Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Other than wanting a job.. do people actually like university studying?

Like.. I hate the whole notion of academics or academia or studying for exams. I'd rather just work god dammit

University is doing my head in and it's only freshers week..

ReputationRep:
    I worked for 23 years and am currently just starting my seventh year at uni. Work sucked and I'm dragging uni out for as long as possible.

Four or five weeks of holiday a year, Mon-Fri 6am alarms and standing at a bus stop in the rain/wind in the dark for five months a year - and that's if you're lucky. When you finish uni, this will be the next 40 or 50 years of your life and there will be no end until death or retirement.

If you think uni's doing your head in, just wait until you see what comes after that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I love studying my course.

ReputationRep:
    I love learning new things and how things work. From how authors portray their messages in English to what leads to a downfall in a country in Economics.
    Obviously I have a chosen degree but every degree is interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love the work on my course! Couldn't wait to get back into lectures for my second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly when I started looking at courses and started my degree I was really looking forward to learning all this new stuff, I just really like knowing things, and even when things got messy, I always had my books and lecture notes to delve into and shelter me from myself & the world; my kingdom of isolation! And until this year I was good at exams so they weren't a problem, exam season was like my favourite time of the year, once upon a time. But now I am tired of the learn-practise-exam-forget-repeat cycle and I think my brain is a little less elastic than it used to be, so it's probably time to call it a day :closedeyes:

+ until very recently I was not enthused at all by the world of work, but I suppose now I have no choice so I'm trying to get myself more interested in
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Four or five weeks of holiday a year, Mon-Fri 6am alarms and standing at a bus stop in the rain/wind in the dark for five(?) months a year [for] the next 40 or 50 years of your life and there will be no end until death or retirement.
    that

I wonder what university is like for people who see degrees as purely a means to an end (employment), how do they stay motivated? What happens if they feel like they've chosen the wrong degree?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.