Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students recruited through clearing unfit for uni? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Universities are still recruiting through clearing, even though the academic year has started for most Universities.

But the sheer scale of late recruitment will prompt concerns that some students may be admitted despite being unfit for the academic demands of their course.
    Do you think there's any truth to this?

According to the Telegraph, some universities are also operating a 'two-tier' system by closing entry for UK students but leaving them open for those outside the EU because they can charge much higher fees.

Birmingham, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Essex were among those with large numbers of vacancies through UCAS exclusively for foreign students.

ReputationRep:
    More fool the university if they take unfit students. If they truly are unfit, they'll drop out, which will ruin their retention figures (something that HEFCE et al monitor fairly closely) which looks dreadful.

Students who come through Clearing at this time of year are highly unlikely to be British school leavers with crap A Level grades - they could have rung around every uni in the country 16 times in the time they've had since results day. They'll be students who are only now making the decision to go - international students and mature students. However, only just having made the decision to go to uni thus year does not make you unfit for study.

It should also be noted that even amongst British school leavers with high A2 grades, relatively few will actually graduate from that same course that they got into via Clearing, though concrete figures are sparse. It's a time of high stress, panic, pressure and snap, life changing decisions based on naff all research. It's unsurprising that even students with AAA often end up dropping out of uni when they go through Clearing, especially when they are doing everything in a matter of hours on Results Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know people who went through clearing and got firsts.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I know people who went through clearing and got firsts.
    So do I - I wonder what the data is on that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    So do I - I wonder what the data is on that?
    A very good question. You've intrigued me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.