Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey. so i don't know if i should take photography for a-level or not:confused:. i've looked on the college website that i would be applying to, but they don't really help ://. it would be great if you could tell me what you guys do for photography in a-levels and if you like it or not?? it would be much appreciated! thankyouu so much if you do!

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year at AS. I HATED it. Seriously absolutely KILLED my passion for the subject. Unless you want to study it at uni it is completely pointless. It's not regarded as a 'preferred' subject at most unis (But can be used to apply two preferred). If you think it is easy, think again. I did
    AS English Language
    AS Business Studies
    AS Media Studies
    AS Photography.

Photography was the most work, the one I spent the most time and energy on, and ultimately the one I got the worst grade in. (Got AABC at AS, the B to go up to an A after coursework remark hopefully. But photography sucks and stays at a C)

It is completely subjective, and honestly, you could learn more off DeviantArt in a day about photography than you learn in a year of the course. You don't just take photos of 'whatever you want' and I learnt 0 editing skills (learnt them in media studies and in my spare time)

Would I recommend it to a friend? Certainly not. But guess it is up to the individual

ReputationRep:
    I also did photography at A level and I couldn't stand it. Again, just like Easy, it killed my passion for photography. I'm very much a technical photographer - largely landscape and architecture. A level photography for me was just one long drag through pretentious artistic hell:

"Take a photo of this antique spoon. Now spend three weeks writing about it, what it means emotionally, and how it symbolises society. Now overlay this coconut and spend another three weeks writing about why it's a metaphor for the development of feminist ideology in 21st Century Arabia."

Don't bother about it if you want photography to have any part in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I did it last year at AS. I HATED it. Seriously absolutely KILLED my passion for the subject. Unless you want to study it at uni it is completely pointless. It's not regarded as a 'preferred' subject at most unis (But can be used to apply two preferred). If you think it is easy, think again. I did
    AS English Language
    AS Business Studies
    AS Media Studies
    AS Photography.

Photography was the most work, the one I spent the most time and energy on, and ultimately the one I got the worst grade in. (Got AABC at AS, the B to go up to an A after coursework remark hopefully. But photography sucks and stays at a C)

It is completely subjective, and honestly, you could learn more off DeviantArt in a day about photography than you learn in a year of the course. You don't just take photos of 'whatever you want' and I learnt 0 editing skills (learnt them in media studies and in my spare time)

Would I recommend it to a friend? Certainly not. But guess it is up to the individual
    thankyou so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I also did photography at A level and I couldn't stand it. Again, just like Easy, it killed my passion for photography. I'm very much a technical photographer - largely landscape and architecture. A level photography for me was just one long drag through pretentious artistic hell:

"Take a photo of this antique spoon. Now spend three weeks writing about it, what it means emotionally, and how it symbolises society. Now overlay this coconut and spend another three weeks writing about why it's a metaphor for the development of feminist ideology in 21st Century Arabia."

thankyou! don't think i will be taking it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhlux)
    thankyou! don't think i will be taking it then
    God I wish I'd made this thread before I started my a levels

ReputationRep:
    "Take a photo of this antique spoon. Now spend three weeks writing about it, what it means emotionally, and how it symbolises society. Now overlay this coconut and spend another three weeks writing about why it's a metaphor for the development of feminist ideology in 21st Century Arabia."[/I]
    You have no idea how hard I laughed, that sums it up completely. Along with "But why have you taken that photo, what are you symbolising by colour splashing that woman's umbrella? Does it represent how little light she has in her life?"

What I learnt in photography:
    How to BS :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhlux)
    hey. so i don't know if i should take photography for a-level or not:confused:. i've looked on the college website that i would be applying to, but they don't really help ://. it would be great if you could tell me what you guys do for photography in a-levels and if you like it or not?? it would be much appreciated! thankyouu so much if you do!

(Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    You have no idea how hard I laughed, that sums it up completely. Along with "But why have you taken that photo, what are you symbolising by colour splashing that woman's umbrella? Does it represent how little light she has in her life?"

What I learnt in photography:
    How to BS :/
    FML I was considering taking Photography as my September2017 A-levels. Not anymore!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhlux)
    I'm currently in my second year of the Photography A-Level, and personally, I love it. You usually spend a bit of time at the start of your first year learning about technical elements such as shooting film ,using a darkroom (if this facility is available at your chosen college), using Photoshop and Lightroom, and learning how to understand basic camera control and setups on location and in a studio setting. Then, you can start with your own projects under a certain theme, interpreting it in your own way and responding to it by researching into a range of practising photographers and artists to inform the style of your work. As long as you keep up with the amount of work by picking away at it a few nights a week or during your free periods, then it isn't a slog at the end to meet deadlines. I love it, as its given me the choice to learn more about historical practices, and to investigate and explore different genres of photography. I currently study A2 Business Studies and A2 Media Studies alongside it, and find that the media theory also helped when writing up evaluations and analysing your research in the Photography course.
    Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Definitely avoid... You'll find yourself spending far too much time on Photography, and it seriously won't be worth it. I dropped it after I was 2 months in and I'm extremely glad I did. Please do not put yourself through the stress and bs of Photography, you will most certainly regret it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.