Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I failed one of my resits and can't proceed to year two.
    I've heard people who had failed one unit and got to redo it in the next year alongside the other units. But they decided to not letting me into second year and instead ask me to take a supplementary year. I think this is kinda harsh consider I only failed one unit and was not far from the pass mark.

I'm thinking of appealing to the decision and can really do with some advises here.Has anyone been in this situation before or know anything that might help?

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. In terms of a supplementary year would you retake all modules, or just the one that you failed...

ReputationRep:
    I appealed the decision when this happened to me a few years back as i failed resitting my open unit. You need to go speak to some of your faculty staff and ask the union for guidance for your appeal. If you have any extenuating circumstances that can be attributed to the reason why you failed again and forgot to mention before the resit this would really be the time to bring them up.

The best outcome you can really get is resitting the whole 1st year again or resitting that singular module again. If you have student finance grants you'll really maybe want to push resitting the whole year so you remain a full time student. (Also for social aspects as pretty much this will be your new year group so you want to make new friends)

My appeal was successful as I had a medical issue that i hadn't told anyone, even a family member, but after being told i couldnt continue university my only option was to reveal it to everyone. I was fortunate to have a successful appeal. I hope yours is to, and that anything that i have said has helped.

ReputationRep:
    It might depend on what course you're doing as to how strict your school is.

You say you "failed one of your resits", which makes it sound like you had to re-sit more than just one module. If you didn't do wonderfully well in the modules you did pass first time around, and failed more than one, your school might be requiring you to do a supplementary year because they're concerned that you wouldn't be starting from a strong enough base to succeed in years two and three.

If you do want to appeal, you need to do so very quickly -- the timescales tend to be very tight, not least because the new academic year is about to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobyBed)
    I appealed the decision when this happened to me a few years back as i failed resitting my open unit. You need to go speak to some of your faculty staff and ask the union for guidance for your appeal. If you have any extenuating circumstances that can be attributed to the reason why you failed again and forgot to mention before the resit this would really be the time to bring them up.

The best outcome you can really get is resitting the whole 1st year again or resitting that singular module again. If you have student finance grants you'll really maybe want to push resitting the whole year so you remain a full time student. (Also for social aspects as pretty much this will be your new year group so you want to make new friends)

My appeal was successful as I had a medical issue that i hadn't told anyone, even a family member, but after being told i couldnt continue university my only option was to reveal it to everyone. I was fortunate to have a successful appeal. I hope yours is to, and that anything that i have said has helped.
    Thanks for the reply.

Do I just complete the form and send it to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tp6cl4)
    Thanks for the reply.

Do I just complete the form and send it to them?
    I think you need to URGENTLY make an appointment to talk to your personal tutor TODAY to discuss your options.

Looking at previous posts you've made, it looks like you failed four of your six modules at first attempt, and passed three of the four at re-sits.

If I was an academic looking at that record, I think I'd be very concerned as to whether you were coping on your course; there's little point in allowing you on to the second year if it looks like you were struggling in the first year -- it would just be setting you up to fail.

I don't know the exact criteria that are used to determine what options are open to your school; but it sounds like you've now twice narrowly missed being required to withdraw from your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    I think you need to URGENTLY make an appointment to talk to your personal tutor TODAY to discuss your options.

Looking at previous posts you've made, it looks like you failed four of your six modules at first attempt, and passed three of the four at re-sits.

If I was an academic looking at that record, I think I'd be very concerned as to whether you were coping on your course; there's little point in allowing you on to the second year if it looks like you were struggling in the first year -- it would just be setting you up to fail.

I don't know the exact criteria that are used to determine what options are open to your school; but it sounds like you've now twice narrowly missed being required to withdraw from your course.
    Hey thanks!

and yes you're right about the number of units i failed this summer. I didn't really enjoy that part of the course and being quite far away from the main campus kind of demotivated me to wake up early and go to these lectures. I also didn't make many friends from where I live due to lack of common interests. I did work really hard on the other 3 units I failed and was really struggling for the one which I eventually failed as I barley attend to any of the lectures and had to teach myself.

I would make an appointment to see my tutor today but he never replies to my email (did email him about the unit I failed before the resit to ask for some help) and I'm also not in UK at the moment so can only contact people through emails. I am international student by the way. You can probably tell by my poor English already.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tp6cl4)
    Hey thanks!

and yes you're right about the number of units i failed this summer. I didn't really enjoy that part of the course and being quite far away from the main campus kind of demotivated me to wake up early and go to these lectures. I also didn't make many friends from where I live due to lack of common interests. I did work really hard on the other 3 units I failed and was really struggling for the one which I eventually failed as I barley attend to any of the lectures and had to teach myself.

I would make an appointment to see my tutor today but he never replies to my email (did email him about the unit I failed before the resit to ask for some help) and I'm also not in UK at the moment so can only contact people through emails. I am international student by the way. You can probably tell by my poor English already.

Thanks again
    I think I need to be brutal here:

(1) I'm concerned about the lack of motivation. Unless you can sort that out, you're going to have problems thoughout your time at University. You simply can't start missing lectures and hope to do well.

(2) You need to speak to someone about what you're going to do. If you can't get hold of your personal tutor, you need to phone your school office TODAY and find out who you can talk to. Ask who is the head of student progress and speak to them. Teaching begins next Monday -- you need to sort out what you're going to do, and if it involves being in Bristol, you need to sort out how you're going to get here and where you're going to live. You don't want to leave this too late and end up missing some of this year's lectures too because you haven't got your act together.

(3) Presumably you can make international calls from where you live? Phoning and speaking to a real live human is always going to be better than trying to deal with something like this through email, particularly when you're leaving things till the last minute (which is what you seem to be doing). If necessary, ask the person in Bristol if they can phone you back.

(4) Depending on which country you're from, if you haven't sorted out whether you're coming back or not, there's a risk that you'll be reported as a non-attender and have your visa cancelled.

(5) Pull your socks up! :-)

ReputationRep:
    This has happened to my friend exactly - also failed his resit and is now having to spend the year just doing the one unit..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone who replied.

one more question, is it possible to transfer into another programme during the supplementary year or at the end of the year?

ReputationRep:
    These are questions you should be asking your tutor or whomever is head of your course, they are the only ones who can tell you this sort of thing for certain.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.