Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have a chance of getting into Durham? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in the Biological Anthropology course at Durham. I understand that it's quite a competitive university, probably the third most competitive in the country behind Oxford and Cambridge. The entry requirements are ABB. At AS-Level, I achieved BBCU, however, I am certain I can get ABB for A2 if not more. Do I stand much of a chance? Be completely honest with me, I don't want to waste an application if I don't.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikutsmullac)
    I'm interested in the Biological Anthropology course at Durham. I understand that it's quite a competitive university, probably the third most competitive in the country behind Oxford and Cambridge. The entry requirements are ABB. At AS-Level, I achieved BBCU, however, I am certain I can get ABB for A2 if not more. Do I stand much of a chance? Be completely honest with me, I don't want to waste an application if I don't.

Thanks.
    depends what your predicted grades are really :P If you are predicted ABB or more then that's great, but if not then maybe retake a module or two to give you higher ums and a higher overall grade? If your predicted grades are lower than ABB, you can always go through adjustment or apply next year with the grades you actually get rather than the predicted ones :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infinitytheory)
    depends what your predicted grades are really :P If you are predicted ABB or more then that's great, but if not then maybe retake a module or two to give you higher ums and a higher overall grade? If your predicted grades are lower than ABB, you can always go through adjustment or apply next year with the grades you actually get rather than the predicted ones :cool:
    I've not got my predictions yet, but I think they will be in the region of AAB-ABB. I'm really worried about the U, it looks so bad, especially since a lot of people applying there might have four A grades.

ReputationRep:
    I've not got my predictions yet, but I think they will be in the region of AAB-ABB. I'm really worried about the U, it looks so bad, especially since a lot of people applying there might have four A grades.
    Those predicted grades will be fine for that course and if you make a good personal statement too then that will help also They may have 4 A's for other subjects yes, but if the requirements are ABB then i'm assuming the majority have those sort of grades at AS and not neccessarily 4As :P Don't worry about the U too much, they'll be focusing the subjects you continued to A2 and your predicted grades more than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infinitytheory)
    Those predicted grades will be fine for that course and if you make a good personal statement too then that will help also They may have 4 A's for other subjects yes, but if the requirements are ABB then i'm assuming the majority have those sort of grades at AS and not neccessarily 4As :P Don't worry about the U too much, they'll be focusing the subjects you continued to A2 and your predicted grades more than that
    I've only really just discovered the subject this month but it looks so interesting and draws upon so many other subjects which I also find interesting. I'll try my best to write a killer statement and see where it takes me, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I've only really just discovered the subject this month but it looks so interesting and draws upon so many other subjects which I also find interesting. I'll try my best to write a killer statement and see where it takes me, who knows.
    Good luck with your A2s and personal statement!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Warwick next week, got a Durham offer for Biomedical Sciences, I actually ended up missing it though, lol. AAC. Got a U in biology unit5 after AQA lost the final two pages of my exam. Since I type my exams and my school sends AQA that, two pages is a big deal 40 marks I've been given zero before because examiners had nothing to mark). It's in the process of being fixed. In hindsight, I can shed some light onto the journey that applying to university is, for Durham specifically, although most will apply to the process as a whole.

1) I wouldn't imagine GCSEs aren't very important, like to Oxbridge yes, but lol this isn't the third most competitive university. Imperial is harder. Maybe LSE/UCL/Durham are on the same level, with Warwick etc trailing behind. I got 6As, 3Bs and a C (effing religious studies). But I got AAAA at AS, so maybe that's why I got an offer? But, at somewhere like oxbridge and imperial I'd be rejected purely on the grounds of my GCSEs.

2) Don't try to apply for Oxbridge if you have bad GCSEs. It really is a waste of time. Exceptions will be made for bad schools, (i.e. getting a few A*s less than someone from a private school) only to an extent. And if you have mitigating circumstances. But otherwise, you're wasting that space. Look at the average A* at GCSE % rate, if you're not meeting it or above it, don't bother. Oxford's Life Sciences was about 5 or 6 last year.

3) Your personal statement isn't as important as you think. Stil try hard, put your heart and soul into it. But don't worry if your friend's has a better introduction than you or blah blah. Passion for the subject is important. But most people finish their course regardless of if they enjoy it or not. Most course completion rates are in the range of 95%-99%. Grades are the most important!

Also on the topic of personal statements. People like to do this thing where they have a final paragraph, summarising things. Don't. It'll save you space and you can write about something that's actually important. The way I like to think about it, is that if your personal statement is really bad upto your conclusion and you have a really good conclusion, the person reading it won't be like 'WOW!'. It will still be ****. If it's the other way around (good mostly, bad conclusion). They still won't care. You're simply reiterating, which adds nothing to your personal statement.

4) Your reference on the other hand, is very important. I went to an event with an organisation called the Brilliant Club on applying to university, this Cambridge admissions tutor said that a reference is approximately just as important as an interview. And we all know how important they are. If you're from a bad school - i.e. high crime rates, working class area, low %5A*-C at GCSEs, low staffupil ratio. My school has most of these, it's important to get your teacher to mention these. A student from a worse school, applying with the same grades as somebody from Eton has definitely worked harder

5) Don't inflate your predicted grades, then apply places worth of your predicted grades, but not worthy of the grades you're likely to get. It's good to have both ambitious places that are sightly higher than what you're expected to get, but also ones that you should almost definitely get into.

6) Lastly, delve very deeply into your subject now before you apply.You will be FILLED with regret if you realise throughout the year that a course 'isn't for you', it'll also make revision a little harder. Maybe, it didn't bother me that I was a little skeptical about if I would enjoy my course, but I knew that I needed good grades regardless of what degree I wanted to do. Doing a lot of research, reading, watching videos, speaking to current students (find these on the freshers groups), attending open lectures, museums, degree level textbooks, speak to teachers who studied those subjects. Admissions tutors - these people literally sit by their phones waiting for somebody to call them. i.e. YOU. Doing this, will also put your mind at ease if you're a little worried you'll go off of your subject.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.