Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Regardless of any school's 'internal deadline (some of which are barkingly early for non-Oxbridge applicants), it is you who pushes that final button, not the school.

If any non-Oxbridge or Medicine applicant wants to sit on their application right up to the January deadline to make certain they have made the right choices, it has nothing to do with their school. Your teachers can jump up and down all they like. Its YOU, and only you, who makes this decision.
    I still think it's wise to give your teachers a bit of time to write a reference for you....

I would also note that, based on experience of two sons, some Unis appear to wait until after the deadline until they look at applications, I suspect becuase they have set a quota for how many offers to make. Also - I have a realtive whose school advised non-Oxbridge candidates to submit AFTER the Oxbridge deadline to make sure the other Unis knew they weren't applying to Oxbridge, in case it affected the likelihood of getting an offer. Although both my boys applied to Oxbridge, and both got offers from all their Unis, so not sure how true it is!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cheshiremum)
    Also - I have a realtive whose school advised non-Oxbridge candidates to submit AFTER the Oxbridge deadline to make sure the other Unis knew they weren't applying to Oxbridge, in case it affected the likelihood of getting an offer. Although both my boys applied to Oxbridge, and both got offers from all their Unis, so not sure how true it is!
    Not only is it not true, it is perhaps one of the biggest myths surrounding admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Not only is it not true, it is perhaps one of the biggest myths surrounding admissions.
    .... because even if we think/know someone has applied for Oxbridge WE know that the vast majority of them won't get an offer from Oxbridge anyway, therefore they will end up at one of the other Unis they've applied to. Like us.

Despite all the conspiracy theories that students come up with (and some of them truly are barking) admissions staff don't have time to weigh up any of this nonsense with the number of applications we process. We make offers on the face value of each application to strict and consistent criteria. It really is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford, so I sent my application off early. The main advantage for me of doing so was that it meant that when the going got tough with A Levels and revision for January exams and mocks that it was already out of the way. In fact I got my Southampton offer the day before the Oxford entrance exams (which in my year were the first week in November, don't know if they still are) which was great for peace of mind.

It also gives you longer to decide. I'm now at Bath and every year there are people caught out by the fact that accommodation applications open before the deadline for making firm and insurance choices and are first come first served.

ReputationRep:
    There are or should be 2 deadlines. The 1st is for Oxbridge applicants and has to be sufficiently early for teachers to prepare well written personalised reference letters. The 2nd deadline has more leeway but is limited not just by Jan 15th but also by Christmas vacation and some schools have end year A-Levels or term tests. Sure you can submit right on the dot 15 Jan but by then many would hv received some offers, exceptions are usually the very competitive ones like LSE. Like it or not it will be quite distracting to be thinking about your own offers as you are trying to concentrate on studying for June exams. So working backwards it means the second deadline has to be such that teachers have enough time to do their best for you and submit latest in Dec. With experience they probably know some will have difficulty in deciding course ir unis to apply and PS will not be up.to scratch. A seemingly early deadline tries to take all this into account. I think schools final 2nd deadline is probably mid Nov. Just an educated guess.

ReputationRep:
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with sending an application off earlier. I'm now free to concentrate on A2s/ EPQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    While, it'd be awesome to get those extra months to decide on what I'd like to do with my life and all; My sixth form head said that it does put you at a disadvantage.
    That is because the spaces for popular courses fill up more quickly. Is that true? I read the earlier posts and you guys are confusing me :P
    I understand that all applicants are supposed to be considered equally as long as they apply before deadline.
    I have my PS finished and everytthing else as well, it's just my choices that I need to decide on - I am like half way there. My head of sixth form expects us to send the applications of by the end of October.
    To be honest, I'd rather get it out of the way and focus on my studies, because some people are thinking about UCAS all day and night and kind of forgetting their studies. I cannot wait for this process to be over.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of any school's 'internal deadline (some of which are barkingly early for non-Oxbridge applicants), it is you who pushes that final button, not the school.

If any non-Oxbridge or Medicine applicant wants to sit on their application right up to the January deadline to make certain they have made the right choices, it has nothing to do with their school. Your teachers can jump up and down all they like. Its YOU, and only you, who makes this decision.
    No.... I pay and send.... and it gets sent to my school... they add the references and predicted grades and they press the final send button.

ReputationRep:
    OP, it really depends how long you've been working on it. I had my first draft done in July, and when we started school in September only had to spend another 2 or so weeks on it before it was ready. For me to have waited until 15th October to send it (Oxbridge deadline) would have been a waste of time if it was ready earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    OP, it really depends how long you've been working on it. I had my first draft done in July, and when we started school in September only had to spend another 2 or so weeks on it before it was ready. For me to have waited until 15th October to send it (Oxbridge deadline) would have been a waste of time if it was ready earlier.
    Exactly. Once it is done why wait? If it is in progress, is anything holding it back? If you are not sure what course to apply, then this must be addressed urgently as you cannot start on PS until that is put to rest. If it is which university to apply to, that can be ongoing till the minute you press the button. If it is the PS, then procrastinating will not help. You can only get it out of the way by investing time and effort. In conclusion, you can never be too early but don't leave it too late.

ReputationRep:
    ALL Universities have a practical and logistical limit on numbers for every course. There are only so many seats in a lecture hall, so many bench seats in a Lab. There are a limited number of teaching hours available from staff and a limited number of books/space in Libraries. Every course will have a realistic cap on numbers - regardless of the phrase 'uncapped places'

Perhaps you could accept that actually you haven't got a clue how a University functions and stop offering your half-baked idea here.
    I feel I must point out that PQ has long experience of how a university admissions department works, since she has been working in one to my certain knowledge for at least ten years. She was also previously a moderator in this forum, and has continued to make an invaluable contribution to it since she stepped down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I feel I must point out that PQ has long experience of how a university admissions department works, since she has been working in one to my certain knowledge for at least ten years. She was also previously a moderator in this forum, and has continued to make an invaluable contribution to it since she stepped down.
    Thank you for stepping in. Posts should be as respectful to others as they wish others to be respectful to them, whether those posts are flawed or not. Basic courtesy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.