Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    You're talking crap tbh. Yes you will find some med schools that don't require high GCSE grades but you will find a lot which do require high grades, excluding Oxbridge. Birmingham, Cardiff, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Edinburgh to name a few.

Let OP speak for himself pls
    I'm not talking "crap" my dad is a professor and does lectures at a top uni - and he told me all the requirements are just to keep face and ranking. When you apply with predicted grades some people get accepted even if they didn't fully achieve what they were predicted to.

This was further backed when I spoke to one of the staff at Nottingham uni who even told me they wish they could set their requirements lower - but it's all to do with ranking. If they had lower requirements they'd seem like they are a crap uni compared to another uni with higher requirements.

I appreciate that this isn't widely known (though a lot of people know about this and have mentioned it on the forums) but please don't say I'm talking crap.

ReputationRep:
    To OP; don't let anyone discourage you.

They want to discourage others because they've either given up themselves or aren't doing what they like because they believe they can't achieve it.

Loser mentalities deserve not getting what the want. Let them live their mediocre but safe lives. Take the risk if there is a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byakko)
    To OP; don't let anyone discourage you.

They want to discourage others because they've either given up themselves or aren't doing what they like because they believe they can't achieve it.

Loser mentalities deserve not getting what the want. Let them live their mediocre but safe lives. Take the risk if there is a chance.
    I am in my AS year, so neither apply to me.

And are you in med school?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why do people want to go to med school? Is it simply the money or pressure from their family / social community?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Why do people want to go to med school? Is it simply the money or pressure from their family / social community?
    For me;
    -stable career
    -good pay
    -respectable title
    -incredibly interesting
    -helping or even saving people's lives
    -never boring (unless you're a gp/dentist etc - actually this is subjective so I'll just keep it my opinion)

Family usually never has anything to do with it unless you're asian (some)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain Amin)
    I am in my AS year, so neither apply to me.

And are you in med school?
    Zain you're too quick to judge again,
    you're just sharing what you know. So I don't think you're discouraging anyone.

Nothing was directed at you

And no I'm not in med school. I re-sat college four times and school twice. I'm doing HND Biomed this year. Currently shadowing a surgeon and working at a people's home. Aiming for Medicine.

Only one thing I regret is resitting. My marks never improved (CCC) and I could have gotten into HND Biomed in 4 less years. All because I believed GCSE's and A levels mattered.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking "crap" my dad is a professor and does lectures at a top uni - and he told me all the requirements are just to keep face and ranking. When you apply with predicted grades some people get accepted even if they didn't fully achieve what they were predicted to.

This was further backed when I spoke to one of the staff at Nottingham uni who even told me they wish they could set their requirements lower - but it's all to do with ranking. If they had lower requirements they'd seem like they are a crap uni compared to another uni with higher requirements.

I appreciate that this isn't widely known (though a lot of people know about this and have mentioned it on the forums) but please don't say I'm talking crap.
    You are talking crap, you're giving false information to OP. Grades matter. If that is true then why do medical schools like Newcastle and Keele have low grade requirements but are in the top 10 ranked medical schools? There is no solid link between GCSE requirements and rankings. Medical schools care more about student satisfaction in regards to rankings.

Is your dad a lecturer in a medical school or was that Nottingham staff member from the medical school then...?

Medicine is one of the most competitive courses, if not the most. The chances of getting in with grades lower than the entry requirements are very, very small. OP needs to know that while he has a chance of getting into a medical school, he has to satisfy or even greatly exceed the entry requirements because of competitiveness to stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    You are talking crap, you're giving false information to OP. Grades matter. If that is true then why do medical schools like Newcastle and Keele have low grade requirements but are in the top 10 ranked medical schools? There is no solid link between GCSE requirements and rankings. Medical schools care more about student satisfaction in regards to rankings.

Is your dad a lecturer in a medical school or was that Nottingham staff member from the medical school then...?

Medicine is one of the most competitive courses, if not the most. The chances of getting in with grades lower than the entry requirements are very, very small. OP needs to know that while he has a chance of getting into a medical school, he has to satisfy or even greatly exceed the entry requirements because of competitiveness to stand a chance.
    No my dad is an english lecturer and the staff I spoke wasn't to do with the med school.

GCSE requirements have a LOT of leeway if you have good grades in A levels. They almost never consider your GCSE grades unless in comparison to someone with the same grades. Someone with an A* in English/Maths GCSE + AAA won't be prefered to someone with C in English/Maths GCSE + A*AA - and those are the GCSE that actually matter.

GCSE minimum requirements don't mean anything. Go ahead and ask if you can be accepted if you have AAA but your GCSE's are C's - no one will turn you down.

But I'm going to stop discussing this because you really need to do your own research - everyones experiences may differ. Believe what you want. Policies are broken all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I was already planning on retaking my AS exams, I've already started revising, so should I retake one or two GCSEs then like Biology to improve my chances?

ReputationRep:
    No my dad is an english lecturer and the staff I spoke wasn't to do with the med school.
    Exactly, it's not relevant.

GCSE requirements have a LOT of leeway if you have good grades in A levels. They almost never consider your GCSE grades unless in comparison to someone with the same grades. Someone with an A* in English/Maths GCSE + AAA won't be prefered to someone with C in English/Maths GCSE + A*AA - and those are the GCSE that actually matter.

GCSE minimum requirements don't mean anything. Go ahead and ask if you can be accepted if you have AAA but your GCSE's are C's - no one will turn you down.

But I'm going to stop discussing this because you really need to so your own research - everyones experiences may differ. Believe what you want.
    Who is 'they'?

You're an awful troll. You're not even referring to anything about medical school so stop trying to give advice when you have no clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBrownx)
    I was already planning on retaking my AS exams, I've already started revising, so should I retake one or two GCSEs then like Biology to improve my chances?
    I'd recommend not to retake any GCSEs and focus on your A-levels because without extenuating circumstances, if you don't get AAA by the end of A2 you're chances are severely affected tbh.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, if you are struggling at A Levels / GCSE to get the required grades then I don't think you would be good enough at Medical School.

If you get AAA then great, but I wouldn't plan on it.

I wouldn't waste time resiting. Try to a degree and then go into Grad Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Meeting minimum requirements and getting in are 2 different things.

Maybe if he resits he will have a chance.

Nonsense. Utter utter nonsense. Depending where you apply there are a whole load of unis who check you meet the minimum requirements and then give offers based entirely on interview/PS alone.

Please stop spreading false information about something you don't understand yet. There are a lot of people on TSR who DO know what they're talking about and you'd do really well to listen to them and learn.

A key skill for a doctor? Admitting when they are out of their depth and don't know something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Nonsense. Utter utter nonsense. Depending where you apply there are a whole load of unis who check you meet the minimum requirements and then give offers based entirely on interview/PS alone.

Please stop spreading false information about something you don't understand yet. There are a lot of people on TSR who DO know what they're talking about and you'd do really well to listen to them and learn.

A key skill for a doctor? Admitting when they are out of their depth and don't know something.
    I am only telling him something which I read from another thread in this forum.

ReputationRep:
    I am only telling him something which I read from another thread in this forum.

Well don't believe everything you read and instead do research via the unis Or link him to the thread instead

ReputationRep:
    I just found out I can apply for extenuating circumstances. Do I have a higher chance now if I get AAA?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.