The Student Room Group

Overwhelmed at University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are you going back to uni then?

Just curious.

Also I'm like OP. I enjoy having some drinks in a pub but can't stand clubbing. It really stresses me out, plus I don't like drinking to the point of feeling ill. Is there not any societies you could join? I went rock climbing in the uni's gym with someone on my course for something to do. There's also nothing wrong with just doing pre-drinks and then calling it a night if that is what you want.

mainstream clubbing is only fun if you're looking to get laid.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are you going back to uni then?

Just curious.

Also I'm like OP. I enjoy having some drinks in a pub but can't stand clubbing. It really stresses me out, plus I don't like drinking to the point of feeling ill. Is there not any societies you could join? I went rock climbing in the uni's gym with someone on my course for something to do. There's also nothing wrong with just doing pre-drinks and then calling it a night if that is what you want.

I hate how most people at my uni go clubbing, don't even see what's so good about it, the way people act whilst drunk is what annoys me the most, hate it, no other words, going to the pub is the best but no-one at my uni goes.. :|
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the incredibly long post, feel free to skip! I've had a skim through some of these posts (so apologies if I'm repeating information), but the title of the thread hits really close to home for me.
When I first arrived at Uni and met the President of my hall's committee, I cried. Really embarrassing as I was with my sister (who had just graduated with a first class degree and her undergrad dissertation was published), and I was two years out of High School (I grew up in the US), so I was 19. I was like "I'm older than this guy [the President] but I'm so intimidated I'm crying to my super-successful sister!! Outside!! In front of people!!" Needless to say, I was overwhelmed. This kind of continued through the first weeks of uni, I was incredibly intimidated by my flat and barely spoke to any of the girls. They all seemed so put together!! And they ALL went out, and I had never been clubbing before and didn't drink very much alcohol.
I later found out that ALL of these girls, and some the guys in my flat too, cried at least once a week in this period. One of them, the one who seemed most put together and was the oldest, admitted she kept bringing a glass to the kitchen so in case we didn't want to talk to her she could pretend she was thirsty! I was shocked.
Fast forward three years and I was the President of two societies, volunteered as a Peer Supporter, worked as a Student Ambassador, and graduated with a good degree. If you had told me in Fresher's I would be that girl, I would have cried. And, of course, not believed you.
That's obviously just my case-but I can tell you that I was probably the MOST overwhelmed you could be on that first night. I hid in my room. I had to force myself to be social. But it does get better. And just keep in mind that you should always do what is best for you; it's most important that you're happy :smile: And almost everyone feels overwhelmed at some point, but everyone hides it differently. Some people literally hide, some people get really drunk, some people throw themselves into their work. You are all awesome, and your university wouldn't have let you in if they didn't think you would be successful at their institution! Let it be okay that you're overwhelmed, but don't let it define you.
And if you would like more stories about people who had a really rough time in first term but found their stride, I have a wealth of these to share, and I'm very happy to do so!
Sorry for the novel!!
Anja
English Lit and International Relations Graduate and Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest