Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Feeling quite sad and lonely Halls was sold out so I had to move into a rented house, which I share with a bunch of mature and international students that don't speak English. The first two nights I didn't have anyone to go with to the clubs and bar crawl so just stayed in my room and skyped my boyfriend. (lame, I know..I just didn't want to go on my own). Today is the first day of lectures, and I managed to talk to a few people on my course but as soon as break or lunch started, they went off with their hall mates. I wandered around for a bit and everyone was sitting with their own group of people, I couldn't just scrape in. I suppose even if I join a society, it will be the same.
    I'm not even shy, I do talk a lot but it takes a while to know me. I don't know what to do, I seriously don't want to go through Uni with no friends, I'm so sad and it sucks to eat on your own. I really want to talk to more people but how can you when you are on your own? Help me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in pretty much the same position. What makes it worse is I'm not a huge fan of drinking, I'll go out and everything but I don't really drink and everything social in Freshers week seems to be about drinking. :/

ReputationRep:
    You could try to spot the other people who are out of groups, they are probably feeling the same way you are and would appreciate someone to doss about with, even if you don't have course/living space in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcoscroft)
    I'm in pretty much the same position. What makes it worse is I'm not a huge fan of drinking, I'll go out and everything but I don't really drink and everything social in Freshers week seems to be about drinking. :/
    You're tripping. I don't drink at all, I went to basically none of the events going on at my uni, I still made a **** tonne of friends.

Am in my 2nd year now

If you can't find them at clubs or w/e you'll find them in your lectures (even after a long time, people were constantly joining our larger group, friends are made non-stop until like exam season in Summer), if you can't find them in lectures, you'll find them in societies, if you can't find them in Lectures, halls, friends of friends, clubs and societies then it's probably a matter of time

You need to realise freshers and the couple of weeks following is literally new ground for everyone, unless you're an annoying, obnoxious ****, you can talk to anyone

Y'all are sweating your own impatience

EDIT:
    (Original post by DasSnipez)
    You could try to spot the other people who are out of groups, they are probably feeling the same way you are and would appreciate someone to doss about with, even if you don't have course/living space in common.
    This is good advice also, come the 8th week I was in, I would still see people hanging around the central area just sitting down next to random people and striking up convo.

ReputationRep:
    Try seeing if your uni does events for off campus/local students and rock up to them. Everyone there is in the same situation as you and all looking to make friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Chanelephantxox)
    Feeling quite sad and lonely Halls was sold out so I had to move into a rented house, which I share with a bunch of mature and international students that don't speak English. The first two nights I didn't have anyone to go with to the clubs and bar crawl so just stayed in my room and skyped my boyfriend. (lame, I know..I just didn't want to go on my own). Today is the first day of lectures, and I managed to talk to a few people on my course but as soon as break or lunch started, they went off with their hall mates. I wandered around for a bit and everyone was sitting with their own group of people, I couldn't just scrape in. I suppose even if I join a society, it will be the same.
    I'm not even shy, I do talk a lot but it takes a while to know me. I don't know what to do, I seriously don't want to go through Uni with no friends, I'm so sad and it sucks to eat on your own. I really want to talk to more people but how can you when you are on your own? Help me?
    i commute in to uni each day and i managed to make a nice little group of friends, i went onto the main freshers facebook page and got talking to a few people on my course and then agreed to meet up with one of them who introduced me to her friends. i also met some people by just saying hi outside lectures. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chanelephantxox)

(Original post by bcoscroft)
    It is harder, but not hopeless. Try societies! Binidng with people who have the same interest is sometimes easier, than living together. And in second year, a lot of poeple will move. At the beginning it might seem like everything is going by halls, but talking with each other in lectures and learn together with others is where you spent most time. Have the courage to be positive and be proactive. Talk to everyone and be nice, then you will meet someone. It is harder, yes, but that doesn't make it impossible.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I just got chatting with some people in my lectures or waiting outside my lectures, i was with a few people i had made friends with already and then they introduced me to their friends, just happened like that, some i talked to more and they are becoming proper friends others i didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Next time you chat to someone, ask what they're planning to do later and either tag along or let them ask you. Once you're with a group of people you'll probably feel more confident

Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -TALK to people in your lectures/seminars/around campus. If you're desperate just go say hi to randoms

-JOIN a social group DO IT

-GEG (lol) with old friends in halls, at hour parties etc. (ideally not forever however)

-VOLUNTEER for any events happening around Uni. Help lecturers, with freshers fairs, anything societies are arranging

Just do anything for the love of God anything to make sure you don't go around for 3 years alone

If you can't do that, my advice is

i) Harden your heart so that feelings of loneliness, isolation and not belonging become blunted

ii) Cut yourself off from social media, including The Student Room. It will only make you feel more isolated

iii) Find quiet corners in the library to work

iv) Study your ass off, if you plan to have next to no social life in uni then you may as well make the most of the damn academic side.

I'm being blunt with you for your own good. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I was in halls for a week and managed to make a nice group of friends to hang around with and from the outside it probably looks like we're the best of friends but really we're just sticking together to try and ease the loneliness, so don't be intimidated by groups of people. Just keep talking to whoever you sit with in lectures whenever you can, even if it's just a small comment it breaks the ice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2014
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.