Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Really? The Thames handbook says otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As far as I am aware, the people who are notified that they were unsuccessful on the 21st were people who didn't make it to interview.

I was under the impression that as long as you had an interview, you would be on the reserve list because they need to fill all their places and you can never be sure how many people decline offers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    As far as I am aware, the people who are notified that they were unsuccessful on the 21st were people who didn't make it to interview.

I was under the impression that as long as you had an interview, you would be on the reserve list because they need to fill all their places and you can never be sure how many people decline offers.
    Seems reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate. I'll get in touch nearer to October for more info. Breast surgery has put me off slightly. I was hoping for a solid grounding In general/GI surgery.

Also Why do you not like Northwick park or the imperial trust?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Google images --> search Northwick Park Hospital

And it's in Harrow, absolute mission, and a couple of pretty arrogant consultants to top it off. There are some attachments there I know I would hate as an F1/F2.

I don't want to badmouth Imperial trust too much but if you're a junior doctor working at the Imperial hospitals, you should probably have some idea - and being at Imperial I've spoken to many and have had the same sorts of experience myself. Having said that, NW Thames will always be super competitive simply because 1) it's 2 years in London and 2) whenever something becomes competitive, people apply just because it's apparently seen as 'prestigious' etc...

ReputationRep:

I dont think its true, from speaking to peers, I have heard that one person has not been placed on the reserve list (and these should be more as I have not asked many).

In addition, if they are interviewing 2:1, then they can safely assume that not all first round offer holders will reject their places, so would not need reserve lists as big as their initial offer lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodoing)
    I dont think its true, from speaking to peers, I have heard that one person has not been placed on the reserve list (and these should be more as I have not asked many).

In addition, if they are interviewing 2:1 then they can safely assume that not all first round offer holders will reject their places, so would not need reserve lists as big as their initial offer lists.
    Ah, fair enough. Everyone I've spoken to has either gotten a place or been put on the reserve list. I guess you wouldn't be too keen to advertise getting rejected though...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough. Everyone I've spoken to has either gotten a place or been put on the reserve list. I guess you wouldn't be too keen to advertise getting rejected though...

Yeah I guess.

A slightly OT question, for us AFPs, do we still get to findout our SJT score? In a werid way I would like to know how I did on that 'test'...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess.

A slightly OT question, for us AFPs, do we still get to findout our SJT score? In a werid way I would like to know how I did on that 'test'...
    I hope so. If I get a high score I will totally be running a revision course and charging everyone £20 each to listen to me chat complete rubbish about how I managed to fluke a high score :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I hope so. If I get a high score I will totally be running a revision course and charging everyone £20 each to listen to me chat complete rubbish about how I managed to fluke a high score :rolleyes:
    £20, you mean £50. Throw in some valuable facts and some sample questions and a mock test. Do it at multiple venues, that way you are laughing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to badmouth Imperial trust too much but if you're a junior doctor working at the Imperial hospitals, you should probably have some idea - and being at Imperial I've spoken to many and have had the same sorts of experience myself. Having said that, NW Thames will always be super competitive simply because 1) it's 2 years in London and 2) whenever something becomes competitive, people apply just because it's apparently seen as 'prestigious' etc...
    Yup. Good friend of mine works in Chelsea and Westminster and he said that the hospital/Trust is exactly the same as elsewhere. He only chose it because of location...

Research wise, Imperial is at the same level as UCL, Barts, Cambridge and many other areas...in some research areas, Imperial is the best, but not in others.

Also, I heard that only those who fails clinical station during the interview get outright rejection.

ReputationRep:
    £20, you mean £50. Throw in some valuable facts and some sample questions and a mock test. Do it at multiple venues, that way you are laughing.

Ah, see, Barts did it for free...and threw free pizza too!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by morphdoc)
    Oh really. When was it? And what was it called? Was it done by the med school or one of the societies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morphdoc)
    Our Medical School did too (tho don't remember free pizza being offered...). Still, didn't stop people paying £ for extra courses. Even tho I didnt pay for any courses, I still have books at home which I barely read before the exam... Could have bought quite a few pizzas with that.

ReputationRep:
    Academic Medical Education at GKT. Yesssss!! :bban:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feynman'sBongo)
    I'm really chuffed for you!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!

btw, the all process.....................suck s!

ReputationRep:
    Well done mate!

ReputationRep:
    Thats the program at Tommies'? I guess I will be seeing u there then (fingers crossed!)! My AFP is there too! Cardio and pharm!

ReputationRep:
    Thats the program at Tommies'? I guess I will be seeing u there then (fingers crossed!)! My AFP is there too! Cardio and pharm!
    It has one rotation (T&O) at Guy's, but otherwise is at St. Tommies, yeah. See you there!

ReputationRep:
    It has one rotation (T&O) at Guy's, but otherwise is at St. Tommies, yeah. See you there!
    Same here, Ortho at Guys and rest to St Tommies'

ReputationRep:
    Well Done Congrats!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.