Turn on thread page Beta

Is my weight concerning for an adult male? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a 20 year old male, about 5ft 10 in height. I recently weighed myself. I weigh about 7.5 Stone.

I have always been extremely skinny. I think I eat a lot and I don't think I suffer from excessive fatigue. I don't necessarily always eat the right stuff (I don't eat meat so perhaps I lack protein) but my weight doesn't seem to change based on what I've eaten anyway. But I always assumed I'd just naturally bulk out as I got older. This appears not to have happened

I have never engaged in working out as I'm just not motivated by the need to look more muscular. However, I think I do remain physically and mentally active throughout the day.

One other factor could be that I drink quite a lot of coffee (normally at least 5 cups a day, often more), which I know can increase my already quite speedy metabolism.

Should I be unconcerned about my weight if it is not causing me any obvious pain or discomfort? Or should I be concerned that it is symptomatic of some sort of health problem? .

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you eat meat?

You should use the motivation of being healthy to work out... Eat more, especially meat, lift and do cardio if you want to be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)
    Why don't you eat meat?

You should use the motivation of being healthy to work out... Eat more, especially meat, lift and do cardio if you want to be healthy.
    Why should he eat meat? It's perfectly possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle (and put on weight) without meat.

(Original post by andragonous)
    I am a 20 year old male, about 5ft 10 in height. I recently weighed myself. I weigh about 7.5 Stone.

I have always been extremely skinny. I think I eat a lot and I don't think I suffer from excessive fatigue. I don't necessarily always eat the right stuff (I don't eat meat so perhaps I lack protein) but my weight doesn't seem to change based on what I've eaten anyway. But I always assumed I'd just naturally bulk out as I got older. This appears not to have happened

I have never engaged in working out as I'm just not motivated by the need to look more muscular. However, I think I do remain physically and mentally active throughout the day.

One other factor could be that I drink quite a lot of coffee (normally at least 5 cups a day, often more), which I know can increase my already quite speedy metabolism.

Should I be unconcerned about my weight if it is not causing me any obvious pain or discomfort? Or should I be concerned that it is symptomatic of some sort of health problem? .
    I've always been like this - I weigh a little more than you (about 9 stone) and I'm a little taller (just under 6 foot). Like you, I don't eat meat, and I've never really worked out too much (starting too nowadays though, for sporting reasons). Maybe cut down on the coffee but otherwise if it isn't hurting you in any obvious way, you should be fine. I had a medical last year and there was no mention of me being too skinny or anything. I've never had any health problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Why should he eat meat? It's perfectly possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle (and put on weight) without meat.
    It was my understanding that there are certain things you just can't get from anything but meat.

Maybe i'm thinking vegans. Either way meat is a great source of protein and fat and is good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)
    It was my understanding that there are certain things you just can't get from anything but meat.

Maybe i'm thinking vegans. Either way meat is a great source of protein and fat and is good for you.
    There are many sources of protein other than meat. Tofu, soya etc are all foods that vegans can enjoy.

I'm no health expert but I've never really seen vegetarianism vs. meat eating as a health issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andragonous)
    There are many sources of protein other than meat. Tofu, soya etc are all foods that vegans can enjoy.

I'm no health expert but I've never really seen vegetarianism vs. meat eating as a health issue.
    I know there are other sources of protein, but i thought certain essential micronutrients can only be obtained from animal sources.

I think i'm thinking vegans, as you can get the micronutes from eggs and the like afaik.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2014
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.