Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 3As and a B in my AS, the B being in further maths and the A's in physics, chem and maths.
    I am applying to cambridge. Would I be at a disadvantage if I was to drop further maths at A2 and continue with physics chemistry and maths???
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by rohan9777)
    I got 3As and a B in my AS, the B being in further maths and the A's in physics, chem and maths.
    I am applying to cambridge. Would I be at a disadvantage if I was to drop further maths at A2 and continue with physics chemistry and maths???
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the Maths forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

ReputationRep:
    To be brutally honest, Cambridge would be a wasted application.

ReputationRep:
    If in your 3A's you have high ums so that means over 90 then that would be fine if not I would considering reconsidering!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'd suggest you take a look at some of the Cambridge college websites, but I'm pretty sure they all say FM is highly recommended, if not actually required, at A2.

Was there a particular reason why you only achieved a B at FM AS? Cambridge Econ is highly mathematical, so if you found FM AS a struggle, you may well struggle with the uni course even if you managed to get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    If you got a B in AS FM you'll probably struggle with the maths at Cambidge/LSE/UCL/Warwick unless there was another reason why you got the B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    If in your 3A's you have high ums so that means over 90 then that would be fine if not I would considering reconsidering!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My best 3 subjects average to 90% UMS
    The total UMS of all subjects average to 87%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    To be brutally honest, Cambridge would be a wasted application.
    What about Warwick, UCL and Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    What about Warwick, UCL and Nottingham?
    Yeah they're reasonable

ReputationRep:
    Top ten economics? I am very confused since you did not pick Economics at AS yet people assume you are wanting to do maths. If you want to do maths at Cambridge, unfortunately it would be a wasted application unless you have extreme mitigating circumstances. A B in Further Maths would be very weak considering that 80%+ (I imagine) would be applying with a solid A. With that said, however, Cambridge do hand out a lot more offers in comparison to other degrees, this is because their offer includes step II and III which filter out a considerable number of applicants and offer holders. You could get an offer if your interview, provided you get one, goes extremely well and even then you have to excel at step II and III given that you got a B at AS Further. Any other degree such as NatSci, provided you have 90%+ UMS would be a different story, but because you have gotten a B in the subject you want to pursue a degree in. In that lies the problem.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Top ten economics? I am very confused since you did not pick Economics at AS yet people assume you are wanting to do maths. If you want to do maths at Cambridge, unfortunately it would be a wasted application unless you have extreme mitigating circumstances. A B in Further Maths would be very weak considering that 80%+ (I imagine) would be applying with a solid A. With that said, however, Cambridge do hand out a lot more offers in comparison to other degrees, this is because their offer includes step II and III which filter out a considerable number of applicants and offer holders. You could get an offer if your interview, provided you get one, goes extremely well and even then you have to excel at step II and III given that you got a B at AS Further. Any other degree such as NatSci, provided you have 90%+ UMS would be a different story, but because you have gotten a B in the subject you want to pursue a degree in. In that lies the problem.
    I read the OP's title as indicating he wanted to do Econ not Maths. I think Econ is one of those subjects like Law where doing it at A level is not a pre-requisite for uni study, although it seems a bit unusual.

In any case, Maths + FM is pretty essential for a top uni because of the mathematical nature of the subject.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.