Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrea33)
    Jen I feel exactly the same, il be 34 in oct an only just graduated summer past, I spent the last 15yrs being a mammy to my 3 children so I know how u feel. However, when I applied 5yrs ago I was no where near confident enough to imagine being a social worker but now I'm ready, iv also been a youth ans community worker the past 5 years which I didn't even get to mention in interview altho it was on my personal statement. To be honest I felt a bit rushed in interview and kicked myself when I got out as to not just throwing all the info in lol...I think your age is perfect for sw as your a mature parent wit life experiences u can empathise with alot of people!!
    It's really nice to know similar ppl applying. I keep thinking about the age thing but as some ppl say to me u don't retire til ur 65 or more so that's still a very long time left to work. My friend done uni etc straight after school and went straight into teaching and had her first baby last year at 31 so she's given up her career now to be a mum. So I guess age doesn't really matter it's just whatever way round people do it lol. Sounds like u have good experience anyway and also mother of 3 says a lot. Least u have it all In ur personal statement. Woukd be so much easier if they had just given us the questions and we could write down the answers interviews are my downfall

ReputationRep:
    Lol funny thats what I said to my husband, I could have wrote a book lol this has only been my 2nd ever interview the 1st being sw 5yrs ago lol so I have no experience of them atal. I'm happy that I had my kids young as now I can focus on a career instead of only just starting a family defs think I did it the right way about lol our life is only just beginning an you can have your career now for the next 30odd yrs!! This is our time an I really hope we get it x

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, sorry only getting back to u all now. I have rang for feedback but no word yet. Disappointing but I am still waiting to hear back from queens so fingers crossed Although not building my hopes up. Yes this is my first time applying. Queens told me that it's 1 in 10 people who get in which is crazy....

ReputationRep:
    1 in 10 that is crazy it seems we all feel disappointed to how the interview went!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Andrea33;54889189]Lol funny thats what I said to my husband, I could have wrote a book lol this has only been my 2nd ever interview the 1st being sw 5yrs ago lol so I have no experience of them atal. I'm happy that I had my kids young as now I can focus on a career instead of only just starting a family defs think I did it the right way about lol our life is only just beginning an you can have your career now for the next 30odd yrs!! This is our time an I really hope we get it x[/QUOT

Same here Andrea I would have been much more confident writing it all down. Nerves are awful I could feel myself silently panicking. Although they were both lovely I had to keep saying sorry as I was staring at walls and trying to remember everything. But ur right. This is our time. We aren't giving up !!! Lol. And hats off for completing a degree with 3 kids !y daughter is 9 but I had my son last year 6 weeks before my final exams and I thought that was challenging.but it proves we can do it. I only applied for queens because uu would be too far away but reading this it seems Belfast met offer it too so will try both next year )

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on the birth of ur son an fair play to u for sticking with it an doing ur exams so soon aftr his birth thats dedication! ! Its definitely hard work, but we got there thru all the tears an tantrums lol an raring a family. Im goni apply next year again if I don't get in this year I'm not giving up, only next yr I think il go to interview practice lol x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many got interviewed? And how many places they are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrea33)
    Congratulations on the birth of ur son an fair play to u for sticking with it an doing ur exams so soon aftr his birth thats dedication! ! Its definitely hard work, but we got there thru all the tears an tantrums lol an raring a family. Im goni apply next year again if I don't get in this year I'm not giving up, only next yr I think il go to interview practice lol x

Lol same here Interviews area weakness. 😪😪 thank u 😊 it's def not easy juggling it all but either way least we have tried. Xx

ReputationRep:
    I will be 40 by the time I graduate from social work if I get in. I had my kids young too but I graduated from my first degree 15 years ago. I went into a very different career after graduation and then after a series of life events realised social work was for me! Never too old to start new things. X xxx Keep positive.

My interview in Feb was exactly the same and I haven't heard anything yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waveydavey!)
    I will be 40 by the time I graduate from social work if I get in. I had my kids young too but I graduated from my first degree 15 years ago. I went into a very different career after graduation and then after a series of life events realised social work was for me! Never too old to start new things. X xxx Keep positive.

My interview in Feb was exactly the same and I haven't heard anything yet!!
    Glad to hear of everyone's stories and def makes me feel more positive. Think I just got myself paranoid that I'd left it all too late because I don't know anyone in similar situation but good that we all have that in common. X

ReputationRep:
    I think the majority of people that apply and get a place are older as they have more significant life experience that is needed to work as a social worker! My tutor at tech told me a school leaver would have to be pretty special to get in from school. I'm almost 28 myself x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicoh88)
    I think the majority of people that apply and get a place are older as they have more significant life experience that is needed to work as a social worker! My tutor at tech told me a school leaver would have to be pretty special to get in from school. I'm almost 28 myself x
    I'm 17, and I don't understand what you mean? The course isn't specifically aimed at mature students so I don't see what you are getting at.. Plus the course doesn't discriminate against any age, it is open to everyone and by saying mature students have more life experience, so can younger students? That's like saying they can pick younger students because they have the skills and knowledge freshly in their minds which isn't true as the course is open to all ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran10)
    I'm 17, and I don't understand what you mean? The course isn't specifically aimed at mature students so I don't see what you are getting at.. Plus the course doesn't discriminate against any age, it is open to everyone and by saying mature students have more life experience, so can younger students? That's like saying they can pick younger students because they have the skills and knowledge freshly in their minds which isn't true as the course is open to all ages.
    That's just my opinion fran. Those in their 20's,30's,40's will have work experience that a 17 year old in school couldn't possibly have with school commitments. I don't mean to offend and it was my tutor that made the above comment not me. Obviously u feel that u have the experience etc or you wouldn't have applied and I wish you the best

ReputationRep:
    I also was told by previous tutors that mature students with life experiences have a better chance at social work, but good luck fran you have just as much chance as the rest of us i think it may have been that way years back but they cant discriminate because of age. Hope we all get in as reading this forum its obvious everyone wants it ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahrb)
    I also was told by previous tutors that mature students with life experiences have a better chance at social work, but good luck fran you have just as much chance as the rest of us i think it may have been that way years back but they cant discriminate because of age. Hope we all get in as reading this forum its obvious everyone wants it ☺
    Exactly, I have encountered many life and personal experiences in my past which have led me to being so passionate about becoming a social worker, so now all I can do is wait and hope, and wish everyone in this forum the very best

ReputationRep:
    Fran I'm in the same boat. I'm 18 only turned and when i applied for SW alot of people were really doubtful and skeptical of my choice because it is more popular with mature students, but i didnt let that stop me. I have gained alot of experience from personal life and through work experiences and volunteering. Last time i was in queens i asked about the odds of school leavers getting in and the lecturer told me there is only 8 school leavers places and for a school leaver it is harder to get it because of the lack of experience but we can still do it if we can prove we're right for the course

ReputationRep:
    I think it's hard for anyone regardless of age to be honest. Obviously mature students like myself I'm 28 and have a lot of life experiences but I don't have many work experiences whereas a younger student might but feel more ready at this age everyone is different I guess. I was readin a similar thread and someone applied for sw and had years worth ofrelevant work and life experiences as long as my arm and they got rejected . It's just so competitive but everyone who gets to interview has something that has impressed the universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheltwells)
    Fran I'm in the same boat. I'm 18 only turned and when i applied for SW alot of people were really doubtful and skeptical of my choice because it is more popular with mature students, but i didnt let that stop me. I have gained alot of experience from personal life and through work experiences and volunteering. Last time i was in queens i asked about the odds of school leavers getting in and the lecturer told me there is only 8 school leavers places and for a school leaver it is harder to get it because of the lack of experience but we can still do it if we can prove we're right for the course
    Only 8 places? My aunty is the manager in the social department and also has been interviewing people for years however she hasnt done it the last year because she recently just had a baby, but she basically said it all depends on scores, and they only take into account how your performed at the interview along will skills/experience etc, did the people interviewing tell you there was only 8 places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran10)
    Only 8 places? My aunty is the manager in the social department and also has been interviewing people for years however she hasnt done it the last year because she recently just had a baby, but she basically said it all depends on scores, and they only take into account how your performed at the interview along will skills/experience etc, did the people interviewing tell you there was only 8 places?
    naww it was ones at one of the open days, i had my interview in UU for both queens and magee and they didnt know the figures or nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheltwells)
    naww it was ones at one of the open days, i had my interview in UU for both queens and magee and they didnt know the figures or nothing
    Yeah I just fail to believe they can just give out a little amount of places to younger students, they aren't aloud to discriminate because of age. I applied for Magee and queens as well, when do you have your interview?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2016

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.