Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Lmao I nearly died today, I went to watch the Liverpool match in a pub. When Basel scored I shouted loudly "YESS" everyone looked at me for like ten seconds. I swear I wanted the floor to open up, thank God I think someone would've bottled me.
    Once you do something like that you have to go all in tbh:

ReputationRep:
    Piss easy tonight, knew it would be tbh since a)Turkish football is shocking and b)in general they cant travel. Saying that Welbeck was brilliant obviously, as was Sanchez and Ozil was good too so hopefully they can do something on the break at the bridge. I can imagine Jose playing Terry/Cahill very deep to avoid leaving any space behind so we shouldnt get overrun at least. AOC and Sanchez out wide worked well and gave us a natural shape so I'd just play that again at the w/e. Half tempted to play Wilshere for Flamini as well, Flamini is absolutely dire really and we may as well go with Jack, Santi and Ozil tbh.

Szczesny made a mistake and it happens but he's always looking to get involved when he should stand his ground. It's the one thing that'll prevent him making it as a top keeper. When he was 21 I thought he'd grow out of it but he's arguably worse now as he's more confident and cocky. Ospina looked good so maybe that'll calm him down. Probably not.

Gala fans absolute cretins as well. Never understood why people say they have good fans really. BVB/Celtic make just as much noise but you can have a laugh and a beer after the game whereas the Turks will always just start some aggro.

I think we should be looking to beat BVB at home to top this group. Really desperate for a CL run to make the season interesting with the inevitability of another tame top4 finish on the horizon. Something tells me Gala might take some points off them in Germany anyway so hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Watching the tide of opinion on Chesney change over the last couple of years has been amusing.
    Yep overrated keeper. Remember back a few seasons Arsenal fans were adamant he was a better prospect than De Gea and at one point was touted as one of the best keepers in the league :lol:

He's a joke. Just like Podolski his social media personality clouds the fans' judgment on him as they fail to judge him as an actual player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Piss easy tonight, knew it would be tbh since a)Turkish football is shocking and b)in general they cant travel. Saying that Welbeck was brilliant obviously, as was Sanchez and Ozil was good too so hopefully they can do something on the break at the bridge. I can imagine Jose playing Terry/Cahill very deep to avoid leaving any space behind so we shouldnt get overrun at least. AOC and Sanchez out wide worked well and gave us a natural shape so I'd just play that again at the w/e. Half tempted to play Wilshere for Flamini as well, Flamini is absolutely dire really and we may as well go with Jack, Santi and Ozil tbh.

Szczesny made a mistake and it happens but he's always looking to get involved when he should stand his ground. It's the one thing that'll prevent him making it as a top keeper. When he was 21 I thought he'd grow out of it but he's arguably worse now as he's more confident and cocky. Ospina looked good so maybe that'll calm him down. Probably not.

Gala fans absolute cretins as well. Never understood why people say they have good fans really. BVB/Celtic make just as much noise but you can have a laugh and a beer after the game whereas the Turks will always just start some aggro.

I think we should be looking to beat BVB at home to top this group. Really desperate for a CL run to make the season interesting with the inevitability of another tame top4 finish on the horizon. Something tells me Gala might take some points off them in Germany anyway so hope for the best!
    No sex before marriage.....

ReputationRep:
    Szc is a good keeper. Good shot stopper. Needs to work on his distribution and concentration levels.

ReputationRep:
    Most frustrating part of tonight for me was Szc getting sent off more because I thought it could have been a hammering. 6/7/8 we could have scored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Yep overrated keeper. Remember back a few seasons Arsenal fans were adamant he was a better prospect than De Gea and at one point was touted as one of the best keepers in the league
    Standard enjoyment no matter who you support, slowly finding yourself proven right on a player, even more so when its negative on another teams player. Think that is why people love saying players are going to flop and such.

DDG comparison is good, but even DDG isn't in top form now. His weaknesses mentally are still evident, he's just a significantly more talented keeper.

ReputationRep:
    Yep overrated keeper. Remember back a few seasons Arsenal fans were adamant he was a better prospect than De Gea and at one point was touted as one of the best keepers in the league :lol:

He's a joke. Just like Podolski his social media personality clouds the fans' judgment on him as they fail to judge him as an actual player.
    lol Woj is not overrated, never really has been by Arsenal fans or the media. I don't recall the De Gea thing tbh.

Woj is a excellent keeper, only criticism I can land at him is his poor concentration, lack of communication and poor with set pieces. The fans have been critical of him so I don't see the social media clouding their judgement

ReputationRep:
    Szczesny was, remains and will be a better keeper than De Gea.

De Gea is **** imho.

ReputationRep:
    No serious fan advocates starting Podolski.

The guy has three responsibilities: keeping the Germans in check, keeping the squad entertained, and scoring a screamer with his left foot when we're chasing a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I just pulled my hoody over my head and sunk into my chair :lol:, praying everyone will look at the TV.
    I almost got murdered a few years back Basel goal against United, looks like that swiss team enjoys getting fans in trouble haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    No serious fan advocates starting Podolski.

The guy has three responsibilities: keeping the Germans in check, keeping the squad entertained, and scoring a screamer with his left foot when we're chasing a game.
    I'd just send Podolski on the beer runs

cue Instagram selfie : #tesco #bier #team #nicetobeinvolved #aha

ReputationRep:
    Szczesny was, remains and will be a better keeper than De Gea.

De Gea is **** imho.
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'd just send Podolski on the beer runs

cue Instagram selfie : #tesco #bier #team #nicetobeinvolved #aha
    No self-respecting German shops at Tesco - it's all about Lidl and Aldi.

I'm sure he could be our Muller if we dressed him up in lederhosen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    No self-respecting German shops at Tesco - it's all about Lidl and Aldi.

I'm sure he could be our Muller if we dressed him up in lederhosen.
    Yer but Podolski is also a Polack, his instinct is to get down to the nearest costcutter, get the Tyskie pivo in and just do them on the street with the boys after a hard day on the building site :laugh:

Mertesacker would do a proper beer run imo, probably get to one of those German speciality stalls in Borough market, and fill up the boot of his BMW 4x4 with Oktoberfest brews. Top mann. Mesut can suss out the nearest kebab house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    I know I'm going to come across like I'm overly excited right now lol, but trust me, our performances are getting better and better. Obviously we'll lose on Sunday, but there's a lot more fluidity now. I just hope that the loss doesn't effect us mentally becuse we can really go on a run after Sunday, we have winnable games for a month or so.

My only fear apart from that is Wenger playing people out of position again. Cazorla & Ozil worked so well in the middle & I hope that convinced him to only play the two in the middle. If not then don't play them.

Obviously we arnt winning the league, 3rd place would be a good progression, and I'll be more than happy with that.
    How is 3rd a good progression when it's just a consequence of utds and liverpools regression

ReputationRep:

Gala fans are just crazy. They made a ton of noise but it was not cool when they started throwing flares.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    question: Ive seen this 'debate' floating around Twitter a lot recently. Is Brendan Rodgers a better manager than Wenger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deborarosa)
    question: Ive seen this 'debate' floating around Twitter a lot recently. Is Brendan Rodgers a better manager than Wenger?
    In my mind there is absolutely no argument to be made for Rodgers. He hasn't won anything significant, he hasn't built a club legacy, he hasn't produced world beaters from raw youth products (maybe argument for Sterling here) etc. He's a good man manager, a decent tactician and he's a more than decent developer of players and could well become a top manager. But it's really no competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deborarosa)
    Has Brendan won anything yet? Don't remember so, but maybe before Liverpool?

If the answer is no, then until. He does, he can't really be compared to wenger, even in his older and now more regressed form

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.