Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the UK be federalised? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the UK should be federalised?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    33.33%
    Don't know
    16.67%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No.

Federalism is a recipe for local nationalism. Federalism is not always good (Wales has fallen back since devolution in health and education). Finally, I dont believe in creating an extra layer of beaurocracy.

Far better to devolve powers to local city assemblies like London, Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire.
    But surely that devolution to the cities is still creating an extra level of bureaucracy, except that extra level is only benefiting those cities rather than everybody
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can't find it in this thread, so I assume it was in some other thread that it was stated but is relevant here. Somebody was saying that there would be a problem because tax rates could be different in say Manchester to Leeds (the example given), but is this really a problem at all? For example, the tax rates in Calais are different to in Dover, where's the problem? If you want to go even closer together than that, tax rates are different in DC and Arlington, and they, for all intents and purposes, are touching each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No more so than the current system, so how is it that a system that is at least slightly more democratic is not a better system?
    In the current system, the smaller countries can only get their way if England itself is split down the middle. But the Union Government is by and large still tasked with concern for the Union; an English Parliament will concern itself, naturally, with England alone.

In which case you surely should be supporting either the devolution of power to England, whether it be to regions (which failed first time round in all but London, in the North East when they finally held a referendum it was a resounding no, and the other 7 regions eventually canceled).
    I actually do support devolution to English regions; it just so happens that, as you rightly point out, there is little enthusiasm for it. Some have argued that the enthusiasm would be there for regions with real power, and I am hopeful of that.

But a single English Parliament would be highly problematic for the Union.

And if you really take offense to the idea of the whole of England having it's won government, then why not regional governments? You wouldn't have this issue that offends you so, and the majority wouldn't be being, for want of a better term, discriminated against.
    See above. I'm actually in favour of them, but not an English Parliament; it's just I find the former unlikely to occur soon, and the latter constitutionally dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except, to me, it actually seems better. Surely, what you would be getting now is all that is congregating in London, and then some out to the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham etc. What you would have then is some of that being sucked into London instead going to the aforementioned cities, and then more going to the smaller towns and cities.
    Well in terms of self interest, concentrating wealth in Leeds would be great. But looking pragmatically, this will simply amplify the situation we have now and unfortunately we tend to leave town centers derelict rather than reduce their size.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.