The Student Room Group

Do you value the capital one cup?

Scroll to see replies

Normally but this season...not after the night that should not be named.
Original post by Wilfred Little
A good post on the whole, but 'proper teams'?

Everton, Spurs, Aston Villa are not proper teams?

Taking them for any Accrington or Woking.

(Last time I checked Woking were in the conference so couldn't play in it, mate's mom is a supporter but you get the point)

Yeah I know lol, fair point
Reply 42
Original post by SirMasterKey
Normally but this season...not after the night that should not be named.

I know, mate. Can't believe Crewe took Bolton to extra time either.
Original post by YesAllMen
Why/why not? I definitely don't see it in the same light as say the FA Cup. Many teams don't take it seriously as well which lowers it's prestige but then a trophy's a trophy I suppose.

Yes because it's a trophy albeit not overly prestigious but a trophy nonetheless which helps to instil a winning mentality in the team. As a Man City fan having seen my team been starved of success for many years until recent years, winning the League Cup would have been celebrated massively. Even in this day with our riches I still would be happy winning the League Cup but I would hope it would act as a catalyst for further success.

Furthermore it gives smaller clubs the chance of a trophy, a Wembley appearance and a possible place in the Europa League.....and if they win the Europa League the following season they will (as of this season onwards) secure a Champions League spot for the following season.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Yes because it's a trophy albeit not overly prestigious but a trophy nonetheless which helps to instil a winning mentality in the team. As a Man City fan having seen my team been starved of success for many years until recent years, winning the League Cup would have been celebrated massively. Even in this day with our riches I still would be happy winning the League Cup but I would hope it would act as a catalyst for further success.

Furthermore it gives smaller clubs the chance of a trophy, a Wembley appearance and a possible place in the Europa League.....and if they win the Europa League the following season they will (as of this season onwards) secure a Champions League spot for the following season.

Interesting to think that if that rule had always been in place we could easily have seen Middlesbrough and Fulham play Champions League football in the last decade!
Yes, it's silverware and a place in Europe.
Original post by Green_Pink
Interesting to think that if that rule had always been in place we could easily have seen Middlesbrough and Fulham play Champions League football in the last decade!

Indeed.
Silverware is silverware tbh. If Arsenal won it I'd be happy, but it's not a trophy I'd go nuts over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Unfortunately, much like the Europa League, not really. When most of the clubs don't seem to value it, its difficult for me as a fan to then value it.
Reply 49
If Liverpool were in the Europa League, I'd legit value Capital One Cup more. The Europa League is an absolute shambles of a competition.
Reply 50
Yes I do and so called top teams like Arsenal should also take it seriously as they have no chance on winning the PL or the CL in the near future.
Original post by Badshah
Yes I do and so called top teams like Arsenal should also take it seriously as they have no chance on winning the PL or the CL in the near future.

Lol at disputing whether Arsenal are a top team. There are about 5 clubs in Europe with indisputably bigger credentials
The LC is what it is, an opportunity to win a bit of silverware and see your team at Wembley. It is very very hard to take it very seriously though when Wenger has spent his time playing 17 year olds in it and when Arsenal have to sell tickets at £10 a go to fill the stadium. If we drew Chelsea/Spurs then I'd be pretty interested but other than that it's not much more than a spectacle. I was annoyed that we went out last night, but I was x50 more annoyed to lose to Dortmund the other weed for instance.

Ive always disputed the need for the competition though, why exactly do we need 2 domestic knockout competitions? The cup was solely created just to bring in revenue, the shameless sponsorship changes tell you that much. And if we have 2, why not 3?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Couldn't care less about it. Wenger once said that finishing fourth is more important than winning it and he's right. When even Championship and League One clubs are now playing weakened teams in a 3/4 empty stadium, something is badly wrong. There's barely any prize money and changing the sponsor name every few years doesn't help. In my lifetime i've seen it being referred to as the Coca Cola Cup, Worthington Cup, Carling Cup, Capital One Cup... hardly sounds prestigious does it?

As far as i'm concerned it's the Football League Cup, so it should be for Football League teams. Maybe add a rule that Premier League teams should have to play their reserve teams, because the u21 league really doesn't do much for their development.

It was the league cup initially because it doesn't involve non-league teams.
Original post by Zürich
Lol at disputing whether Arsenal are a top team. There are about 5 clubs in Europe with indisputably bigger credentials

What have Arsenal ever done in Europe? Why should anyone who doesn't follow English football regard them higher than Chelsea or City?

Even someone like Ajax or Red Star Belgrade has more European pedigree than Arsenal.
Original post by Manchester United
Wall Street Valuations:

Manchester United - $3.6billion
Real Madrid - $3.44billion
Barcelona - $3.22billion

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/07/15/wall-street-says-manchester-united-most-valuable-team-in-world-after-adidas-deal/

Average Shirt Sales Per Year*:

Manchester United - 1.4 million
Real Madrid - 1.4 million
Barcelona - 1.15 million

*based on the last five years.

Source: http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/10/08/exclusive-manchester-united-and-real-madrid-top-global-shirt-sale-charts-081001/

Most Supported Football Club**

Manchester United - 354m
Barcelona - 270m
Real Madrid - 174m

Source: http://talksport.com/magazine/big-picture/2011-10-13/worlds-most-popular-football-club-revealed-man-united-liverpool-arsenal-barca-real-or-chelsea?p=12

**Research by the German company SPORT+MARKT has revealed an estimation of how many supporters each club has around the world. A sample of 1,000 people from 34 countries.

Too bad you're **** in the PL. You know, the thing that actually matters.
Original post by sr90
What have Arsenal ever done in Europe? Why should anyone who doesn't follow English football regard them higher than Chelsea or City?

Even someone like Ajax or Red Star Belgrade has more European pedigree than Arsenal.

The fact that people around the continent are perfectly aware that Arsenal have been one of the top 3 English clubs for nearly a century? Trust me, if you speak to a German or Dutch person for instance about English football, they know perfectly well the difference between the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal. :rolleyes:

And besides, taking European games as test matches Arsenal can point to victories over Barcelona, Real(at the Bernabeu), AC Milan(x2), Juve, Inter, Roma, Bayern, BVB, Ajax, Marseille, Lyon etc etc. 17 years of non-stop CL knokout football tends to put a club on the map. Not to mention a final appearance which we were unlucky to lose and a Cup Winners Cup. Going further back, any football historian will tell you just how famous and preeminent Chapman's Arsenal were back in the 1930s/40s.

The fact is that when people recall that Arsenal are yet to win the CL/EC, they remark how odd this is. They expect a club of Arsenal's pedigree to have at least one and this is essentially vindication of that pedigree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

lol at 5
Absolutely, it's a cracking competition from an attending fan's point of view, especially away. Weeknight jolly to a ground you haven't been to before and probably won't go to again, big allocations, no (less) hurt if you go out, getting to watch your new blood.

It's a close call as coming 4th has much longer term implications, but I'd rather win the LC than come 4th. It's a trophy. 4th place is not. Clubs exist to win stuff.

The only thing I'm slightly pissed off about is my club charging me £25 to get in last night.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
The fact that people around the continent are perfectly aware that Arsenal have been one of the top 3 English clubs for nearly a century? Trust me, if you speak to a German or Dutch person for instance about English football, they know perfectly well the difference between the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal. :rolleyes:

And besides, taking European games as test matches Arsenal can point to victories over Barcelona, Real(at the Bernabeu), AC Milan(x2), Juve, Inter, Roma, Bayern, BVB, Ajax, Marseille, Lyon etc etc. 17 years of non-stop CL knokout football tends to put a club on the map. Not to mention a final appearance which we were unlucky to lose and a Cup Winners Cup. Going further back, any football historian will tell you just how famous and preeminent Chapman's Arsenal were back in the 1930s/40s.

The fact is that when people recall that Arsenal are yet to win the CL/EC, they remark how odd this is. They expect a club of Arsenal's pedigree to have at least one and this is essentially vindication of that pedigree.

Agreed. Even as far as Brazil, the English shirts you see the most are Chelsea, United and Arsenal. Liverpool are also well-known although not particularly popular. These are the English teams seen as "big/successful/known" clubs over here.

Granted, Chelsea are the most popular due to their recent success and their Brazilian contingent.

Quick Reply

Latest