The Student Room Group

Queens and UU Social work applicants 2015

Hi, I wanted to start a thread for anyone applying for social work this year both the 5,3 and 2 year courses at queens and ulster because i know its a daunting experience and i read a thread last year and they were helping each other out a lot. i hope this helps people, i know from experience how nerve wrecking this process can be

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently in the process of writing my personal statement for these universities! Thanks for starting the new thread :smile:
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm applying for the 2 and 3 year routes to both Queens and BMC/Magee

Does anyone know if the 2 year route is 1st year BMC and 2nd year Magee, or both years at Magee?

Thanks in advance!!

Also what age is everyone on here?? I'm feeling very old at 36!!!
Reply 3
I'm currently 1st year at BMC and we don't have any 2 year students on our course so would presume both years at Magee :smile:
Original post by EmmaPanic
I'm currently 1st year at BMC and we don't have any 2 year students on our course so would presume both years at Magee :smile:

Thankyou Emma! Are you enjoying the course so far? Did you find the application process straight forward?
Original post by Twenty3Eight
I'm currently in the process of writing my personal statement for these universities! Thanks for starting the new thread :smile:

Hi, what is the personal statement? Is there question? Im going to apply for nursing too, are you applying for other courses? Just don't want to put my eggs on one basket
Reply 6
No problem :smile: am loving the course but it's definitely hard work!! Application process isn't too bad but I had applied before so was used to it. Wouldn't advise applying for nursing and social work as both courses look for commitment and personal statement would have to be too vague. Would definitely advise BMC too so glad I chose it :smile:
Reply 7
i just finished my personal statement, it was so hard to condence everything, im applying for the 2 year grad route for queens and magee and the three year routes at queens magee and bmc too. i just want to do this so much, this year out is killing me lol. Hope everyones getting on ok with their personal statement :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by waveydavey!
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm applying for the 2 and 3 year routes to both Queens and BMC/Magee

Does anyone know if the 2 year route is 1st year BMC and 2nd year Magee, or both years at Magee?

Thanks in advance!!

Also what age is everyone on here?? I'm feeling very old at 36!!!

Hi wavey davey, we're applying to all the same courses! Im 21 but i defo think being older will definitely benefit you in the process. dont let age put you off, i know so many people who wished theyd gone for social work and didnt and now regret it
Reply 9
Original post by Twenty3Eight

youre welcome, im sure we can all use some encourgaement and its always nice to have people who can relate and support, its what we do best. how are you getting on with your statement? i just finished mine and it was so difficult to cut things out but i realised i was repeating myself a bit so i just cut that out :smile:
Ok! Im on to the ucas personal statement! Decided to apply for only social work. Is the personal statement where you put your voluntary experience too?
Reply 11
Original post by waveydavey!
Ok! Im on to the ucas personal statement! Decided to apply for only social work. Is the personal statement where you put your voluntary experience too?

yea you put all your experience in the first personal statement
Original post by annad93
yea you put all your experience in the first personal statement

Thank you. Im freakin out about the statement. Its trying to condense it all. Im not sure about applying for the 2 year route as travelling to derry for 2 years is so far for me. Will take 1h 30 mins!
The 3 year route at BMC or SWC you will have to travel to Magee for the 3rd year. Though it works out at something like 34 days you are in that year so not too bad
Original post by EmmaPanic
The 3 year route at BMC or SWC you will have to travel to Magee for the 3rd year. Though it works out at something like 34 days you are in that year so not too bad

Thanks! I wonder how many days in Magee uni and out on placement if i get into 2 year route?
I assume it's same as 3 year, 80ish in your first year and 100 in second?
Reply 16
I know how you feel about condensing it all its a nightmare :/ ive had to cut loads out because i was going over the character limit, its so annoying
Reply 17
hi wendy, I'm first yr student and there are plenty of us mature students - majority are late 20's but large number of 36 to 50!
Reply 18
Hey guys

I've applied also for queens and ulster the 3 and 2 year routes! I nearly got in two years ago and am in my final year of Early Childhood Studies now so wanted to apply again, but so nervous!

Got a letter today asking if I wanted to share details between Queens and Ulster, but I am not sure whether I should as it means you just get one interview, and if you frig up, maybe its better not to share info?

Has anyone else any advice as other people have told me not to share details so you get two interviews?
Reply 19
Original post by mmq02
Hey guys

I've applied also for queens and ulster the 3 and 2 year routes! I nearly got in two years ago and am in my final year of Early Childhood Studies now so wanted to apply again, but so nervous!

Got a letter today asking if I wanted to share details between Queens and Ulster, but I am not sure whether I should as it means you just get one interview, and if you frig up, maybe its better not to share info?

Has anyone else any advice as other people have told me not to share details so you get two interviews?

Hey mmq02

I got my letters of sharing info there too and I honestly couldn't take it off work to go to magee for an interview so I said to share my information. I'm kinda taking it all as it comes because either way theres no guarantee and all we can do is our best. Do what you feel is best for you :smile:

I got my 600 word statement from queens this morning too, have you heard back at all? I got my share info letter on xmas eve and sent it off just after xmas and was panicking thinking it was gonna get lost haha I only got the share info from magee today aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest