Turn on thread page Beta

help writing my resignation letter please? stuck! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I want to hand my notice in this week and I have to give 4 weeks notice, I was going to hand it in on wednesday, do I have to put the day I will be leaving? I'm not sure what day that would be 4 weeks from now, apparently it has to be 4 calendar weeks, so could it not be the friday the week before? Can I not discuss it with my manager when I would be leaving or do I have to put it on the resignation letter?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You can discuss it with your manager before putting something in writing.

Most people will say something informally before confirming in writing (in common courtesy).

There's lots of templates on the internet. Keep it short and simple, you don't need to explain why, just state you are formally resigning as per the date of your written confirmation.

If you were to resign on Wed and you have 4 calendar weeks notice, your last day would be Wednesday 22 October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As the above has said, all you really have to do is formally state your date of resignation, nothing more, nothing less, if that requires discussing the specific date with your manager discuss it with them.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by daisyred)
    You can put it in the letter yourself, and ask them to check eg

I would like my last working day to be Friday xx October, which is slightly more than the 4 weeks notice period. Please can you confirm this fits with your understanding of the notice period.

You can adjust the language to suit your company terms and how well you know the Manager, but basically, tell them what you want and ask them to confirm its OK.

You can leave it all out and say that you will discuss it in person, but it is normal to put it in writing.

ReputationRep:
    As someone has said above, it's more usual to tell your manager in person and then put it in writing just for formalities.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thank you for all your replies

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.