Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Start of Medicine Personal Statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need a bit of help please.

Should the start of my personal statement explain why I want to do Medicine or what got me interested in Medicine, or both.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's motivation for medicine which is basically both those things. Doesn't have to conform to that though, just make it something punchy and interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    Generally it's motivation for medicine which is basically both those things. Doesn't have to conform to that though, just make it something punchy and interesting.
    Would it be okay if I missed out one of those factors and talk only only about why I want to do Medicine? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The most important thing is the WHY - you don't have to say (pretend?) that you have wanted to be a doctor from the age of 5 when you played with dolls for example! Make it relevant to you now, and avoid cliches like 'From a young age...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ΘTheta)
    Would it be okay if I missed out one of those factors and talk only only about why I want to do Medicine? Thanks
    Motivation for medicine (why you want to do it) and what got you interested are practically the same thing. So yeah, it's fine
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There is a reason that questions aren't common in PSs. That reason is that they generally add nothing and make the writer appear arrogant. Admissions staff generally dislike questions.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...-not-to-put-in
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've put this thread back on track. Please keep this on topic for OP.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ΘTheta)
    Hi guys, I need a bit of help please.

Should the start of my personal statement explain why I want to do Medicine or what got me interested in Medicine, or both.

Thanks guys!
    What others said - say why you want to do medicine. Then link this to your next paragraph on what you have done to realise you wanted to do it through work experience. That should form the basis!

UCL Medical Student
    Always happy to answer questions!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.