Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I've always loved studying music and decided to take it on for my degree. I fell in love with plymouth university and got an offer of 260 ucas points, very low taking into consideration my distinction in grade 8. I got in with B,D and E grades at A2 and a B at AS. Here's the thing, I bloody hate it. The people on my course are nothing like me and I'm already feeling isolated. I've only met one of my 4 flat mates, 3 days in to my freshers week. So I'm just considering my options.
    I started A levels with a desire to study law, but after I discovered my musicality I stopped trying and let my grades slip. Now I'm at university, all I want to do is learn, I never really get out much and would rather spend my time studying than clubbing. With this new enthusiasm I've started thinking about a law route.
    However seeing as my grades are so bad, I was wondering if a foundation degree of law would allow me to get into somewhere like bristol or cardiff, which would be my top choices. I'm not unintelligent, I believe that I would put in the effort necessary to achieve well in a law degree and I believe I have the right mind. However officially, in terms of grades, they speak a different story.
    SO my question.

Would it be possible to drop out of freshers week with the idea of getting work experience in law between now and next year, where I will hope to study a law foundation degree. And after this, a normal degree?

And on top of this.. would it be worthwhile? I'd be 24 when I graduate uni..

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Firstly, don't worry too much about your age - I know several students who are studying well into their 20s, so you should still fit in fine at uni. Also, it's better to graduate a year or two later but go into a job you love, than to graduate a earlier and spend the years you've saved (and potentially the rest of your working life) working in a job you don't enjoy.

It might be worth thinking about why you are considering this though - are you highly motivated to study law, or just find the pace of your music course at Portsmouth a bit slow?

Is clearing still open? It might be worth investigating if there are any foundation year programmes for law available to start now (highly unlikely, particularly this late after results day, though...) so you wouldn't lose quite as many years. Another option would be to drop out now and retake a few A levels during a gap year, while reapplying to different universities - for law or music. Or of course, you could spend the gap year doing work experience etc. and apply for a foundation year to start in 2015.

Lots of universities, including many top ones, accept foundation years - and often the university where you do the foundation year will guarantee you entry onto their degree programme after successful completion of the year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.