Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm doing my personal statement for microbiology and was wondering whether to mention about work experience. Now, they're not directly related to my course, as I have had work experience at a Dentistry, Opticians and at Lloyds Banking Group. Now I know I can mention the usual skills that I've learnt, but I was wondering if I could mention the fact that I had learnt the effect microorganisms have had on the way a Dentistry is run, e.g. sterilization, cleanliness etc. Also, I did a Microbiology workshop at Aston University with my school, and I was wondering whether I should mention the uni by name, as I will be applying to others including UoB and Warwick.
    Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Tbh I would say that the first two open you up to being (internally by the admissions tutors, not necessarily to yourself!) questioned, as it would suggest that you wanted to do dentistry/optometry. For academic courses you don't need to talk about skills that you've gained and you can talk about microbiology in other ways. The best ways would be to discuss reading/lectures you've read/seen (and any other media you might have used)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Tbh I would say that the first two open you up to being (internally by the admissions tutors, not necessarily to yourself!) questioned, as it would suggest that you wanted to do dentistry/optometry. For academic courses you don't need to talk about skills that you've gained and you can talk about microbiology in other ways. The best ways would be to discuss reading/lectures you've read/seen (and any other media you might have used)
    Thanks! So should I mention that I did a microbiology workshop at aston uni when in year 11? And should i mention skills that would be useful in a lab that i have learnt?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thequackingduck)
    Thanks! So should I mention that I did a microbiology workshop at aston uni when in year 11? And should i mention skills that would be useful in a lab that i have learnt?
    You could mention it, altho more recent experience would be better to mention. Even if you are applying for Oxbridge, there is still time to read an article or two (ask your teachers/check in the library for journals aimed at college students, or search for free online lectures) and mention your interest in those.

Given that the vast majority of students will be studying biology (and quite possibly chemistry), basically everyone will have lab skills, so it won't really make you any different. You could always talk about an experiment that was particularly interesting (and relevant to microbiology!) which would do this implicitly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You could mention it, altho more recent experience would be better to mention. Even if you are applying for Oxbridge, there is still time to read an article or two (ask your teachers/check in the library for journals aimed at college students, or search for free online lectures) and mention your interest in those.

Given that the vast majority of students will be studying biology (and quite possibly chemistry), basically everyone will have lab skills, so it won't really make you any different. You could always talk about an experiment that was particularly interesting (and relevant to microbiology!) which would do this implicitly
    Thanks a lot!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.