Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well what about that news story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2952123.stm
    The people in the story went to a euthanasia charity, who helped them to die. I assume they didn't want to hang themselves from trees or whatever - they wanted someone to administer a lethal drug. Euthanasia is illegal in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidal)
    What do you think of suicide? it's illegal right? so if one was to attempt suicide, but did not actually do it successfully,could they be prisoned?

if someone you knew unexpectedly committed suicide how would u feel? what about someone u hated? or someone that had a "**** life"

Suicide is an answer, but only when the question has no other.
    It certainly isn't cowardly.
    Do you realise how much courage it takes to attempt it?
    I know how i would react, if it was someone i cared about.
    I would be sad, of course, but i would also try to see the reasoning behind it, because i would know it had to have a serious reason.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is certainly NOT selfish-in fact it is gravely contrary to just self love. Suicide is desperate thinking. People who resort to taking away their own lives can't be described as rational. For that moment a wave of irrationality takes over which pushes people to the edge that they most probably have been contemplating for some time. Therefore if we desribe it as an irrational act then how can we possibly also describe it as selfish? How can we hold them accountable for their actions? ? Most people will view suicide as unnatural and selfish. But I would argue that they are the selfish ones-while the suicidal person is unable to withstand another second in their own personal hell, feeling intense misery and powerlessness, the rational friend simply wishes he/she hadn't taken their life, a) because now they feel guilty that they didn't see the signs (which isn't always justified) b) simply because they wanted the person to have stuck around a bit longer. Labelling the person in question ''selfish'' shows that you do not truly love the person and may even give an insight into why suicide occured in the first place.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm at a loss as to why everyone is seeing selfish as a negative label.

Everyone is selfish to some extent - it's part of human nature...built in to ensure survival of the species/genes.

I think that the sort of selfishness that absorbs people who are suicidal is very different to people who simply don't consider everyone else and hoard their easter eggs/money/love/time. It's more about losing perspective on everyone else...becoming withdrawn and self obsessed (again not in a negative way...I mean with regard to becoming obsesed with your own feelings/depression/problems so obsessed and locked in that asking for help is beyond you).

Of course it is selfish - it's a decision made about yourself based on your personal viewpoint. That doesn't mean that people who commit suicide don't consider others, just that their perspective and judgement on others has become distorted. And it doesn't mean that they are bad or wrong or heartless.

Suicide is such a heartbreakingly sad and confusing way to lose someone, and suicidal is a heartbreakingly sad state of mind to be in. It's nobodies fault and everybodies fault but taking peoples comments on the subject personally does nothing to help things.

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother stuck her head in the oven and put my mum by an open window. She knew that her sister always came round on a Wednesday anyway. Similarly, my uncle was accused of stealing money that he didn't, but felt so guilty anyway that he shot himself.

SOme people who attempt suicide don't actually want to die, they just want some help. It's a shame that you have to go to those lengths to find help; I know that when I have spoken to people in the support structure at uni (not regarding suicide) they just tell me "oh, everyone feels like this - plod on". When are people going to realise that emotions are a major part of human nature and we sometimes need to be indulged (not in a bad way) rather than rebuffed.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about suicide, but i know how it feels to want to do it. When you are that depressed, you don't think about how other people will react - you just think abut yourself. One of the characteristics of clinical depression is thoughts about death, so its not just like people who are a little down will commit the act, its people who have a clinical, medical reason.

I know how much it hurts to be left behind, but you have to look at it through the eyes of the person who commited suicide. I agree its kinda selfish, but its also a wake up call to all those people who just tell depressed people to "snap out of it" or "pull themselves together".

Depression needs to be fully understood, before you can pass judement on something it makes people feel the need to do.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Channel 4 do this all the time so here goes....

If you feel suicidal and unable to talk to the people around you then please please contact the Samaritans (http://www.samaritans.org/ ) they're there to help and they will not judge you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)

I know how much it hurts to be left behind, but you have to look at it through the eyes of the person who commited suicide. I agree its kinda selfish, but its also a wake up call to all those people who just tell depressed people to "snap out of it" or "pull themselves together".

Depression needs to be fully understood, before you can pass judgement on something it makes people feel the need to do.
    Yes, good point. The fact is, people who commit suicide are not available afterwards to help us understand why they did it and what would have helped.

We could gain information from those who have attempted suicide, but we still have a tendency to view people as drama queens or attention-seekers if they don't actually kill themselves. This is a terrible state of affairs.

I saw the world completely differently after my friend killed himself, and actively sought to help people around me who were showing signs of depression. It's often a frustrating and thankless task, but just letting people indulge in talking about themselves can make a difference. Often, people have such low self esteem they feel guilty about making a big deal of their depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    I saw the world completely differently after my friend killed himself, and actively sought to help people around me who were showing signs of depression. It's often a frustrating and thankless task, but just letting people indulge in talking about themselves can make a difference. Often, people have such low self esteem they feel guilty about making a big deal of their depression.
    Good on you. Having been through severe depression on and off, for about 5 years I know how isolated, needy and hurt people feel when they're depressed. It's vital that you give these people your time and not making them feel that they're a burden on you, because most people will feel too scared to talk in the first place incase you gain that negative impression of them. In a depression, you plod aimlessly through life, learning to disguise your depression, for fear of people disrespecting you and taking advantage of your vulnerability. I've never been fully open about it. I'm skilled at playing the life and soul of the party and am naturally friendly and caring, so people would never guess that about me. But often inside there's an indescribable emptiness, fear of the future, and feeling of despair. To me, most people who are make it nowadays are those who are strong and courageous amongst other things, so you don't want to risk losing those closest to you by exposing your other side. The worst thing is when people abuse what you have told them in confidence to get back at you. I have told my mum and sister's a few times (indirectly usually) how I feel, only for them to throw it back in my face in the middle of an argument (''Just because you're so different to normal people don't blame us''...''Or you're so complicated and sensitive, you really need to get over pitying yourself'')....when people closest to you say something like that, that's when you feel that no one in the world could possibly care about you. You get into the ''society hates me, I hate society'' mindset and spend all your time replaying painful incidents, going over it like it was an emotional car accident. Anyway, now I'm definately a lot better and stronger as a person-I've realised that Sartre's ''The other is hell'', is wrong, and you only make things hell for yourself.You have to take responsibility for yourself and learn that in most cases no one can make you feel like you're worth nothing unless you give them the right to do so. And I would say if you need to talk tell someone you feel you can trust, not just anyone because they may end up betraying you and tripling the pain. And take it easy-life is a gift-and everything is an experience-learn from every minute-that's how your inner strength will grow

ReputationRep:
    i tried twice did an overdose ... i still cut myself when i feel depressed (most of the time)... but im happy it never worked coz im sooooo scared of death...

ReputationRep:
    when you get so so so low in clinical depression - you dont have much risk of suicide as you cant even be bothered to do that as you are just so exhausted and so miserable you dont even want to do yourself the favour of ending it all. the dangerous stage is when youre feeling sh*t but you got a bit of energy left to plot your demise... thats why people think anti-depressants are dangerous... they lift you that little bit and give you a surge of energy, ready for you to go shopping for knives, padlocks and stuff.
    i agree with what peopel have said about the depth of the depression being the crucial factor. people often mix up self-harm and suicide... like if someone takes a moderate overdose and gets their stomach pumped, i doubt very much they planned to die or theyd ahve done it in the woods and not presented themself at A&E, they actuaslly just want to hurt themselves badly, no more. but say you jump onto a motorway or under a train, thats final, theres no way youd survive that and theres no way you just decide to do that on the spur of the moment - takes planning.

ReputationRep:
    Did u noe that in some really autocratic countries, they cane the bodies of people who have committed suicide as they consier it a huge crime?? Pretty gross.....

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can say if suicide is brave or cowardly until you've walked in the shoes of the person who took their life. Each story is different, and until we can understand their feelings and their struggles with life, we are in no state to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musiq)
    I don't think you can say if suicide is brave or cowardly until you've walked in the shoes of the person who took their life. Each story is different, and until we can understand their feelings and their struggles with life, we are in no state to judge.
    i couldnt have put it better myself. i totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    Suicide is painless, or so the song says

It is really cowardly, and very selfish really.
    The Game Of Life is hard to play
    I'm gonna loose it anyway
    The loser's card someday I'll lay
    So this is all I have to say...
    Suicide is painless
    It brings on many changes
    And I can take or leave it if I please
    etc
    It's cowardly sometimes
    But very brave in a way
    "Enjoy life- there's plenty of time to be dead"

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of suicide? it's illegal right? so if one was to attempt suicide, but did not actually do it successfully,could they be prisoned?

if someone you knew unexpectedly committed suicide how would u feel? what about someone u hated? or someone that had a "**** life"

My bestfriend hung herself. May 22nd 2001.

Personally, and knowing her, I think it took real guts to do it.

If you put all my friends in a line of most likely to top themselves to least likely on 21st May 2001 and time preceeding, she would have been at the far end of the never part of the line.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    My bestfriend hung herself. May 22nd 2001.
    :eek: that was my birthday :eek:

I don't think suicide is selfish at all. If someone does not want to live their life, who is anyone to try to stop them until they know exactly how that person feels? I think it would take a lot of courage to do it, to know in the bottom of your heart that you'd have no regrets, that life really is not worth living. I couldn't make that decision, in my opinion there's too much to live for.

ReputationRep:
    Just reading this thread really makes my problems seem so small they disappear.

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking selfish might be too harsh a word - but it is definately self-centred (actualyl thatd the wrong word too, but something like that). i am never going to forgive myself for the pain i put people through with my suicide attempt(s) - and i didnt even end up dead and i caused that much pain!!! when youre dead youre not around to feel guilty, but if you were itd be unbearable. its like taking your 50g of pain and multiplying it by everyone you know and distributing it. so youre not getting rid of them problem, youre just making it worse - like if youre MD of a huge company and you screw up and realise its going to collapse, so you just quit your job and leave other peopel to pick up the pieces.
    theres got to be some kind of severe mental disturbance (not just a couple of prozac a day, i mean real problems with thoughts and distorted views of the world) for someone to want to kill themselves seriously (not just a casual thought - i mean actually doing the measurements here...). and if someone is ill - you treat them, right?

ReputationRep:

suicide IS legal :rolleyes: cowardly but i guess every1 knows my views on it now!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.