The Student Room Group

Are women aware of and have they ever used dread game against their SO?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Riku is mad as balls. They were going to spend time off TSR and sort out their unhealthy views on relationships, women, and masculinity. Instead they appear to have just gone on a sabbatical to a bunch of even worse forums and come back all the crazier for it.

This isn't unhealthy, Scrotgrot just said people manipulate each other 24/7. Everyone's a liar lol
Original post by Riku
yes thanks for that, 'mad as balls' lol, I believe you'll find there's a technical term for it

Also, TSR is now swarming with MRAs and their kind, as well as a few oppressive militant feminists, this place is kinda toxic

finally, 'they'? I'm a single person :/

TSR has always been swarming with those types. It's been a lot quieter lately than a few months ago when there was that massive spate of gender/anti-feminist type threads.

The singular they is a perfectly acceptable grammatical construct. I tend to default to it for anyone whose preferred pronoun I don't explicitly know - a symptom of lots of time spent around non-binary people.
Reply 42
TSR has always been swarming with those types. It's been a lot quieter lately than a few months ago when there was that massive spate of gender/anti-feminist type threads.

The singular they is a perfectly acceptable grammatical construct. I tend to default to it for anyone whose preferred pronoun I don't explicitly know - a symptom of lots of time spent around non-binary people.

I see…it seems that JamieTT and that are still around under other usernames though

Understood. I am a man-or 'boy', whatever :smile:
Original post by Riku
This isn't unhealthy, Scrotgrot just said people manipulate each other 24/7. Everyone's a liar lol

It's incredibly unhealthy. And you're doing that thing of ignoring everyone who disagrees with you and taking the one person who does as proof that you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the same :yep: avoids any awkward mistakes or upsetting people :smile: I personally prefer they/them for myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Odd socks
It's incredibly unhealthy. And you're doing that thing of ignoring everyone who disagrees with you and taking the one person who does as proof that you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only unhealthy if one is unable to process all of the emotions associated with it, and then compartmentalise them, and rationalise them for reference in future scenarios

Scrotgrot has always been a devil's advocate in my threads, but is definitely not on the trolling or abusive level of some other people I have agreed with (can't name names, and it's not you :smile: )
Original post by Riku
well, obviously I'm too honest for my own good, as I have never told interviewers about imaginary "other jobs on the table", and find the whole "gotta stay cool" thing annoying now

I would be more scared of losing a relationship, does that make me a woman? I'm so confused.

"not as harmonious as it should be" when are r'ships ever in harmony? Women love opportunistically, men idealistically

Don't be stupid, ideally you want a relaxed relationship without manipulation on either side, ain't nobody got time for that. However of course there are often disagreements in relationships and a lot of establishing boundaries in the early parts, so it's good to know how to respond to unreasonable behaviour.

No it doesn't make you a woman to be scared of losing a relationship, I was mainly making a point about how women do broadly equivalent things to manipulate their partners too, so it's not an exclusively male form of tyranny. Really the point is you probably are scared of losing the relationship (just as women actually do quite like having sex) but you do best by keeping your cards close to your chest.

You don't have to actually say it in that many words I don't suppose, and not sure it would work for a large company with a bureaucratic HR department, inflexible salary scheme etc. But for anyone else if you respond saying, "Ohmygod thanks so much I've been waiting for this my whole life" you are going to get fingered on the salary front.

Another example would be getting discounts on the phone. Insist to EE that you're a loyal customer who loves the latest tech but can't afford the new contract, and you're going to have to make the difficult decision to go to O2 instead. If you genuinely sound like you might carry through with the threat, they'll fall over themselves to offer discounts.
Reply 47
Original post by scrotgrot
Don't be stupid, ideally you want a relaxed relationship without manipulation on either side, ain't nobody got time for that. However of course there are often disagreements in relationships and a lot of establishing boundaries in the early parts, so it's good to know how to respond to unreasonable behaviour.

No it doesn't make you a woman to be scared of losing a relationship, I was mainly making a point about how women do broadly equivalent things to manipulate their partners too, so it's not an exclusively male form of tyranny. Really the point is you probably are scared of losing the relationship (just as women actually do quite like having sex) but you do best by keeping your cards close to your chest.

You don't have to actually say it in that many words I don't suppose, and not sure it would work for a large company with a bureaucratic HR department, inflexible salary scheme etc. But for anyone else if you respond saying, "Ohmygod thanks so much I've been waiting for this my whole life" you are going to get fingered on the salary front.

Another example would be getting discounts on the phone. Insist to EE that you're a loyal customer who loves the latest tech but can't afford the new contract, and you're going to have to make the difficult decision to go to O2 instead. If you genuinely sound like you might carry through with the threat, they'll fall over themselves to offer discounts.

I can understand doing this in business as capitalism has always been a game, but we are talking about people's hearts and self-concept here.
Reply 48
Original post by Riku
it's straight-up manipulation Odd. Nothing I've ever wanted to use on myself but my ex used on me a couple of times, intentionally or not...

Everyone manipulates at certain stages of their life - in any situation. Intentionally and unintentionally. No one is THAT pure!
Original post by Riku

You misunderstood. It's very unhealthy and is an indicator of a bad relationship and an approach to people that is not going to give you an enjoyable life. My point is that there are some situations like interviews and contract renewals where "dread game" can work.

Riku
I can understand doing this in business as capitalism has always been a game, but we are talking about people's hearts and self-concept here.

That's more like it. Only saints and liars never use manipulation interpersonally, but if you are doing it 24/7 or around people who do it 24/7, that is toxic, pathological and your soul is going to go Dorian Gray pretty quickly.
Reply 50
Having followed the progress and decline of your last relationship, I think you imagined these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

can you explain and elaborate? I am still at odds as to what went wrong. All I know is things went a bit crap after our honeymoon because I was happy again, happy enough to come off my meds without telling my doctor (I was only on 5mg Fluoxetine by that point anyway)

that and I moved house/started third year/lost my cat and drums which stressed me out/was a bit sad

oh and she broke up with me in September due to cultural difference and got back with me in 3 days which made me question the stability of the r'ship

but yeah pleas Odd can you elaborate, if you remember?
You spent the whole time imagining that she was cheating on you, you made threads every day analysing her actions, you obsessed over her friend 'superman' and even though she broke up with you over her family and religious pressures you wouldn't accept that as her reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Riku
sorry if this is personal, if you are willing, can I ask what kinds of things she did to you? I'd like to now what to look out for, it's a big reason why I even look at TRP and its kind.

Cancel plans at the last minute, avoid sex, run out the house in the middle of the night, stay overnight elsewhere, not communicate, self harm, refuse to talk to me, not put effort into the relationship, attempt suicide for attention, etc. It got pretty ridiculous. Due to her being judged a danger to herself she was sectioned at one point.

She had depression so for a while I was understanding, but you can't pin all of that to depression. I came to understand most of it stemmed from attention-seeking. I really did stick by her through a lot, but in the end of course I had to break up with her. Now she is dating some loser boy racer type, posting on Facebook about how happy she is. I deleted her. It sucks that I still have to see her three times a week at aikido (her boyfriend too), but I see it as a test of character. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
No normal person worth any of your time does any of this stuff. (I hope)
What the actual **** Riku. It never stops with you, the bull**** just keeps on spouting.
Reply 55
Riku is mad as balls. They were going to spend time off TSR and sort out their unhealthy views on relationships, women, and masculinity. Instead they appear to have just gone on a sabbatical to a bunch of even worse forums and come back all the crazier for it.

I think my mental health has slightly improved actually.
Reply 56
You spent the whole time imagining that she was cheating on you, you made threads every day analysing her actions, you obsessed over her friend 'superman' and even though she broke up with you over her family and religious pressures you wouldn't accept that as her reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

I regret a lot of that now.she did make me feel uncomfortable re Superman though.

I should have told.her I was having intrusive thoughts about really unhealthy views on r ships and wanted her support. That it was about me my paranoia and trust issues after seeing my parents divorce, not her.

Idk whether that will go down with the next girl

I am not sure why you are singling me out for 'threads every day analysing her actions' though. I thought that is quite normal to query on the Relationships forum? :s-smilie:
Reply 57
With respect to the PUA community and their (unfortunate) right to exist, everything they say is bull**** and in the wrong persons hands has the potential to be lethal.
Reply 58
Original post by miser
Cancel plans at the last minute, avoid sex, run out the house in the middle of the night, stay overnight elsewhere, not communicate, self harm, refuse to talk to me, not put effort into the relationship, attempt suicide for attention, etc. It got pretty ridiculous. Due to her being judged a danger to herself she was sectioned at one point.

She had depression so for a while I was understanding, but you can't pin all of that to depression. I came to understand most of it stemmed from attention-seeking. I really did stick by her through a lot, but in the end of course I had to break up with her. Now she is dating some loser boy racer type, posting on Facebook about how happy she is. I deleted her. It sucks that I still have to see her three times a week at aikido (her boyfriend too), but I see it as a test of character. :tongue:

Wow, ok.she sounds a handful. There have only been a few times i had the urge ti do stuff luke stay over somewhere else

mine refused to talk at bad times.she has/had depression but was/is in denial judging by her behaviour.cultural stigma in Indian families of mental illness (can anyone confirm this?)

But she was never that bad. Although she did mention death in a 'you're the reason
i'm still alive' way too much for comfort..bot prepared to say anymore, not fair on her.

I know mine did too.:-(
Original post by Riku
I regret a lot of that now.she did make me feel uncomfortable re Superman though.

I should have told.her I was having intrusive thoughts about really unhealthy views on r ships and wanted her support. That it was about me my paranoia and trust issues after seeing my parents divorce, not her.

Idk whether that will go down with the next girl

I am not sure why you are singling me out for 'threads every day analysing her actions' though. I thought that is quite normal to query on the Relationships forum? :s-smilie:

Most people would only post a question in relationships occasionally, it seemed like you were posting threads basically every day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest