14.29%
    Maybe
    28.57%

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    All schools in Brighton and Hove other than one Catholic School have signed up to the NHS initiative which includes students choosing to take a chlamydia test during lessons to "demystify" taking an STI test.

According to the Telegraph "more than 200,000 people a year test positive for the infection in England, with 64% of diagnoses among those under 25 years old."

One parent subsequently complained that her daughter felt uncomfortable, refusing the test and that parents should be informed beforehand because such an act could be humiliating for the parents.

Information provided by the NHS 2 years ago states that students under the age of 16s can only be offered STI tests without parental knowledge if children cannot be persuaded to tell their parents.

You can read the Telegraph article here

Do you think taking this type of test as part of a sex education lesson will make young people feel less uncomfortable doing this in future years?

Do you think it's a good idea? Does it debunk the stigma of taking a STI test?

Would you take one at school?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a good idea but just not in the school toilets... somewhere private perhaps but not the loo
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    All schools in Brighton and Hove other than one Catholic School have signed up to the NHS initiative which includes students choosing to take a chlamydia test during lessons to "demystify" taking an STI test.

According to the Telegraph "more than 200,000 people a year test positive for the infection in England, with 64% of diagnoses among those under 25 years old."

One parent subsequently complained that her daughter felt uncomfortable, refusing the test and that parents should be informed beforehand because such an act could be humiliating for the parents.

Information provided by the NHS 2 years ago states that students under the age of 16s can only be offered STI tests without parental knowledge if children cannot be persuaded to tell their parents.

You can read the Telegraph article here

Do you think taking this type of test as part of a sex education lesson will make young people feel less uncomfortable doing this in future years?

Do you think it's a good idea? Does it debunk the stigma of taking a STI test?

Would you take one at school?
    I think the idea is good - but asking a 15/16 year old to go do a self-swab in the toilets is pretty insensitive. :confused: Couldn't they set up a temporary clinic there in order to demystify it...?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I think the idea is good - but asking a 15/16 year old to go do a self-swab in the toilets is pretty insensitive. :confused: Couldn't they set up a temporary clinic there in order to demystify it...?
    I agree, school toilets aren't pleasant at the best of times. There should be a private space that is designated temporarily for this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't you just piss in a pot? What's the issue?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Don't you just piss in a pot? What's the issue?
    No, for chlamydia it's a swab so not quite as simple as that unfortunately.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, for chlamydia it's a swab so not quite as simple as that unfortunately.
    Yuck. Didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    We had these people come in to our sixth form, where you could do a sample in the loo's and give it to them with your phone number, and they would text the result for whether you had chlamydia. Was very popular actually, even more so for the fact you got free underwear
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    In the SCHOOL toilets? No. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Paralove)
    We had these people come in to our sixth form, where you could do a sample in the loo's and give it to them with your phone number, and they would text the result for whether you had chlamydia. Was very popular actually, even more so for the fact you got free underwear
    You're not a "real" student if you don't like a freebie

That sounds like a good initiative - I think normalising it as a "process" is a really good idea. Especially if everyone is doing it together. I think a lot of people are really put off by the thought of going to an STI clinic for a test specifically.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    In the SCHOOL toilets? No. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty grim eh!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Paralove)
    ...was this the underwear they were handing out?

ReputationRep:
    Yuck. Didn't know that.
    It's not a swab. It's a pisspot like you said. I've done one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Erm...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Erm...
    It can be either a swab or a urine sample. Possibly more common to have a swab if you're female.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Erm...
    Sorry - it can be either....

In the ones that you pick up from the Drs surgery it is generally a self-swab kit.

At least you're prepared now

ReputationRep:
    Erm...
    Long time ago, and not for any reason... They were handing them out by a football ground, and it was completely free....

Just a routine thing really.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a "real" student if you don't like a freebie

That sounds like a good initiative - I think normalising it as a "process" is a really good idea. Especially if everyone is doing it together. I think a lot of people are really put off by the thought of going to an STI clinic for a test specifically.
    Hahaha true It was really good and was a great way of making sure that people did get tested, removing the fear of getting tested. I never did it as at the time, I wasn't sexually active, but I would say about 70% of the year did so!

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    ...was this the underwear they were handing out?

Funny, but no.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.