Turn on thread page Beta

What do you do when a best friend calls off a friendship abruptly? watch

ReputationRep:

I didn't even do anything. He just said its past its expiration date and "its not the same" and now is never going to speak to me again.

Sorry for such a random thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

I didn't even do anything. He just said its past its expiration date and "its not the same" and now is never going to speak to me again.

**** happens. You have to deal with it!

ReputationRep:
    :confused: :confused:

Ooo that makes a pretty pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Nice friend!
    Obviously this guy doesnt deserve you as a friend then!

ReputationRep:

thats awful. but you have to ask whether a true friend would treat you like that, and i think not. maybe you are better of without him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Nice friend!
    Obviously this guy doesnt deserve you as a friend then!
    But we are..were...so close. It's out of the blue.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do?

First mope for a bit. Losing a friend is painful, let's not try and hide the pain or anything.

Then attempt to get them back if you value them so much. If successful, great. If not read on.

Then, mope some more. The pain ain't quite dead.

Then, decide that the friend can't be very good if they can call it off like that. Remind yourself what a good human being you are and that there are people who do/would feel privileged for your friendship. Besides, you're going to uni soon, you'll make your life friendships there.

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and talk to her about it. She may be having personal problems that she can't deal with it. I suddenly stopped seeing my best mate but it happened naturaly rather than via an anouncment.

I hope you manage to sort it out anyway.

ReputationRep:

Find a bigger friend, and get him to beat him up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Find a bigger friend, and get him beat him up.
    Now I do like that

ReputationRep:
    I'm apparently too intelligent for him (what the hell?) and that belittles him. and he's realised I'm not "the one" (where did fancying come in?)...and I need someone on my wavelength.

I emailed him so many times trying to sort it out..txted, sent an ecard, tried to find him at school but he wasn't there, and this is what I get:

"Learn how to let go and split amicably.....or you will end up with more enemies than you deserve (that's what will happen with me if you don't leave it).

Goodbye Rushda, and don't expect a reply to do with this ever again.
    Get on with your own life and enjoy it.
    Carpe diem and the world is your oyster."

*GULP*

ReputationRep:
    Ask him why he feels like that see if you can resolve it. If not then tell him to bugger off.

My guy bestmate has hardly spoken to me since he started dating his girlf last year. He doesnt come out any more, doesnt answer texts or emails. I was nice about it for ages but now I'm at the point when its f*ck off.
    Give him a chance to explain himself but if he means it then he isnt worthy of you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your support people.

And sorry for making such a petty thread about something silly...I'm just...I don't know what to think.

ReputationRep:
    Its sounds like you may patronise him without realising it. Its very hard some times I know. I had a joiner mate and he kind of felt a little bit threatened by the fact my bedroom looked like a library.

ReputationRep:
    here's a hug from me to you. i lost two of my best friends last year. all my mates tell me not to worry, that they werent/arent worth it. it still hurts though. im afraid i have no advice, only sympathy. to be cliched, its something that happens and it hurts like hell but it becomes numb soon. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    Well most people come and go. The true people stick around. You're better off without this person who can't appreciate you enough to stick with you. If it's revenge you're after (you are a Scorpio after all), be safe knowing that they'll regret it

ReputationRep:
    Must say this is quite a random thing to come across. Never heard of such 'goodbyes' in same-sex friendships; anything can happen I guess. I certainly have no experience of it, and it doesn't seem to make much sense. Surely friendships can evolve and change nature over time; they can also end abruptly from arguments and other pointless faffing about; to end abruptly without significant disagreement is just too strange. I would say laughable, but it probably isn't to you.

Only thing I can suggest is talk to them or their other friends (as it is quite a strange occurrence) to see if you can figure out what's going on. For those arguing/suggesting that if someone does this to you it means they don't deserve you as a friend, I find that a little one-sided and nothing more than a convenient way of dealing with it. In reality if the principle of the argument is correct, then it only makes sense to continue being the same person to them - as that is what a true friend would be. Shutting them off as some sort of reflex-response does nothing but reassure them of the same cosy picture that you yourself are underserving as a friend.

ReputationRep:
    go on a vendetta against them, their family, and their new "friends", with your one true friend mr Uzi.

Or you can just be really bitter. that works too.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he fancies you and feels awkward when he's with you. Try and get him to talk about why he's suddenly made this decision. Hopefully you'll be able to work it out. If it's not that he fancies you, you just have to accept that friendships do fade. I'm not close anymore at all with the people who were my best mates at school. It's difficult to accept, but if you can stay friendly (even if you're not best mates anymore) it will be easier for you both. Hope it's ok.

ReputationRep:
    well a friends not really a freind if they just break friendship wth you for no reason, if you would take my advice, dont go asking for them , it will give that person some time to think what they have done and perhaps regret it a contact you. You see some people take things for granted. Hope this helps!!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.