Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in A2 literature and my teacher turned out to not teach well, for example he made us do power points and read through articles rather than analysis the texts. I had complained and I wanted to move teachers to my AS teacher I had last year. With this teacher i had gotten an A and wanted to continue to do well. Once they transferred my over, they kept on trying to move me back- saying he was a great teacher and I was immature to leave. By this time I had already transferred and thought it stupid to go back so I fought and I'm staying. I've been though this before with my AS history teacher (I think I made a post on it) and I ended up failing her class but passing with the new history teacher- so I think I can tell what teaching style is for me. Do you think I was right to leave? I was the only one who could, but everybody does want to leave.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you made the right decision then you probably did. The teachers teaching style does sound a bit... ****, to be quite honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's your future, and if you can you should do what suits you best AND shows it in results, which you seem to have done, you are going on results not just who you like. That's vital!

Schools can be poor at recognising teachers who just don't do as well as they should but aren't bad enough to fire. It can be hard for them to do ANYTHING so they kind of stick their heads in the sand. I changed schools to escape a bad A level history teacher we had complained about to no avail, got an A while my classmates back at my old school got Bs and Cs, and there were many in that class brighter and harder working than me.

Now as a parent, I am blunt ALMOST to the point of rudeness with schools about poor teachers. When it came to one A level subject in my kids school this year I asked flatly "Is X teaching it, because that would affect whether they take that subject at all" (as my less-blunt teen writhed in embarrassment next to me, though they desperately wanted to know the answer) and the careful reply I got was "X is not teaching A level at all from now on." Which means the school knows X is sub-par, X surely must know X is sub par, but X is still teaching. I suppose the school could be said to be in the wrong for not tackling the situation, but it's extremely hard for them - and to be fair, the rules that make it hard are there to protect teachers from being picked on by bullying heads, because anyone, in any position, is potentially flawed.

Evidence (though never 100% conclusive in just one case) will be in the results, if you do better than the ones who stayed with the other teacher, you ought to go back to the school and say "I think the results show you have a problem in this teacher." Even if a poor teacher can't be improved (best scenario) or got rid of, they should be kept away from the most important years. I'm pretty sure in our school X was removed from A levels because forthright parents and A level students complained.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses 😊 I've already made my decision so I should stand by it- for my futures sake. I do understand how difficult it might be to change the rules, but sometimes they need to be changed for the better. Hopefully everything will turn out alright. Thanks again, hearing other peoples opinions helps me cope in these situations

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.