Turn on thread page Beta

Difference between valley cross profile and channel cross profile watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so it says in my revision guide that I have to be careful between the two terms but to me they kind of mean the same thing?

Valley cross profile = from one side of the river valley to the other
    Channel cross profile = shape of the river channel from one side to another

Does they both just mean what the river looks like if we were to cut it horizontally? I think I may be stuck on the difference between river valley and river channel.

ReputationRep:
    The valley cross profile is from one side of the valley to the other, so basically includes the whole cross section of the drainage basin from one watershed to the other, this would be V shaped in the upper course with steep sides, and U shaped in it's lower course with more gentle sloping sides. The channel cross profile is just the cross section of the channel so it is a lot smaller, the channel is the area in which the river flows, the valley is the bigger area which the river drains.

Hope this makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielcb12)
    The valley cross profile is from one side of the valley to the other, so basically includes the whole cross section of the drainage basin from one watershed to the other, this would be V shaped in the upper course with steep sides, and U shaped in it's lower course with more gentle sloping sides. The channel cross profile is just the cross section of the channel so it is a lot smaller, the channel is the area in which the river flows, the valley is the bigger area which the river drains.

Hope this makes sense...
    cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.