Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Worst post on this entire forum. Ever.
    You are mistaken, Sir. I myself have made worse posts this very morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Fair point on his pace. But at present the guy is just killing it and the likes of Real/PSG are well known for paying for the here and now. The guy's one on one defending is crazy, he's like a dog with a bone when he gets stuck in.

Also genuinely surprised you havent said

''Koscielny is ****, wouldnt make the Chelsea bench'' or just some random psyco grievance
    If Koscielny is 35M then I wonder how much the CB partnership of Gary Cahill and Terry would have gone for last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I rate Koscielny highly, but £35m for a 29 year old defender? lol. If Arsenal were offered half that fee they'd sell him.
    I disagree Vermaelen was 15m, David Luiz 50m and Mathieu was 17.5m so why can't Koscielny be 35m?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    If Koscielny is 35M then I wonder how much the CB partnership of Gary Cahill and Terry would have gone for last season.
    Obviously John Terry is still class, and at his peak was a world class individual defender as well as a terrific organiser of a defence. But do you really think Cahill, taken on his own and away from JT, is in the class of Koscielny? I certainly dont. You can see that when he plays for England as well.

You could play JT and Djourou and have a great pairing, but you'd need a really top partner to make Cahill look the business imho. Nothing wrong with that either really, CB is all about the partnership.

If I were to pick 2 CBs from the PL to play together, it'd be Terry + Koscielny actually.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of JT, I came across this the other day. Man, people have a lot of time on their hands

http://youtu.be/yFRZb4AWk0c

ReputationRep:
    oooo santi cazorla oooo santi cazorla oooo santi cazorla!!!!
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Bare guys in my uni just love to casually wear the Arsenal jersey...nearly every day.

ReputationRep:
    That's always been his Achilles heel, but he does seem to have hardened up recently. I think he's one of those players who picks up wear and tear injuries basically so we should continue getting Monreal playing 1/3 games against winnable sides to protect him. He played over 40 games last season as well tbf.

What I like about Gibbs more this season is that his attacking game has gone up a level. He seems more confident and willing to make runs into the box, even dribbling at times :eek:, and because of his athleticism and stamina he rarely is found out of position. He defends in a very strange fashion, sort of harrying and basically being a nuisance rather than making clean tackles, but it's very effective in general.

Gibbs always seemed like a nice, down to earth bloke as well and a real Arsenal man so I';d really like him to make that LB position his until well into his 30s
    Gibbs is a really average player.

He's fairly quick and good defensively but going forward his final ball is dog****e. Now Debuchy is the opposite, but the issue is with CC playing at RB we don't have a good 'attacking' full back. Gibbs' just running though does create width in the attack.

Imo we should look to sell Monreal and get an elite full back, frustrating too see Luis go to Chelsea for £15m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Gibbs is a really average player.

He's fairly quick and good defensively but going forward his final ball is dog****e. Now Debuchy is the opposite, but the issue is with CC playing at RB we don't have a good 'attacking' full back. Gibbs' just running though does create width in the attack.

Imo we should look to sell Monreal and get an elite full back, frustrating too see Luis go to Chelsea for £15m.

Outside of a handful of top top full backs, Lahm etc, most of the good ones are defined by their dependability. Nobody would call Lee Dixon a superstar but he hardly ever made a mistake and did all of the basics right and I think Gibbs does too.Agree that his crossing is beyond shocking, but as I say Ive noticed an improvement in his general attacking play recently. He seems more willing to make the overlapping runs and to get into the box, probably because Sanchez is such a good defensive winger to cover. Then youve got Welbeck as well who will press to cover him at times.

I'm really not a fan of Debuchy though, cant trust him and even his attacking play isnt all that compared with say Coleman. Eventually we shall surely see Walcott+Deb on the right side, and we will be royally ****ed on the counter. Monreal is similar, although I think his attacking play is superior to Debuchy's. I'd happily flog Monreal to bring in a good LB, but there arent many about really anywhere. Gibbs is about as good as well find.

Calum Chambers will eventually be a CB anyway so longer term well need to bring in a RB.

ReputationRep:
    Outside of a handful of top top full backs, Lahm etc, most of the good ones are defined by their dependability. Nobody would call Lee Dixon a superstar but he hardly ever made a mistake and did all of the basics right and I think Gibbs does too.Agree that his crossing is beyond shocking, but as I say Ive noticed an improvement in his general attacking play recently. He seems more willing to make the overlapping runs and to get into the box, probably because Sanchez is such a good defensive winger to cover. Then youve got Welbeck as well who will press to cover him at times.

I'm really not a fan of Debuchy though, cant trust him and even his attacking play isnt all that compared with say Coleman. Eventually we shall surely see Walcott+Deb on the right side, and we will be royally ****ed on the counter. Monreal is similar, although I think his attacking play is superior to Debuchy's. I'd happily flog Monreal to bring in a good LB, but there arent many about really anywhere. Gibbs is about as good as well find.

Calum Chambers will eventually be a CB anyway so longer term well need to bring in a RB.
    True about dependability. Gibbo's very reliable. Bar THAT slip against Utd, he's never made a major mistake for us. I still would like a young left back to replace Monreal.

Debuchy's decent going forward, and is fairly quick again. I suspect he'll be the more 'attacking' full back as opposed to the past season where Gibbs has been that and Sagna has been crossing from deep. Not sure Gibbs can cross from deep.

Hectorinho is the future right back imo.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian now reporting that Aaron Ramsey will likely be out for 2 months, as opposed to the 4-6 weeks Wenger initially said. We'll be lucky to see him again in 2014 though, naturally.

When will this injury madness end? I just dont know what to say about it, but we're well past the discussion stage. The fact we go through a season carrying half a dozen injured players at any one time, and the fact that injuries invariably turn out to be much worse than expected was apparent years ago.

I am waiting for Alexis Sanchez or Koscielny to get some bizarre knock that sees them out for the rest of the year as well. Any day now.

And where the hell is Theo Walcott? He was supposed to be back for pre-season?

How are we supposed to compete with the likes of Chelsea when we have worse injury cases in a single week than they have in 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...st-galatasaray

Wdf? That's so dumb. How the **** are we gna face disciplinary when the Turks were throwing around fire works? We have a 60,000 seater stadium, how on earth does UEFA expect us to search everyone? It's so impractical. Fireworks can be hidden so easily inside pockets so unless UEFA expect us to have a full on body check before we enter the stadium, I don't see their point.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian now reporting that Aaron Ramsey will likely be out for 2 months, as opposed to the 4-6 weeks Wenger initially said. We'll be lucky to see him again in 2014 though, naturally.

When will this injury madness end? I just dont know what to say about it, but we're well past the discussion stage. The fact we go through a season carrying half a dozen injured players at any one time, and the fact that injuries invariably turn out to be much worse than expected was apparent years ago.

I am waiting for Alexis Sanchez or Koscielny to get some bizarre knock that sees them out for the rest of the year as well. Any day now.

And where the hell is Theo Walcott? He was supposed to be back for pre-season?

How are we supposed to compete with the likes of Chelsea when we have worse injury cases in a single week than they have in 6 months?
    That new physio we got clearly hasn't changed anything significant. Perhaps it's the training methods? Or perhaps we're just disgustingly unlucky

Walcotts injury was 9 mounths minimum so it's about right (considering our injured played always return around 3 weeks after they're expected)

ReputationRep:
    x
    Don't worry Shad Forsythe will perform a Mr Miyagi esque hand rub heal on Rambo's hamstring and he'll be back before you know it.

Arsenal will be winning 1 nil at the Bridge with 10 to go. Jose will whisper "sweep the leg....no mercy" to Ramires as he comes on. Jack leaves the field injured minutes later. Chelsea win 3-1

(Original post by SHOO)
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9499643/champion-league-arsenal-may-face-uefa-disciplinary-action-following-crowd-trouble-against-galatasaray

Wdf? That's so dumb. How the **** are we gna face disciplinary when the Turks were throwing around fire works? We have a 60,000 seater stadium, how on earth does UEFA expect us to search everyone? It's so impractical. Fireworks can be hidden so easily inside pockets so unless UEFA expect us to have a full on body check before we enter the stadium, I don't see their point.
    It's galatasaray. Arsenal knew what to expect tbf and they should had the away fans properly searched, it isn't practical I know. Our CCTV should be able to pin point the individuals who lit them that should count for something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Don't worry Shad Forsythe will perform a Mr Miyagi esque hand rub heal on Rambo's hamstring and he'll be back before you know it.

Arsenal will be winning 1 nil at the Bridge with 10 to go. Jose will whisper "sweep the leg....no mercy" to Ramires as he comes on. Jack leaves the field injured minutes later. Chelsea win 3-1

It's galatasaray. Arsenal knew what to expect tbf and they should had the away fans properly searched, it isn't practical I know. Our CCTV should be able to pin point the individuals who lit them that should count for something
    Forgot to add, jack leaves the field after we've made all our substitutions.

I'm actually working so I'll miss the game. Will just have a peak at the score line when I can. Last year I sat through that whole torture. From the moment Giroud missed his chance, to the moment when they got their sixth my head rested firmly in my hands. Dark day that was. Poor Gibbs lmao.

Perhaps. But the whole concept is so stupid. It will, action will be taken again gaal too, it's just annoying how somehow we're at fault too. If we have to play them behind closed doors, wouldn't it just be a beauty haha.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously John Terry is still class, and at his peak was a world class individual defender as well as a terrific organiser of a defence. But do you really think Cahill, taken on his own and away from JT, is in the class of Koscielny? I certainly dont. You can see that when he plays for England as well.

You could play JT and Djourou and have a great pairing, but you'd need a really top partner to make Cahill look the business imho. Nothing wrong with that either really, CB is all about the partnership.

If I were to pick 2 CBs from the PL to play together, it'd be Terry + Koscielny actually.
    agree tbh. that would be a great pairing too.

ReputationRep:
    lol oh wow did anybody forget how Kosc got burned in Dortmund the other day lmfao

Arsenal fans, £35m for Koscielny, LMFAO

ReputationRep:
    arsenal fans ngl bestest fanbase in the world lolnso much

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if a goal has been scored via a deflection off someone's chin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I disagree Vermaelen was 15m, David Luiz 50m and Mathieu was 17.5m so why can't Koscielny be 35m?
    Kosc is good but he never goes for 35M Benatia when for 30M euros and he had like 3-4 years in his contract after a terrific season with roma, PSG were just stupid to pay 50M for luiz and Mathieu was a bad piece of business from Barca th

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.