Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you value the capital one cup? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy if we won the league cup of course, a trophy is a trophy. But I'm not bothered when we go out. It's a good cup for youngsters and fringe players.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zürich)
    And besides, taking European games as test matches Arsenal can point to victories over Barcelona, Real(at the Bernabeu), AC Milan(x2), Juve, Inter, Roma, Bayern, BVB, Ajax, Marseille, Lyon etc etc. 17 years of non-stop CL knokout football tends to put a club on the map. Not to mention a final appearance which we were unlucky to lose and a Cup Winners Cup. Going further back, any football historian will tell you just how famous and preeminent Chapman's Arsenal were back in the 1930s/40s. .
    It's not 17 years, because I remember one year where Arsenal fell down to the UEFA Cup and lost a penalty shootout to Galatasaray. I was about 10 years old at the time so it must have been 2000 or 2001. Even so, Arsenal may reach the last 16 every year but what have they done in that time? Reaching one final in the 60 year history of the competition isn't anything special. Chelsea reached two finals in 4 years and make the semis virtually every year. They've also beaten most, if not all of the teams you've mentioned.

Arsenal have the better history domestically, i'm not disputing that, but Chelsea have done much better in Europe. As you mention the Cup Winners Cup, Chelsea have won that more times than Arsenal have too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's not 17 years, because I remember one year where Arsenal fell down to the UEFA Cup and lost a penalty shootout to Galatasaray. I was about 10 years old at the time so it must have been 2000 or 2001. Even so, Arsenal may reach the last 16 every year but what have they done in that time? Reaching one final in the 60 year history of the competition isn't anything special. Chelsea reached two finals in 4 years and make the semis virtually every year. They've also beaten most, if not all of the teams you've mentioned.

Arsenal have the better history domestically, i'm not disputing that, but Chelsea have done much better in Europe. As you mention the Cup Winners Cup, Chelsea have won that more times than Arsenal have too.
    Not disputing this. Point I'm making is that when people consider Arsenal's historic under-achievement in Europe, they consider it a curiosity rather than as proof of some genuine deficiency in the club's pedigree. If you consider the genuine esteem and respect that people have for Arsenal, you wonder what reputation the club would have had we won a CL title or two.

Chelsea have landed a few cups in recent years, but end of the day they have much less in common with the historic giants of European football than Arsenal do, and for obvious reasons.

In terms of on the field results, Chelsea are not actually all that impressive if you think a bit deeper. Arsene Wenger is not a very good knock-out manager at the top level these days but Chelsea tend to just steam-roll a load of average teams before going out to similar teams that knock Arsenal out in general. Chelsea are not beating Bayern and Real Madrid every season, very far from it. Napoli and Galatasaray more like. Everyone knows 2011 was a complete and utter miracle of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    What have Arsenal ever done in Europe? Why should anyone who doesn't follow English football regard them higher than Chelsea or City?
    Or Aston Villa. Don't forget the Villa.

Even someone like Ajax or Red Star Belgrade has more European pedigree than Arsenal.
    Ajax are a proper footballing powerhouse to be fair even if it is the Dutch league. Their honours list pisses all over Arsenal's.

PSV, Feyenoord, Steaua Bucharest, Hamburger SV have all won one too.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    It's a close call as coming 4th has much longer term implications, but I'd rather win the LC than come 4th. It's a trophy. 4th place is not. Clubs exist to win stuff.
    Is my take on it as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Arsenal go on about qualifying for the Champions League in the hope that one day UEFA might let them keep one.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.