Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started to write it and have two weeks (should've started earlier������)...

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated:-)

Cheers all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tomh97)
    I've just started to write it and have two weeks (should've started earlier😳)...

I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate to be answered😊

1. I want to mention books I've read (in search of Schrödinger's cat and six easy pieces) but should I expand and say what I found interesting in the book?

2. My fascination with physics began in an unorthodox manner... Primarily though the Big Bang theory... Should I mention this or is it a bit 'silly'!"?

3. What other stuff can/should I mention? Musical talent? DofE? Bronze award in maths challenge?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated:-)

Cheers all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

1. Yes. You need to explain what you found interesting and why and why it made you want to study the subject at degree level.

2. Yes it is!! This is a professional and formal application and needs to be treated such. You need to show a specific academic interest in the subject. Give examples of things that have interested you from your reading studies or any work experience give done in the field.

3. Extra curriculars need only be a short para of no more than 100 words with a focus on relevant transferable skills gained. Stick to things you've done over the last two years.

Most of your statement should be about your academic interest in the subject and should demonstrate an understanding of what studying physics at uni and working in the field is about.

Quote if you want a reply!
    BSc Biochemistry University of York
    Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Let's put it like this. I'm an academic at a university and if I were reading your statement I'd think either this person is not taking this seriously or genuinely thinks that studying physics at university is like the Big Bang theory. Is that the impression you want to leave with your limited chance to make a good first impression through your statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Let's put it like this. I'm an academic at a university and if I were reading your statement I'd think either this person is not taking this seriously or genuinely thinks that studying physics at university is like the Big Bang theory. Is that the impression you want to leave with your limited chance to make a good first impression through your statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can see if you write about it in the wrong way it can seem stupid but I think it seems better than the usual bull**** story that people were interested in physics since the age of 5 and stuff like that. If I elaborate and mention the books I've read, the articles I read and my membership to the IOP don't you think they'll realise I'm not studying physics to live an artificial life seen on television?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't think I was as clear in my last reply.

Don't you think it depends on how you write about it? If you say 'I want to study physics because I watched the Big Bang theory', that would obviously show the admissions tutor you think you're going to live a life exactly like they do on television and have no interest in physics.

However if you say it sparked your interest in physics which led to further reading and master classes wouldn't they think he obviously wants to do physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    A ps is supposed to be formal professional and show your academic interest in the subject. Talking about an American tv show or a 5 year olds interest in physics doesn't fit those bills. It sounds like you have enough academic stuff to talk about anyway so I don't see why the Big Bang theory is still so important to include. Anyway I've advised you based on my experience but it's your ps so it's up to you. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tomh97)
    Don't think I was as clear in my last reply.

Don't you think it depends on how you write about it? If you say 'I want to study physics because I watched the Big Bang theory', that would obviously show the admissions tutor you think you're going to live a life exactly like they do on television and have no interest in physics.

However if you say it sparked your interest in physics which led to further reading and master classes wouldn't they think he obviously wants to do physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is your PS - you can decide to ignore the advice you have been given here if you wish.

While it is possible to produce a good PS that starts off with a reference to a TV show it is extremely rare and very difficult. If you think you can pull it off then feel free but tbh I agree with the other PS advisers - you would be better to skip over what first sparked your interest and to get straight into the nitty gritty of what you like about it now.

Edit: remember you might love the series but the member of staff who reads your PS might LOATHE it, they might dislike the humour, they might think it paints a completely cliched picture of physicists, they might think it gives a very misleading idea of the life of an academic. Using it as your opening into the subject is a risky strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well I'll leave it out then. Thanks for the feedback!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

1. Yes. You need to explain what you found interesting and why and why it made you want to study the subject at degree level.

2. Yes it is!! This is a professional and formal application and needs to be treated such. You need to show a specific academic interest in the subject. Give examples of things that have interested you from your reading studies or any work experience give done in the field.

3. Extra curriculars need only be a short para of no more than 100 words with a focus on relevant transferable skills gained. Stick to things you've done over the last two years.

Most of your statement should be about your academic interest in the subject and should demonstrate an understanding of what studying physics at uni and working in the field is about.

Quote if you want a reply!
    BSc Biochemistry University of York
    Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
    Hey, I was wondering how employable is a biochemistry degrees? What career prospects are available?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Any science degree is very employable. You gain a load of skills which can be applied to a range of different jobs though if you want to stay in science you will need at least a masters if not a PhD.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.