08boothc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I know psychology is a science and therefore will have some science in it but I was wondering how scientific is it in terms of biology, is harder or the same as A level?

I'm really passionate about it as a subject and this has led me to do an epq on the psychology in supermarkets and I really like doing about mental illness and would like to one day work with people who have them, the only thing that worries me is there being too MUCH science which I don't understand as I haven't done any other science except psychology at a level

Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance
Aspiring Genius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 08boothc)
Hi, I know psychology is a science and therefore will have some science in it but I was wondering how scientific is it in terms of biology, is harder or the same as A level?

I'm really passionate about it as a subject and this has led me to do an epq on the psychology in supermarkets and I really like doing about mental illness and would like to one day work with people who have them, the only thing that worries me is there being too MUCH science which I don't understand as I haven't done any other science except psychology at a level

Psychology is NOT a science and it never will be. Why on earth did you think it was a science ? Saying that psychology is a science makes the real natural science subjects look bad. Please never put psychology in the same scope or vicinity as a science subject, because it looks silly.
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aspiring Genius)
Psychology is NOT a science and it never will be. Why on earth did you think it was a science ? Saying that psychology is a science makes the real natural science subjects look bad. Please never put psychology in the same scope or vicinity as a science subject, because it looks silly.
Somebody's knickers appear to be in a bit of twizzle.
08boothc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aspiring Genius)
Sorry to offend I respect the fact and know it is not as hard or even the same as other sciences. BUT it is classed as a science hence why it is a Bachelor of Science degree at University, classed as the science of the mind by professionals and has the definition of 'The scientific study of the human mind' in the English Oxford Dictionary, it IS completely different to other sciences but there are SCIENCE elements involved thus why I am asking how much science is involved!
08boothc
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackened_sky)
Somebody's knickers appear to be in a bit of twizzle.
Haha thanks for the support :beer: I never meant to offend the other sciences but there is science elements in psychology my bad
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha thanks for the support :beer: I never meant to offend the other sciences but there is science elements in psychology my bad
I agree with you anyway, Psychology will never be a complete(?) science, that's one of the main things we're taught at A level - no single paradigm, lots of studies aren't/can't be objective, some aren't falsifiable (mostly Freud) etc etc.
But there is a hell of a lot of science and scientific method involved and for anyone to dismiss it as not being a 'real' science is the epitome of snobbish. A lot of Freud's theories have been removed from syllabuses because they're not very scientific in an attempt to solidify Psychology as a hard science, and it's helped in my opinion.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It probably depends on the course to an extent, although as others have said it is scientific. I know from when I did my undergrad (a fair while ago!) the modules that were most technical to understand were perception (auditory perception mostly!) and cognitive neuroscience (so parts of the brain). Cognitive can be quite scientific too, depending on what it covers.

Degree is always going to be more difficult than A Level though, in any subject
Uberphuq
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I am looking at University right now for 2015 starting and for most uni's you do not need any specific A levels to study it, not even psychology, this suggests that there isn't much academic information about the specifics of biology etc, and having just completed AS with a B (one mark of an A :'( ) there is no reason why someone who is not confident in the natural sciences shouldn't apply for and take on this course.

Hope i helped
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology is a very broad subject area, with some parts of it being far more empirical (e.g biological psychology, Research methods and statistics, cognitive) than others (social psychology, psychodynamic theories).

At undergraduate level, you would be exposed to have a mix of the areas, and it helps to have Biology A level and some ability in maths to understand the concepts. Throughout your degree, you would be expected to take a scientific approach to critiquing and evaluating the material, even though the concepts themselves may not necessarily be scientific (e.g. doing a literature review on parental attachment).

Yet TSR classifies Psychology under the category of Maths, Science and Technology University Courses for its own purposes.So completely reasonable for the OP to ask and to dismiss outright without any real evaluation and argument I would suggest is (a) quite a strong reaction and reductionistic and (b) ironically not very scientific.

However, a good overview of how psychology does and does not fit the classification of "science" can be found here: http://www.simplypsychology.org/science-psychology.html
jcoo490
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think this is a totally valid question! I've been working in mental health for two years so am less worried about placements etc. but am really concerned about how much science and maths is going to be involved in the degree, not necessarily my strong points! Am also studying Criminology which seems less science based, and more sociological theory.
I think I can get through it if there are some modules like that, but would like it to be a part and not the whole study...
08boothc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uberphuq)
I am looking at University right now for 2015 starting and for most uni's you do not need any specific A levels to study it, not even psychology, this suggests that there isn't much academic information about the specifics of biology etc, and having just completed AS with a B (one mark of an A :'( ) there is no reason why someone who is not confident in the natural sciences shouldn't apply for and take on this course.

Hope i helped
Hi you did thanks, ooh what unis are you looking at/applying to? and omg same one mark off an A too it really sucks, but at least we've got high B's right! Are you resitting the exam?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.53%
I'm not sure (46)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.63%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.91%

Watched Threads