Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So as you may have heard there are two new medical schools opening this year for 2015 entry: UCLan and Buckingham. They generally have lower entry requirements (AAB) but extortionate tuition fees of around £35,000! which are subject to rise due to inflation ect! What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    My opinions aren't positive, but there is nothing we can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    My opinions aren't positive, but there is nothing we can do.
    I was hoping this would turn into a big debate with conflicting opinions but i guess it didnt. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)
    I was hoping this would turn into a big debate with conflicting opinions but i guess it didnt. :rolleyes:
    It'll mostly be for international students but it's still a step back in terms of all the work that's gone into widening participation etc over the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly wouldn't want to be in the first couple of classes at any medical school yet to be GMC accredited. I just see this as a money making scheme for the universities in question; people who can afford £35k per year are not people that we need more of in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It'll mostly be for international students but it's still a step back in terms of all the work that's gone into widening participation etc over the past few years.
    Totally agree!

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I'd certainly wouldn't want to be in the first couple of classes at any medical school yet to be GMC accredited. I just see this as a money making scheme for the universities in question; people who can afford £35k per year are not people that we need more of in medicine.
    I agree with the GMC aspect of things. But I personally think having people like that in medicine might be a good thing. It shows they are passionate about the career and they are willing to pay so much to go into medicine for whatever motive including wanting to care for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)

I agree with the GMC aspect of things. But I personally think having people like that in medicine might be a good thing. It shows they are passionate about the career and they are willing to pay so much to go into medicine for whatever motive including wanting to care for others.
    No. It shows they will pay large sums to get what they want; a medical degree from the UK.
    There are enough UK doctors emigrating, training more international students who have more of a reason to emigrate after registration is a risky bet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.