know exactly what you mean by 'socially'. I just meant generally in terms of making the English less apolitical, and waking them up, and also getting people more open minded and informed, not that god awful type of patriotism and conservatism which is all fantasy and living off the past. It's not that conservatism doesn't have it's place, but to me, they are conservative over the wrong issues(Monarchy, keeping the illusion of being the global player etc) and 'progressive' over the wrong ones, (the EU). The overwhelming trend seems to be one of conservatism and how other people, their betters, know best, combined with a lack of objectivity and a weird way of being continually hung up on tradition for it's own sake. The type of patriotism that it's not based on objective value and changing your country, but more the last refuge of the scoundrel. I see an awful lot of spite and delusion in the English(see response to Murray's support for independence as an example of what I'm talking about) and I think it comes from being the dying empire.
Monarchism is intimately linked with this mindset, I'd go so far as to say encourages it-ie an infantilized population living in the past.
By socially, I suppose I mean that Westminster pander to the whims of the minorities (the relevant ones being the Scotish, but also the Welsh and Northern Irish), while neglecting to extend the same "rights" to the majority, namely the English
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not as bad as it is for the Welsh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.09%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.18%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.18%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.91%

Watched Threads