Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely hating uni at the moment. Results day didn't go too well for me, I was predicted ABB and thought I was going to get it but I got DDD which was a huge shock. I got offered a place through clearing and just accepted without really thinking about it. I only did it because I've been wanting to move out for so long and I had to seize the opportunity. I've been here a week and its awful. I have nothing in common with my flatmates, they're so rude and cocky and I feel like such an outsider. If I'm in the kitchen with them I'll talk to them but they always respond like they don't want to talk to me. Its freshers week at the moment, I've been on some nights out but they were awful and people who I've never met kept saying I looked ugly and kept laughing at me, I felt so self concious and its made me not want to go out at all. My course has started and I don't like it at all. I'm not gelling with anyone and the course is not what I expected it to be. I feel so uncomfortable and I really think I've made a huge mistake and all I want to do drop out and re-take my a-levels so I can start a fresh next year :~(

ReputationRep:
    What course/uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluschia)
    What course/uni are you at?
    sheffield hallam doing journalism

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear this, there are things you could do to improve your time there such as joining societies to make new friends, taking up a part time job etc. but if you're fundamentally unhappy then of course you could drop out this year and resit your A level exams at the end of the year.
    Hope it works out for you

ReputationRep:
    What would be the point of re taking a levels though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2en1)
    What would be the point of re taking a levels though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To get better grades and get onto the course/into the uni they actually wanna go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katy7133)
    sheffield hallam doing journalism
    Can you go back to your sixth form/college to retake them? If you're really not enjoying uni there really is no point in staying and wasting your time

ReputationRep:
    May be seen as an arrogant view but I would say most non-russel group unis are a complete waste of time. Particularly one that will let you in with DDD. Drop out before you regret it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in Halls of residence and not getting on with your flatmates, you might be able to ask your Uni to move you. I went to Hallam and a few of my friends were able to move.

If you're not happy with the course, think about the reasons why and what can be done. It's still early days, you might need to give it more of a chance to get going. Or if you can't see it getting better, you might be able to switch to another course (as long as you do it quickly).

As the others have said, Fresher's week is full of clubs and societies. There must be something you're interested in and that will help you find people you have something in common with.

ThePrimeMover: Yes your post is arrogant. Unless you've researched every non RG uni in the country and personally tracked the careers of their graduates to compare against RG uni's, you're not in a position to make such a sweeping statement.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you feel like this, it must be so horrible for you. I'm sure in time thinks will get better but remember it's your money and is something your paying for so make sure your happy because that's what it is important

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't understand how you can get from being predicted ABB to achieving DDD, so you might be disappointed again this year if you do decide to drop out and do your exams again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePrimeMover)
    May be seen as an arrogant view but I would say most non-russel group unis are a complete waste of time.
    It's funny that most of the people on here who are so far up the Russell group unis arses can't even spell it

ReputationRep:
    Ahh. ..I'd do a fast track btec/diploma get a distinction/d* and go onto a Russell group uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im at sheffield hallam also doing event management! had my induction today and the course sounded rubbish! im giving it another two weeks and if i dont like it im going to drop out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceFleming)
    Hey, im at sheffield hallam also doing event management! had my induction today and the course sounded rubbish!
    Did you not check the modules beforehand? Or were they just different to what was advertised?

ReputationRep:
    If you genuinely don't think there is any hope in you liking the course and whole experience, go with your gut instinct! If you're going to absolutely despise it, perhaps you would be better off going to college and getting higher A-Level grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackened_sky)
    Did you not check the modules beforehand? Or were they just different to what was advertised?
    yeah i researched properly before i came, i was just sat there and it didnt excite me, i just think im one of those people who aren't meant to be at uni. Its not for me, i hated college and college coursework, so i dont really know why i thought uni was a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe take a year out and do an apprenticeship in your field.

Russell group universities are good generally but what every student should aim for is the best university for their particular course and I'm afraid Russell group unis aren't always top of the class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet, but definitely ask if you can move flats and report those who have been bullying you. It's not fair that they should make you feel inferior and bad within the first week of uni.
    If they let you move then wait a week in the new place - if you can stand it. If not, get in contact with a local college back home and see if you can take an Access to higher education course, or the art foundation, depending on what you want to do at uni.
    If you can drop out quickly then you may have to wait a year, if so spend the time working and improving your study techniques. Either by sorting out the Access to HE course and finding out what is on the course and reading into the subject before hand or maybe do something that will look good on your application like volunteer work. Also, definitely find pick some unis you like the sound of and go visit them before hand. Don't just pick one at random, you need to find one that suits you and feels right.

But definitely get this all sorted out as soon as possible, don't feel like you have to stay there for the sake of a degree. As people have said any uni that's accepted you with DDD probably isn't going to be the greatest in terms of experience.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceFleming)
    yeah i researched properly before i came, i was just sat there and it didnt excite me, i just think im one of those people who aren't meant to be at uni. Its not for me, i hated college and college coursework, so i dont really know why i thought uni was a good idea.
    I'm afraid that I think you've made a mistake.

If you ask me, the definition of a Mickey Mouse degree is not related to employability or difficulty - but simply whether or not the subject matter has any place being taught at university in the first place. For example, a degree in Cookery would be a nonsense as it's not a subject that has any place at university. Is Cooking an honourable profession? Is it difficult, can it be rewarding? Yes - to all of those, but it should be taught in a catering school or college.

Event Management sounds like just such a subject. At some extremely high level, it might be a postgrad or professional qualification for security or engineering or safety professionals - but as an undergrad subject it's clearly nonsense - most starter job are likely to involve setting out chairs, giving out flyers and telling lies about how good something is going to be.

If you don't want to stick with it, it's early days - explore the possibility of changing courses so that the year isn't a bust.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.