Students recruited through clearing unfit for uni?

Watch
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Universities are still recruiting through clearing, even though the academic year has started for most Universities.

But the sheer scale of late recruitment will prompt concerns that some students may be admitted despite being unfit for the academic demands of their course.
Do you think there's any truth to this?

According to the Telegraph, some universities are also operating a 'two-tier' system by closing entry for UK students but leaving them open for those outside the EU because they can charge much higher fees.

Birmingham, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Essex were among those with large numbers of vacancies through UCAS exclusively for foreign students.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More fool the university if they take unfit students. If they truly are unfit, they'll drop out, which will ruin their retention figures (something that HEFCE et al monitor fairly closely) which looks dreadful.

Students who come through Clearing at this time of year are highly unlikely to be British school leavers with crap A Level grades - they could have rung around every uni in the country 16 times in the time they've had since results day. They'll be students who are only now making the decision to go - international students and mature students. However, only just having made the decision to go to uni thus year does not make you unfit for study.

It should also be noted that even amongst British school leavers with high A2 grades, relatively few will actually graduate from that same course that they got into via Clearing, though concrete figures are sparse. It's a time of high stress, panic, pressure and snap, life changing decisions based on naff all research. It's unsurprising that even students with AAA often end up dropping out of uni when they go through Clearing, especially when they are doing everything in a matter of hours on Results Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know people who went through clearing and got firsts.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
I know people who went through clearing and got firsts.
So do I - I wonder what the data is on that?
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
So do I - I wonder what the data is on that?
A very good question. You've intrigued me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads